Democrats: Would you vote for Ron Wyden/Henry Cuellar?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:12:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Democrats: Would you vote for Ron Wyden/Henry Cuellar?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: skip
I would vote for the Democratic ticket.

No, I would vote Green.

Other(specify below)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 56

Author Topic: Democrats: Would you vote for Ron Wyden/Henry Cuellar?  (Read 2001 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 19, 2016, 09:01:54 PM »

These results should be interesting.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 09:11:06 PM »

Both seem like great men devoted to their work, even if Wyden is a little hawkish for me.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 01:06:06 AM »

They're not my ideal ticket, but I'll be desperate to get rid of Trump at that point.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 04:31:25 AM »

Maybe, depends on how much further gone trump is and he quality of the Green candidate [as in Stein '12/Nader/ Cobb rather than Stein '16/McKinney]
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 04:41:18 AM »

I would be pumped up for the chance to put a Democrat from Tejas in Oval Office.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 06:07:57 AM »

They're not my ideal ticket, but I'll be desperate to get rid of Trump at that point.

This.

Outside of criminals and literal DINO's, there is no Democrat that I wouldn't vote for against Trump. Jim Justice/Zell Miller is better than Trump.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 12:53:35 PM »

Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 02:34:50 PM »

I would be pumped up for the chance to put a Democrat from Tejas in the Naval Observatory.
FTFY.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 03:42:41 PM »

I wish someone could replace the bottom of the ticket - Cuellar is pretty gross for a Dem in a Safe D district.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 04:15:54 PM »

I wish someone could replace the bottom of the ticket - Cuellar is pretty gross for a Dem in a Safe D district.
A D+7 has the potential to be flipped. Keep in mind this is a state George P. Bush won by 26% in 2014. Since Texas is R+10, all it takes is someone who would win statewide by 34%.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 07:02:39 PM »

Absolutely.
Sedona
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.78

P P
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 07:03:01 PM »

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2016, 09:30:56 PM »

Cuellar supported George W. Bush while a sitting Democratic member of Congress.  He's a non-starter.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 01:01:52 PM »

I would be pumped up for the chance to put a Democrat from Tejas in the Naval Observatory.
FTFY.
Thx.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2016, 01:22:44 PM »

Both seem like great men devoted to their work, even if Wyden is a little hawkish for me.

Wait, Ron Wyden is hawkish relative to the rest of the Dem caucus?!?  He opposed the Iraq War when most dems were banging war drums, and has been a great hero on NSA spying/FISA courts. 

Has he taken other positions I don't know about?  IMO he's one of the least authoritarian people in congress.

Anyways, to answer the question, while I LOVE his protection of civil liberties, Wyden is much too right-wing, economically speaking, for my taste.

But I'd vote for him (not in the primary) in the general using the same logic by which I voted for HRC.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2016, 01:47:19 PM »

I don't understand why any Democrat would have sufficient issue with Ron Wyden to vote for a non-Democratic candidate. If you do, you should probably reevaluate your partisan allegiance because Wyden is really damn close to Generic D.

Cuellar I understand the objections to, but I'm not that upset by a bad VP choice, and he's not offensive to my sensibilities even if I disagree with him on a fair amount.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2016, 02:24:20 PM »

I don't understand why any Democrat would have sufficient issue with Ron Wyden to vote for a non-Democratic candidate. If you do, you should probably reevaluate your partisan allegiance because Wyden is really damn close to Generic D.

Cuellar I understand the objections to, but I'm not that upset by a bad VP choice, and he's not offensive to my sensibilities even if I disagree with him on a fair amount.
Wyden is somewhat to the right of Generic D on economic issues and maybe a bit too pro-gun. His top appeal to the base is probably civil liberties and most social issues besides guns. I put Cuellar as his running-mate to accentuate that he is not exactly Generic D for the country.

However, Wyden is pretty close to, if not the definition of, Generic D for Oregon.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2016, 02:41:25 PM »

Wyden is somewhat to the right of Generic D on economic issues and maybe a bit too pro-gun. His top appeal to the base is probably civil liberties and most social issues besides guns. I put Cuellar as his running-mate to accentuate that he is not exactly Generic D for the country.

However, Wyden is pretty close to, if not the definition of, Generic D for Oregon.

Maybe if you're into eyerolling levels of purity tests. There's a big difference between opposing someone in a primary and opposing someone in a general election.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2016, 02:42:38 PM »

It's quite amazing Wyden announced he supports SSM as early as 1995.

I like him very much on such issues as war, health care and privacy. If he would move to the left on trade issues I'd love to see him as a candidate.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2016, 11:36:10 PM »

Unless I face the intimidation characteristic of a totalitarian police state (which America could become under Donald Trump) I can hardly imagine voting for any but the Democratic ticket for President in 2020.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2016, 12:35:17 AM »
« Edited: November 22, 2016, 12:45:49 AM by ERM64man »

I am not even a Democrat. I voted no just to answer the poll. I am a center-right independent who usually votes for moderate Republicans and Libertarians, but occasionally some Democrats.
Cynthia
ueutyi
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -3.63

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2016, 01:42:47 AM »

Ron Wyden would be fine to me, but Henry Cuellar seems better suited for the job called Governor of Texas
anthonyjg
anty1691

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -7.48

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2016, 02:00:06 AM »

I'd be fine voting for Wyden. The Cuellar pick would annoy me but I'd still vote for him.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2016, 02:18:49 AM »

Henry Cuellar would erase any thoughts that Wyden might be worth voting for.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2016, 04:43:26 AM »

Why are we hell bent on predicting which vanilla midget hack with no appeal or charisma will run in 4 years when Trump hasn't even started as President?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies