Can the Dems block Ryan from getting rid of Medicare and Medicaid?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:26:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Can the Dems block Ryan from getting rid of Medicare and Medicaid?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Can the Dems block Ryan from getting rid of Medicare and Medicaid?  (Read 2045 times)
TDantuono
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 19, 2016, 11:00:54 PM »

Seriously? I have family who depend on both. Is there anything they can do to stop Ryan?
JJC

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 11:09:39 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2016, 11:17:59 PM by JJC »

Ryan is not trying to do either of these things. In fact, he's one of the few people trying to make them solvent, so that they don't go bankrupt for future generations.

You see, when you stop imaging people who disagree with your politics as evil inhuman monsters, and actually seek to understand them, your prospects in life become much more brighter, and you will be less constrained by hatred and self-righteousness.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 11:21:46 PM »

Ryan is not trying to do either of these things. In fact, he's one of the few people trying to make them solvent, so that they don't go bankrupt for future generations.

You see, when you stop imaging people who disagree with your politics as evil inhuman monsters, and actually seek to understand them, your prospects in life become much more brighter, and you will be less constrained by hatred and self-righteousness.

Have you been following his statements: https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2016/11/15/paul-ryans-plan-to-phase-out-medicare-is-just-what-democrats-need/

"As part of his strategy, Ryan must convince people that Medicare is all but dead already, so we don’t actually lose much by putting it out of its misery. That’s why he says things like, “Because of Obamacare, Medicare is going broke.” This is not just a lie but the precise opposite of the truth, and Ryan knows full well it is; in fact, the ACA extended the solvency of the Medicare trust fund by over a decade. And be warned: Any time you hear Republicans say the phrase “entitlement reform,” understand that phasing out Medicare is what they’re talking about."
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 11:27:34 PM »

I don't think my opponents are evil inhuman monsters. I do think my opponents have a serious race problem. Is that no longer PC to say?

Also I probably wouldn't mind Ryan's reforms to Medicare as the costs of the program are indeed spiraling.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 11:38:44 PM »

It's pretty rich to see a Republican say something like this...
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 11:43:50 PM »

Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 11:54:41 PM »

He stated they were going to do it, and you're here preaching about the opposition opening its mind about him not wanting to do it? WHAT?

Here's another blasted quote. Could we stop with the condescension and straw men and actually address what they're proposing?

"Through all the gobbledygook and bamboozlement, you'll find this line on Ryan's page: "For younger workers, when they become eligible, Medicare will provide a premium-support payment and a list of guaranteed coverage options – including a traditional fee-for-service option – from which recipients can choose a plan that best suits their needs."

This means, if you haven't gone on Medicare yet, when you do, you won't get Medicare. You'll get a "premium-support payment" - i.e., a check that will allow you to buy insurance from private insurers. The "support" in the phrase means it won't cover the whole amount. And in any case, rather than Medicare you'll have insurance from an insurance company, which everybody should love because haven't you heard from your parents and grandparents how bummed they were when they had to give up their private insurance for Medicare?

You'll hear lots of people calling this "reform" and other catchwords. But Medicare is a single payer, universal health care system. Replacing it with private insurance means getting rid of it. Even calling it "privatization" masks what is really afoot."

Link: https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/ryan-plans-to-phase-out-medicare-in-2017
Cashew
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 12:08:55 AM »

He stated they were going to do it, and you're here preaching about the opposition opening its mind about him not wanting to do it? WHAT?

Here's another blasted quote. Could we stop with the condescension and straw men and actually address what they're proposing?

I guess "he was just being sarcastic when he said literally" is now the default talking point for hacks.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 12:12:17 AM »

It's pretty rich to see a Republican say something like this...

Not necessarily. There's at least one reasonably well-respected measure by which, while Democrats are more tolerant of most things, Republicans are more tolerant of different political opinions.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 12:30:39 AM »

If Paul Ryan actually did this, my opinion of him would go up.
FDRfan1985
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 12:51:49 AM »

I think Paul Ryan is going to fail like Bush did when Bush tried to privatize Social Security.  I'm sure the AARP and the Senior advocacy groups will be out in force as well.
hopper
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 01:23:39 AM »

I don't think Trump would allow Ryan to privatize Medicare and Medicaid. Trump would probably get his veto pen out at that point because Trump is just like the Dems in that he doesn't favor any entitlement reform!
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2016, 05:17:24 AM »

"Through all the gobbledygook and bamboozlement, you'll find this line on Ryan's page: "For younger workers, when they become eligible, Medicare will provide a premium-support payment and a list of guaranteed coverage options – including a traditional fee-for-service option – from which recipients can choose a plan that best suits their needs."

This means, if you haven't gone on Medicare yet, when you do, you won't get Medicare. You'll get a "premium-support payment" - i.e., a check that will allow you to buy insurance from private insurers. The "support" in the phrase means it won't cover the whole amount. And in any case, rather than Medicare you'll have insurance from an insurance company, which everybody should love because haven't you heard from your parents and grandparents how bummed they were when they had to give up their private insurance for Medicare?

You'll hear lots of people calling this "reform" and other catchwords. But Medicare is a single payer, universal health care system. Replacing it with private insurance means getting rid of it. Even calling it "privatization" masks what is really afoot."

Link: https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/ryan-plans-to-phase-out-medicare-in-2017

I was mostly quoting that simply because the OP appears to think Paul Ryan is out for the blood of the OP's family and friends and sincerely wishes their harm..
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2016, 05:21:04 AM »

Paul Ryan read Ayn Rand as a youth and never advanced mentally from that. Of course he wishes OP's family dead - Ryan would cut the cord on his own grandmother to lower the electricity bill.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2016, 05:22:25 AM »

Filibuster in the Senate, call Trump out as a fraud!

Look if you give you huge tax cuts then you have to cut welfare schemes & Medicare/Medicaid has to be then on the chopping block - There can be no 2 ways - I dont think Paul Ryan will blow the debt up further!
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2016, 08:23:27 AM »

Yes, with the Senate filibuster.  This can't be done through reconciliation because it would need to have non-budgetary language in it.  For example, Republicans could cut funding for Obamacare and Medicare, but they couldn't get rid of the mandate or exchanges through reconciliation.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2016, 07:14:32 PM »

Can they try to attach some amendments to the bill that would make Republicans unwilling to vote for it?
hopper
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2016, 07:42:17 PM »

Paul Ryan read Ayn Rand as a youth and never advanced mentally from that. Of course he wishes OP's family dead - Ryan would cut the cord on his own grandmother to lower the electricity bill.
Is that why the Dems ran a campaign ad in 2010 or 2012 with a guy that looked like Ryan(from the side view) dumping granny off her wheelchair and over a cliff?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2016, 07:44:25 PM »

If Paul Ryan actually did this, my opinion of him would go up.

Seriously, what did you see in the Democratic Party platform that made you side with them up until a year ago?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2016, 09:26:50 PM »

Can they try to attach some amendments to the bill that would make Republicans unwilling to vote for it?

That would work too.  Keep proposing amendments that vulnerable Republicans couldn't possibly vote against.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2016, 09:30:21 PM »

That would be the stupid thing to do. Democrats need to let Ryan do just that and allow people to see the repercussions of what that elimination would do. Republicans have total control of the government, so let them make all the decisions and deal with the outcomes.
TDantuono
Rookie
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2016, 10:16:22 PM »

That would be the stupid thing to do. Democrats need to let Ryan do just that and allow people to see the repercussions of what that elimination would do. Republicans have total control of the government, so let them make all the decisions and deal with the outcomes.

And my mother who survives on a dozen medications because she had an organ transplant and Medicare is the only thing making it affordable dies in the process? No.

The Dems need to block this even if it means four years of total gridlock. I am willing to trade every social issue for our social safety net. Or, back off totally on gun control in exchange. My mother will die, or at the very best go bankrupt, without Medicare. If the Dems allow this I will never vote Democrat again, because they will have violated everything they stood for. If they allow the Tea Party dream of repealing the 20th century to go through, I will see it as a betrayal.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2016, 10:46:49 PM »

You expect all those impoverished rural Appalachian counties where everyone's on Medicaid and Trump won 70% of the vote to learn that elections have consequences?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2016, 11:14:55 PM »

And my mother who survives on a dozen medications because she had an organ transplant and Medicare is the only thing making it affordable dies in the process? No.

The Dems need to block this even if it means four years of total gridlock. I am willing to trade every social issue for our social safety net. Or, back off totally on gun control in exchange. My mother will die, or at the very best go bankrupt, without Medicare. If the Dems allow this I will never vote Democrat again, because they will have violated everything they stood for. If they allow the Tea Party dream of repealing the 20th century to go through, I will see it as a betrayal.

I wasn't being completely serious. My point was that sometimes people will only realize an idea is terrible once they feel the consequences. That said, Medicare isn't going anywhere. There are enough self-serving politicians who will save it for reasons of optics.

You expect all those impoverished rural Appalachian counties where everyone's on Medicaid and Trump won 70% of the vote to learn that elections have consequences?

Those places will never learn.
TDantuono
Rookie
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2016, 11:17:21 PM »

I wasn't being completely serious. My point was that sometimes people will only realize an idea is terrible once they feel the consequences. That said, Medicare isn't going anywhere. There are enough self-serving politicians who will save it for reasons of optics.

Those places will never learn.

What about Medicaid? Trump's 100 Day plan calls for block granting it to the states.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies