Can the Dems block Ryan from getting rid of Medicare and Medicaid?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:44:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Can the Dems block Ryan from getting rid of Medicare and Medicaid?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Can the Dems block Ryan from getting rid of Medicare and Medicaid?  (Read 2043 times)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2016, 11:28:57 PM »

And my mother who survives on a dozen medications because she had an organ transplant and Medicare is the only thing making it affordable dies in the process? No.

The Dems need to block this even if it means four years of total gridlock. I am willing to trade every social issue for our social safety net. Or, back off totally on gun control in exchange. My mother will die, or at the very best go bankrupt, without Medicare. If the Dems allow this I will never vote Democrat again, because they will have violated everything they stood for. If they allow the Tea Party dream of repealing the 20th century to go through, I will see it as a betrayal.

I wasn't being completely serious. My point was that sometimes people will only realize an idea is terrible once they feel the consequences. That said, Medicare isn't going anywhere. There are enough self-serving politicians who will save it for reasons of optics.

That would be the stupid thing to do. Democrats need to let Ryan do just that and allow people to see the repercussions of what that elimination would do. Republicans have total control of the government, so let them make all the decisions and deal with the outcomes.

You expect all those impoverished rural Appalachian counties where everyone's on Medicaid and Trump won 70% of the vote to learn that elections have consequences?

Those places will never learn.

What about Medicaid? Trump's 100 Day plan calls for block granting it to the states.

That is something that reallydepends on self-serving politicians. If there are Republicans in states that have benefited from Medicaid expansion who want to keep it to boost clout with constituents, then it has a chance.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2016, 11:41:45 AM »

And my mother who survives on a dozen medications because she had an organ transplant and Medicare is the only thing making it affordable dies in the process? No.

The Dems need to block this even if it means four years of total gridlock. I am willing to trade every social issue for our social safety net. Or, back off totally on gun control in exchange. My mother will die, or at the very best go bankrupt, without Medicare. If the Dems allow this I will never vote Democrat again, because they will have violated everything they stood for. If they allow the Tea Party dream of repealing the 20th century to go through, I will see it as a betrayal.

I wasn't being completely serious. My point was that sometimes people will only realize an idea is terrible once they feel the consequences. That said, Medicare isn't going anywhere. There are enough self-serving politicians who will save it for reasons of optics.

That would be the stupid thing to do. Democrats need to let Ryan do just that and allow people to see the repercussions of what that elimination would do. Republicans have total control of the government, so let them make all the decisions and deal with the outcomes.

You expect all those impoverished rural Appalachian counties where everyone's on Medicaid and Trump won 70% of the vote to learn that elections have consequences?

LOL, apparently neither will Democrats who wish to broaden their coalition...
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2016, 11:42:44 AM »

i think democrats are going to be fine, if unified and practically unopposed republicanism is finally tested.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2016, 01:04:22 PM »

i think democrats are going to be fine, if unified and practically unopposed republicanism is finally tested.
Wasn't it between 2003 and 2007?
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2016, 01:13:41 PM »

basic majorities yeah....but after 2018 maybe absolute majorities from top to bottom, with republicans running record numbers of states too.

even while republicans like to forget they controlled the show between 2003 and 2007 too.
Absolution9
Rookie

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2016, 01:50:27 PM »

I think Trump's political instincts are good enough to not go along with this assuming he wants a second term.  I mean he ran against this stuff in the Republican primary for gods sake!

I am pretty sure Bannon and company are against this as well.  They are more nationalist than ultra conservative.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2016, 03:03:18 PM »

basic majorities yeah....but after 2018 maybe absolute majorities from top to bottom, with republicans running record numbers of states too.

even while republicans like to forget they controlled the show between 2003 and 2007 too.
You think the Democrats will never win again or something?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2016, 03:18:27 PM »

LOL, apparently neither will Democrats who wish to broaden their coalition...

Don't try it. Clinton flipped several counties that are critical to long term Democratic strategy, which is kind of the definition of broadening a coalition. If people in poor places continue to vote for a party that wants reckless cuts to the safety net, then that's their choice and Democrats can do nothing to change that.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2016, 03:21:07 PM »

You think the Democrats will never win again or something?

oh, on the contrary.

i think winning before 2020 and maybe - on presidential level - even 2020 could be tricky for dems.

if the republicans screw up this time, they will lose lots of their 2010/2014 gains....darkest night before light and so on. Wink
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies