when will reilgous influence die on a politcal level?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:05:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  when will reilgous influence die on a politcal level?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: when will reilgous influence die on a politcal level?  (Read 3050 times)
FDRfan1985
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 20, 2016, 01:02:24 AM »

I'm a spiritual person, but it disgusts me how religion tries to influence government policy in a regressive way.
Panda Express

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 03:39:46 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/index.html
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 06:57:10 AM »
« Edited: November 20, 2016, 07:15:39 AM by DC Al Fine »

Religious influence will never completely die out, but in the  sense you mean it, probably in the next 20-30 years.

I'm a spiritual person, but it disgusts me how religion tries to influence government policy in a regressive way.

So I am allowed to have ethics so long as I don't allow it to influence society? Good to know.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 08:53:09 AM »

Yeah... If only the Church checked with the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee before it put anything out in an election year. Get real. And "spiritual" as a word means nothing.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 09:16:24 PM »

Religious influence will never completely die out, but in the  sense you mean it, probably in the next 20-30 years.

So I am allowed to have ethics so long as I don't allow it to influence society? Good to know.

^That's why religion will always have an influence on politics. Both, fundamentally, are statements about what the world is like and how it should be (statements in a different context, but still statements). Christianity seems like its on the decline right now, but that doesn't mean the country will be without religions, it just may have 330 million of them.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 10:53:06 PM »

^That's why religion will always have an influence on politics. Both, fundamentally, are statements about what the world is like and how it should be (statements in a different context, but still statements). Christianity seems like its on the decline right now, but that doesn't mean the country will be without religions, it just may have 330 million of them.

Pew projected that, while religion would be on the decline in the West (or whatever), there would be a greater number of religious people overall due to the increased population growth rates of the developing world. To this, a friend of mine asked "What about when they become developed as us?" I didn't have an answer for the aspiring Randist, but I forgot to reply that history isn't necessarily linear and perpetually doomed to march forward.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 11:10:12 AM »

*tips fedora*
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 12:17:53 PM »

Well in an American context:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Establishment_Clause

Though admittedly "society" and "the state" are not the same thing, but it's undeniable that certain religious groups in the US do their best to get state-sanctioned power on their side (and are often, successful - particularly at the state and local levels).

Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2016, 03:51:06 PM »

Never.

It's honestly pretty funny that Atlas is dreaming of some random future where atheistic (or Christian-In-Name-Only) norms are the only ones present in politics, while in the real world, Roe vs. Wade is set to die as soon as Ginsburg leaves SCOTUS.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2016, 06:02:24 PM »

What is this idea?

Religiosity in the US has moved on a sine wave curve for centuries now. We're at a low ebb, at the moment, sure. That just means it's a couple of years before the Sixth Great Awakening.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 08:09:25 PM »

It's honestly pretty funny that Atlas is dreaming of some random future where atheistic (or Christian-In-Name-Only) norms are the only ones present in politics, while in the real world, Roe vs. Wade is set to die as soon as Ginsburg leaves SCOTUS.

You do remember that Kennedy was the author of the Planned Parenthood v. Casey decision, don't you?  While a shift of one justice might be enuf to have SCOTUS tinker some more with abortion, it'll take the replacement of at least two sitting justices to have Roe be fully overturned.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2016, 08:52:40 PM »

You do remember that Kennedy was the author of the Planned Parenthood v. Casey decision, don't you? 

So? Replace Scalia and Ginsburg with pro-lifers, and that plus Roberts, Alito, Thomas is 5 votes against Roe. Kennedy's vote doesn't matter.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 12:23:29 AM »

You do remember that Kennedy was the author of the Planned Parenthood v. Casey decision, don't you? 

So? Replace Scalia and Ginsburg with pro-lifers, and that plus Roberts, Alito, Thomas is 5 votes against Roe. Kennedy's vote doesn't matter.

There's no solid evidence that Roberts or Alito would vote to overturn Roe. Just conjecture.

And even if they would, Trump will have a hard time getting one, much less two, justices confirmed that would join them. Assuming he even cares enough to try.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2016, 01:28:05 AM »
« Edited: November 26, 2016, 06:50:04 AM by True Federalist »

You really think that Roberts would seek to overturn Roe on a slender 5-4 ruling?  Roberts is conservative, not reactionary.  As would be the case with any established precedent, he's going to need something firmer than "I think abortion is bad" to overturn Roe completely.  The most Roberts would do is give cover to those who seek to indirectly ban abortion by overregulating it to death.

As for Alito, I'll grant that it was back when he was an appellate court judge, but he joined in a decision (Planned Parenthood of Central N.J. v. Farmer (3d Circuit 2000)) finding New Jersey's Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act of 1997 to be unconstitutional. So I think he too is going to be in the camp of needing something more than just "abortion is bad" to overturn Roe.

Were Roe not already part of the law of the land, both justices certainly would not vote to find a previously undiscovered right to an abortion, but it is part of the law of the land and while both will likely vote to uphold restrictions, that's not the same as overturning.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 02:26:25 AM »

^ Sure, I'll grant that there's like a 20% chance that Roberts could be persuaded to uphold Roe, but Alito would never even consider it. The guy is a conservative rubber stamp.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2016, 11:48:46 AM »

Yeah... If only the Church checked with the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee before it put anything out in an election year. Get real. And "spiritual" as a word means nothing.

Maybe not to you crazy Catholics. Smiley

Anyway, the answer is obviously never.
Kytax

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2016, 12:34:59 PM »

It all depends on how developed the US is in the future, hopefully we'd be able to make the first secular nation secular again.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2016, 01:15:23 PM »

Obviously, I meant in the context of that God-awful sentence. What, possibly, could "spiritual, but not religious," mean outside of some half-baked cop out for the extremely shallow? I suppose my routine skipping of mass doesn't make me a hypocrite, it just makes me "spiritual".
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2016, 06:11:33 PM »

What is this idea?

Religiosity in the US has moved on a sine wave curve for centuries now. We're at a low ebb, at the moment, sure. That just means it's a couple of years before the Sixth Great Awakening.

Remember I said this.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2016, 09:03:08 PM »

Obviously, I meant in the context of that God-awful sentence. What, possibly, could "spiritual, but not religious," mean outside of some half-baked cop out for the extremely shallow? I suppose my routine skipping of mass doesn't make me a hypocrite, it just makes me "spiritual".

Cathcon, you're part of a vanishing breed; Catholics who know they are bad Catholics rather than insisting they are good Catholics or abandoning the faith altogether.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2016, 09:26:05 PM »

Cathcon, you're part of a vanishing breed; Catholics who know they are bad Catholics rather than insisting they are good Catholics or abandoning the faith altogether.

I'm intensely self-critical and, simultaneously, for personal reasons would likely never entirely disavow the Church, thus my current status.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2016, 12:59:42 PM »

I'm intensely self-critical and, simultaneously, for personal reasons would likely never entirely disavow the Church, thus my current status.

We won't reach much common ground on this, my brother.  Lutheranism was the first to break off, and it very, very, very defiantly rejects the concept that guilt should play any role in your religious beliefs or practices.  There's no such thing as being a "bad Lutheran," as we believe that God gave us grace through faith and not through good works, and anyone who would commit expressly bad works and not seek forgiveness from (what we believe to be) a perfect and ever-forgiving (only for true remorse, of course) God would not have true faith in the first place.  Or something like that ... missed Easter last year.

As for "spiritual but not religious," for me it is something not to overthink about and simply describes someone who does not identify with a major religion but believes in a higher consciousness and creator that ties the Universe together.  Some people become sticklers about scripture and dogma, but I have no problem calling such a thing God or believing that this being is the ACTUAL God that we have made many failed attempts to describe through allegory and religion.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2016, 08:22:12 PM »

Never.

ProLife opposition to Roe V. Wade has nothing to do with religion.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2016, 09:31:23 PM »

Never.

Yes it does, at least for many of us. 
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2016, 11:21:54 PM »

Never.

Yes it does, at least for many of us. 

I know of a number of pro-life atheists and used to be one myself. If anything, the pro-life position comes more naturally under an atheistic worldview than a Christian one.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies