Howard Dean endorses* Gillibrand for president in 2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:21:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Howard Dean endorses* Gillibrand for president in 2020
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Howard Dean endorses* Gillibrand for president in 2020  (Read 4737 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 20, 2016, 01:28:25 PM »

[* Not really an endorsement.]

The quasi-endorsements are starting early this time:

http://www.registerstar.com/news/article_53afce3e-ade6-11e6-9e2d-770246b848ab.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

My favorite part of this story is what they do next: Print excerpts from a bunch of “man-on-the-street” interviews with people about Gillibrand 2020.  Seriously, they stopped a New Jersey resident visiting a Hudson art gallery to ask her what she thought about Gillibrand for president.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 01:32:52 PM »

[* Not really an endorsement.]

The quasi-endorsements are starting early this time:

http://www.registerstar.com/news/article_53afce3e-ade6-11e6-9e2d-770246b848ab.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

My favorite part of this story is what they do next: Print excerpts from a bunch of “man-on-the-street” interviews with people about Gillibrand 2020.  Seriously, they stopped a New Jersey resident visiting a Hudson art gallery to ask her what she thought about Gillibrand for president.

No. The party needs a real progressive to be competitive in the Midwest and to bring out millennials. Enough with the identity politics!
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 01:38:42 PM »

I'd love to see Gillibrand run, but I don't think she'd be a very good candidate. She's basically Hillary Clinton minus both the scandal and the achievements. What does that leave you with?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 01:39:10 PM »

Dean lost his mojo. More at 11.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 01:40:50 PM »

Gillibrand strikes me as Hillary without all of his Hillary's extra baggage from being in the spotlight for close to three decades.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 02:10:46 PM »

I feel much like Ernst (a talented politico in her own right) has been tarnished with the Sarah Palin image, Gillibrand will very much be seen as the Hillary Clinton redo
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 02:12:18 PM »

Gillibrand is a serial flip flopper, and, as a Democrat, will be subjected to media scrutiny, so that could be a problem for her.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 02:23:00 PM »

I'd love to see Gillibrand run, but I don't think she'd be a very good candidate. She's basically Hillary Clinton minus both the scandal and the achievements. What does that leave you with?
I don't see it. She doesn't seem anywhere near as sharp as Hillary. Also, she has a very affective way of communicating, whereas Hillary has a more technocratic way of communicating. Would people even compare them if they didn't happen to be women elected to the senate from New York?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 02:24:23 PM »
« Edited: November 20, 2016, 02:25:55 PM by Maxwell »

I don't see it. She doesn't seem anywhere near as sharp as Hillary. Also, she has a very affective way of communicating, whereas Hillary has a more technocratic way of communicating. Would people even compare them if they didn't happen to be women elected to the senate from New York?

well yes - both change their views for political reasons. Gillibrand started her career as a blue dog democrat and flipped when she got elected to the Senate.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 02:28:52 PM »

Howard Lobbyist Dean bribing people to stop good healthcare proposals for the middle class supports another "Pragmatic" progressive. What was it with Hillary? "Progressive who can get things done".

Another charisma vacuum who is as bland as a vanilla midget & will cozy up to Big money. Do you think strong progressives will allow any1 taking millions of $ from Wall Street, Big Pharma & Big Oil to win?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 03:55:10 PM »

Honestly, can't you stop with the coronations? And Dean is running for DNC Chair, a job that requires neutrality, and not another DWS. You haven't even done the autopsy yet! Trump hasn't even been inaugurated!
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 03:56:16 PM »

The problem with Gillibrand is that she's basically Hillary Clinton lite. These so-called "pragmatic progressives" are not real progressives at all, but are actually centrist Third Way Democrats. That is not the way for the party to go.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2016, 03:56:56 PM »

Honestly, can't you stop with the coronations? And Dean is running for DNC Chair, a job that requires neutrality, and not another DWS. You haven't even done the autopsy yet! Trump hasn't even been inaugurated!

This is why I support Keith Ellison for DNC Chair
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2016, 04:03:25 PM »

Why doesn't Howard Dean just run himself?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2016, 04:06:42 PM »

Because that would be the end of those sweet lobbyist dollars.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2016, 04:09:34 PM »

Not only are we going to New Hampshire, Tom Harkin...
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2016, 04:24:12 PM »

Why doesn't Howard Dean just run himself?

Maybe he will!  He floated the idea of running in 2016 for a while, but ultimately declined.  Maybe he'll scream his way into contention for 2020.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2016, 04:39:10 PM »

Yeah, he really sold out.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2016, 05:40:14 PM »

Gillibrand would be fantastic. And unlike a lot of the unelectable leftists floated on this forum, she actually has a record of winning over northern white working class rural areas that Democrats need.

SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2016, 05:43:01 PM »

Gillibrand would be fantastic. And unlike a lot of the unelectable leftists floated on this forum, she actually has a record of winning over northern white working class rural areas that Democrats need.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2016, 05:51:36 PM »

Well the 2008-version Clinton was also good at winning over working class whites (see the primary also). No idea what happened to her in the past 8 years.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2016, 05:52:02 PM »

And unlike a lot of the unelectable leftists floated on this forum, she actually has a record of winning over northern white working class rural areas that Democrats need.

If she flipped back to being more supportive of gun rights, she'd be quite a force in a general election.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2016, 05:52:12 PM »

Well the 2008-version Clinton was also good at winning over working class whites (see the primary also). No idea what happened to her in the past 8 years.

Literally what happened.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2016, 06:02:20 PM »

I feel much like Ernst (a talented politico in her own right) has been tarnished with the Sarah Palin image, Gillibrand will very much be seen as the Hillary Clinton redo
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2016, 06:13:25 PM »

I like Sen. Gillibrand.  I've written to her a few times and she's responded to help, but this is stupid.  Trump isn't even president yet.  We don't need to "endorse*" anyone for 2020.  Especially not from someone who's running to be chair of the DNC!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies