If the source, should Rove be jailed?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:41:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  If the source, should Rove be jailed?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: If Rove is the WH source in the Plame case, should he go to jail?
Yes

No

Not sure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: If the source, should Rove be jailed?  (Read 4348 times)
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2005, 10:08:35 AM »

CIA 'outing' might fall short of crime

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is the best indication we have so far that Plame was not covert at the time of the leak and, more importantly, that she had not been covert for six years prior to the leak (the law sets five years as the protected period).

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2005, 10:17:06 AM »

This is the best indication we have so far that Plame was not covert at the time of the leak and, more importantly, that she had not been covert for six years prior to the leak (the law sets five years as the protected period).

How do you know that she wasn't covert more recently? Plus, her covert company was outted too. I really hope you're not condoning what Rove did.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2005, 10:19:34 AM »

His attorney is obviosuly going to try & put the best face on this whole situation, we will see what happens, but the bottom line is he did release information regarding an undercover CIA agent & that goes against what the administration was syaing prior to this revelation

She was not undercover at the time she sent her husband to Africa, but rather an analyst for the CIA on WMDs.  She had worked undercover in the 1990s.

She was absolutely under-cover when she was outed.

Joe Wilson has, from the very beginning, insisted that Rove named his wife.  There is still no indication that he did.  It is also curious that Wilson immediately named Rove as the source of the leak.  What information about the leak did Wilson have when the story broke?

Wilson's statement above is an argument that "doesn't stand the smell test".  Is he actually claiming that his wife's cover identity consisted of her taking her husband's name when she married him?  If so, then MODU is right, no wonder we have such intelligence problems!

I believe there was a whistleblower.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2005, 10:23:21 AM »

How do you know that she wasn't covert more recently?

Because Wilson basicly said so:

Her value as a covert operative died when she married Wilson.  Being married to a former ambassador and member of Clinton's national security team isn't exactly low-profile.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2005, 10:35:08 AM »

How do you know that she wasn't covert more recently?

Because Wilson basicly said so:

Her value as a covert operative died when she married Wilson.  Being married to a former ambassador and member of Clinton's national security team isn't exactly low-profile.

Basically said so? She's covert CIA. She doesn't have to tell your sorry asses exactly what she's done.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2005, 10:47:04 AM »

Valerie Plame was covert.

The CIA says: "If she was not undercover, we would have no reason to file a criminal referral".

http://www.billingsgazette.com/index.php?ts=1&display=rednews/2003/10/01/build/nation/25-leak.inc

Any more grand treason apoligist talking points?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2005, 12:02:30 PM »

The CIA says: "If she was not undercover, we would have no reason to file a criminal referral".

http://www.billingsgazette.com/index.php?ts=1&display=rednews/2003/10/01/build/nation/25-leak.inc

Your link isn't working, and it's not "grand treason." 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2005, 12:07:35 PM »

The link works fine, and I love how the new talking points are to argue anything that can change the argument from Rove outted covert CIA agent Plame.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2005, 12:18:33 PM »

The link works fine, and I love how the new talking points are to argue anything that can change the argument from Rove outted covert CIA agent Plame.

Please post either the whole article or the title of the article so I can find a mirror site.  The link does not work on my end.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2005, 01:51:58 PM »

I seriously wondering if Joe Wilson might not have tipped someone off.

I wonder who talked to the NYT reporter.  Rove has repeatedly said anyoen he talked to does not need to protect him as a confidential source.  He has even signed documents releasing them from any confidentiality agreements.

So, who told the New York Times?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is important.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2005, 02:22:58 PM »

I wonder who talked to the NYT reporter.  Rove has repeatedly said anyoen he talked to does not need to protect him as a confidential source.  He has even signed documents releasing them from any confidentiality agreements.

This is important.

Rove
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2005, 05:02:38 PM »

This is important.

Rove

Fact: Rove has signed a release waiving confidentiality over the whole Plame affair.  Any reorter who spoke to him about it is free to talk to the judge, special investigator, other reporters or you without worrying about breaking a promise of confidentiality given to Karl Rove.

Fact: NYT reporter Judith Millier is still refusing to say who her source was due to a promise of confidentiality.

Conclusion:  Rove was not her source.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2005, 05:17:25 PM »

This is important.

Rove

Fact: Rove has signed a release waiving confidentiality over the whole Plame affair.  Any reorter who spoke to him about it is free to talk to the judge, special investigator, other reporters or you without worrying about breaking a promise of confidentiality given to Karl Rove.

Fact: NYT reporter Judith Millier is still refusing to say who her source was due to a promise of confidentiality.

Was the release for Cooper or everyone.  Keep in mind that Cooper did not reveal his source until after Rove personally contacted him.  For all you know what he told Miller may heve been more damaging legally than what he told Cooper.  Miller could be serving time out of principle as well.  Not saying Rove was her source or not, but you simply can't make that conclusion either way
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2005, 05:48:44 PM »

This is important.

Rove

Was the release for Cooper or everyone.  Keep in mind that Cooper did not reveal his source until after Rove personally contacted him.  For all you know what he told Miller may heve been more damaging legally than what he told Cooper.  Miller could be serving time out of principle as well.  Not saying Rove was her source or not, but you simply can't make that conclusion either way

According to Luskin (not unbiased, I know, but how could he lie about this and get away with it?), the waiver covers everyone:

So what about Cooper's last-minute reprieve?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2005, 05:56:32 PM »

This is important.

Rove

According to Luskin (not unbiased, I know, but how could he lie about this and get away with it?), the waiver covers everyone:

So what about Cooper's last-minute reprieve?

It is one thing for a waiver & one thing to give additonal consent which is what happened with Cooper.  For all you know he could have said something more damaging to Miller & that is why he gave the added consent with Cooper & not Miller.  I'm not saying its the case, but at this point you just don't know.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2005, 06:54:01 PM »

This is important.

Rove

Fact: You never admit defeat
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2005, 07:20:28 PM »

This is important.

Rove

Fact:  We don't take your word for it, or pretty much on anything. 

There was the release, so if Miller is protecting Rove, it's out of priniciple.

There is a problem with Cooper as well; the email was sent on the same day as the Novak colume appeared.

There are some problems with the prosecution. 

1.  Was Plame actually covered by the act?  If she wasn't covert agent outside of the US, anybody could have given the information.

2.  If so, was the information out prior to the e-mail?

3.  If she was a covert agent, did Rove know that she was?

4.  Was there intent on Rove's part to blow Plame's cover?

The only point that is clear is that Cooper's notes indicate that the purpose of Rove's comments were to indicate that neither Tennet nor Cheney sent Wilson to Niger.  It was basically, don't run with the story that Cheney/Tennet sent Wilson; it's not accurate.

Keep something else in mind; nobody "outed" Wilso until Wilson went public.

ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2005, 08:33:00 PM »

This is important.

Rove

If you ever defeat me, I will gladly admit it.

On that day I expect Satan to be ice skating to work.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies