Precinct map of Harris County, TX/Houston, TX
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:00:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Precinct map of Harris County, TX/Houston, TX
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Precinct map of Harris County, TX/Houston, TX  (Read 2209 times)
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 20, 2016, 10:03:37 PM »

http://m.chron.com/news/politics/article/Results-How-Houston-voted-in-the-2016-10599554.php?cmpid=twitter-mobile

I'm shocked to see the collapse of Republican support in Bellaire, Uptown/Galleria area, and parts of Downtown Houston and Midtown. It's safe to say that a lot of third party voters in this area hurt Trump than it did Clinton.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 10:38:10 PM »

Uptown and Galleria area results are daunting, but expected. The super wealthy villages northwest of that  area stayed republican, but I don't know if Trump's margins are better than Romney's.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 10:39:13 PM »

None of this is really surprising considering that Clinton swung a lot of the college educated vote.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 10:53:30 PM »

Uptown and Galleria area results are daunting, but expected. The super wealthy villages northwest of that  area stayed republican, but I don't know if Trump's margins are better than Romney's.

Uptown/Galleria/West U people are more similar to affluent white voters in non-Southern cities. They're not at all socially conservative and they work in technology, finance, healthcare and academia (Texas Medical Center is nearby, along with Rice and the University of Houston).

The Villages are more old-school Houston rich people - good old boy oilmen who drive Suburbans and go hunting and go to Baptist services on Sundays.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 10:58:52 PM »

It's hard to find a worse Republican for Texas than Trump. He should do better in his re-election bid there, though (if it's a competitive race).

The key is his approval rating. If it's not above 50% by 2020, Texas will be near battleground status.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 02:47:49 AM »

Question is: If these voters don't support Trump, can they be convinced to vote against members of his party who support him?

Culberson needs to be targeted going into 2018. If nothing else than to test the waters.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 09:40:51 AM »

It's hard to find a worse Republican for Texas than Trump. He should do better in his re-election bid there, though (if it's a competitive race).

The problem with this though...is that Trump won the rustbelt area largely on his populist message which is exactly the kind of message that doesn't do well in Texas.   

The Texas economy is doing pretty good and has lots of educated voters,  the rustbelt is almost the exact opposite.    If the Republicans want to keep the Rustbelt they will have to take in the drawbacks that brings with the rest of the country.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 01:14:54 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2016, 01:21:14 PM by AKCreative »

So have both TX-2 and TX-7 trended toward the dems?  

The overall Atascocita area still looks very Republican for TX-2.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 04:03:53 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2016, 05:43:59 PM by BaldEagle1991 »

The problem with this though...is that Trump won the rustbelt area largely on his populist message which is exactly the kind of message that doesn't do well in Texas.  

The Texas economy is doing pretty good and has lots of educated voters,  the rustbelt is almost the exact opposite.    If the Republicans want to keep the Rustbelt they will have to take in the drawbacks that brings with the rest of the country.

That's seems to be true. Although, Houston is culturally a Rust Belt city in Texas. Some of Trump's message resonated well here. It's apparent the educated Houstonian did not buy into it.

Question is: If these voters don't support Trump, can they be convinced to vote against members of his party who support him?

Culberson needs to be targeted going into 2018. If nothing else than to test the waters.

He's safe for the most part, unless Hispanics move into West Houston en masse. Which isn't happening. I think there was a lot of split ticket voting in Culberson's district this time around. The Harris County DA and Sheriff's map (I need to find it, I lost the URL) was similar to the 2012 presidential map.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 04:57:33 PM »

I was surprised to see that many parts of Cy-Fair continued to remain so heavily Republican (Copperfield), as well as some other areas in NW Harris North of the 1960 like Champions Forest and roughly between Cypress and Louetta....

I haven't pulled the 2012 Harris County precinct results to look at swings, but there are a fair amount of educated Anglo professionals living out in those places, as well as significant populations of Latinos and others mixed into many of these neighborhoods.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 07:37:27 PM »

So have both TX-2 and TX-7 trended toward the dems?  

The overall Atascocita area still looks very Republican for TX-2.

Hillary carried TX-07 by a slim margin. Trump won TX-02, but only with about 52%~~ of the vote.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 05:56:48 AM »

I wonder why Clear Lake City is red. Trump is not a big fan of funding NASA and it's mostly an educated bunch living there, almost as educated as Galleria/Uptown.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 08:45:32 PM »

I wonder why Clear Lake City is red. Trump is not a big fan of funding NASA and it's mostly an educated bunch living there, almost as educated as Galleria/Uptown.

When has he ever said this?
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 09:39:52 PM »

When has he ever said this?

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2016/11/10/future-space-top-issues-facing-president-elect-donald-trump.html

I had to read it and I might say he is a fan of NASA, but he's more focused on privatized space programs.

Yes, I had to use Fox News as as source. Eeek.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies