How to resolve the tie?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:40:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  How to resolve the tie?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How to resolve the tie?  (Read 972 times)
Anna Komnene
Siren

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 21, 2016, 02:18:03 AM »
« edited: November 21, 2016, 02:20:20 AM by Siren »

So here's what the Federal Electoral Act says about tied runoffs.  As you can see, it starts out by saying that the two candidates can agree to serve half terms.  Then in clause four it says "If a runoff for a Presidential election results in a tie, the House of Representatives may choose of the two candidates to be President."  To me, "may" suggests that the House can choose not to do that and let the half terms scenario play out, but it's definitely pretty vague.  Personally, I've never liked the idea of any Congress choosing who wins because it just ends up being a partisan vote (like if it happened in a 269 or less US pres. election).  I can see reasons why the half terms idea might not be ideal too though.

Anyway, I'd like to hear what everyone thinks!  Do you think the House should decide or do you prefer the half terms scenario?  Bonus points if you base it in the constitution or the electoral act.  Smiley

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 02:20:11 AM »

Yankee should be seated. Period.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 02:48:00 AM »

To me, it appears that first the candidates can come to an agreement to share the term, and if they can't agree, then it goes to the House. I am basing this on the order in which these options appear, as they are numbered after all.

I really think it would be best if they did share terms though. It's like you said, throwing it to the House inevitably results in partisan decisions and one side will be bitter (though it already seems like that is the case!)
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 02:55:37 AM »

Labor overriding a result they didn't like through the courts isn't exactly *easing* partisanship. We've already had the Labor presidency this term via Truman.

Yankee needs to be seated for the remainder of his term. 
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 12:42:41 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2016, 03:42:10 PM by Speaker NeverAgain »

Labor overriding a result they didn't like through the courts isn't exactly *easing* partisanship. We've already had the Labor presidency this term via Truman.

Yankee needs to be seated for the remainder of his term.  

Well, he received the same amount of votes as his opponent. So that's not too fair, my friend. I want to see this come to a reasonable conclusion, not partisan bickoring. "MUH BLAIR (OR YANKEE IS PRESIDENT!!!111" isn't helping... The Supreme Court ruled (and is ruling), and now we need to find a solution.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 02:06:21 PM »

To me, it appears that first the candidates can come to an agreement to share the term, and if they can't agree, then it goes to the House. I am basing this on the order in which these options appear, as they are numbered after all.

I really think it would be best if they did share terms though. It's like you said, throwing it to the House inevitably results in partisan decisions and one side will be bitter (though it already seems like that is the case!)
Co-sharing power sounds like a good option to me. I don't believe Yankee and RPryor are interested in sharing power, though. I know that I, for one, have never been interested in holding power over Atlasia, but rather I have only been interested in serving for Atlasia. That is exactly why I am willing to share power and why I hope Blair is willing to share power, too.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 02:11:24 PM »

Candidate I voted for should win even if he didn't really win. Period. Democracy.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 03:15:13 PM »

tbh the federalist ticket should be disqualified due to rpryor's blatant tampering
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 04:18:58 PM »

I agree with this, provided both parties are willing to come to the table.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 04:27:27 PM »

Execute both candidates. We have Truman as President for the entire term and everybody's happy.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 04:30:49 PM »

We have Truman as President for the entire term and everybody's happy.
This works too. Wink
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 06:06:33 PM »

This isn't a dictatorship.  You don't get to steal an election just because you're a sore loser.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 06:25:42 PM »

I'd prefer that this election go to the House. Because the House is still a voting body that is responsible to the wishes of the folks it serves. While a deal made in a smoke filled room to "share the power" by the two candidates reeks of oligarchy.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 08:15:58 PM »

I don't believe Yankee and RPryor are interested in sharing power, though. I know that I, for one, have never been interested in holding power over Atlasia, but rather I have only been interested in serving for Atlasia.

[citation needed]

You seem to be accusing someone who has put in 8 years of "serving for Atlasia," where he has been supported as PPT in left-wing Senates and continually declined running for President until Tmth left and his party needed him, of being power-hungry and selfish, and elevating yourself to a pedestal of virtue, with absolutely no backing from fact whatsoever.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2016, 08:16:13 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Funny. For a dictatorship, we still have an unelected Laborite as President.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2016, 08:43:06 PM »

I'd prefer that this election go to the House. Because the House is still a voting body that is responsible to the wishes of the folks it serves. While a deal made in a smoke filled room to "share the power" by the two candidates reeks of oligarchy.

It wouldn't really be a deal made in a smoke filled room though.  The electoral act just says that they each serve half a term and can decide which one goes first.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2016, 10:26:09 PM »

I don't believe Yankee and RPryor are interested in sharing power, though. I know that I, for one, have never been interested in holding power over Atlasia, but rather I have only been interested in serving for Atlasia.

[citation needed]

You seem to be accusing someone who has put in 8 years of "serving for Atlasia," where he has been supported as PPT in left-wing Senates and continually declined running for President until Tmth left and his party needed him, of being power-hungry and selfish, and elevating yourself to a pedestal of virtue, with absolutely no backing from fact whatsoever.

I have not. If Yankee and RPryor agree to negotiations, I believe that would be admirable. This public pressure hopefully would help encourage them.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2016, 10:35:08 PM »

[citation needed]

I have not. If Yankee and RPryor agree to negotiations, I believe that would be admirable. This public pressure hopefully would help encourage them.

Uh...you're not saying "I don't know what they think" (which is accurate) but that "I don't believe they are" and then acting like "public pressure" will encourage them, implying they had previously said no.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies