Are the Republicans eventually in trouble down the road? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:49:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Are the Republicans eventually in trouble down the road? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are the Republicans eventually in trouble down the road?  (Read 2539 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« on: November 21, 2016, 03:59:28 PM »

Republicans are overly dependent on older voters and have essentially written off the Millennial generation for years, and probably completely with 4 years of Trump. 18-29 is a critical time in a person's life, where many views on the world, various issues and political parties are developed and hardened. The way the GOP has reacted to a changing America and how Millennials accept that is almost as if they implemented a strategy specifically to alienate future generations of voters post-Reagan.

Between the rapid growth of racial minorities, the decline of religion and Millennials eating up more and more of the electorate, Republicans should, imo, expect to see significant electoral problems in the early-mid 2020s, when Millennials come to make up at least half of actual voters.

It's hard to see how it will all play out, but Republicans shouldn't think that unified control and big downballot success right now means they have solid footing going into the future. Democrats probably thought the same in 1992/2008, and yet everything changed 2 years later.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 04:52:41 PM »

But that's a much more mild statement than what you seemed to be hinting at in the rest of your post.

What I was trying to say was that I don't know exactly where and when Republicans will flameout, or how long the process will be. What I do believe is that diverging so far from the interests of future generations while also alienating them far beyond what a typical disagreement on various policy would entail is going to be devastating to Republicans in the future. The numbers Republican post with minorities and young people in general are absolutely horrid, and in a future where each generation is more and more diverse, it presents a huge issue for them. I mean, as I alluded to before, it's not even just diversification by a substantial difference of opinion on many issues that Millennials care deeply about.

But any reasonably informed political observer knows that.  The more provocative question, which is I think what the thread is supposed to be about, is whether the next reversal of fortunes won't be just another cycle in the back-and-forth of American politics, but a precursor to the Dems having some kind of growing structural advantage due to demographic changes.

Well when I say "significant electoral problems," I mainly mean that the GOP is going to increasingly find itself out-voted in many regions when Millennials age more and begin voting more regularly, as is usual with age<>voting. I don't believe they will have any substantial redistricting advantage this round, either. Not with such an incumbent in the WH that will, imo, inevitably drag their party down quite a bit. I could be wrong on that, but I don't think I am.

An issue I do see is that Democrats do not seem to have prospects for an enduring Senate majority. The coalition of states Democrats can compete in do not give me hope, and I see no trends that could deliver such in my timeframe. I do think Democrats could maintain a small Senate majority for years, but it seems it would be based more on good timing and luck, and not by sheer power of favorable states.

The House is also tricky, and I'd like to see how Trump plays out and how redistricting goes. America is still urbanizing though, and a party heavily reliant on rural/exurban and to a degree, suburban voters is not in the best situation. I don't have the voting habits by age for individual districts, but dollars to doughnuts that it is dispersed enough to flip the House for an extended period of time, whenever those voters grow up and what appears to be equally Democratic voters take their spot in the younger age group.

The presidency I believe is just getting harder for Republicans to pull off, and would be a main advantage for Democrats for possibly however long it takes Republicans to make large inroads with minorities and young people, with every 4 years being more and more difficult. With the right candidates, I really would not be surprised if Democrats went on a 3-cycle streak in 2020+

That is, is it just that the Republicans shouldn't think that they "have solid footing going into the future" based on their current victory, because no victory indicates "solid footing"?  Or is it that it's the Dems who have solid footing going into the future, and the '16 presidential election was just a hiccup?

Long-term, I think Democrats have a solid future and the GOP is on the rocks. Given the trends among the 18-24 age group, I'm coming to see 2016 as more of a Carter 2.0 situation. The GOP is clearly on the wrong side of America's rising generations, and they can't seem to fully appreciate that because older voters keep delivering them wins.

When you have another decade's worth of older voters die off, bringing down a huge number of the GOP's most reliable voters and not nearly enough new voters to replace them, you rapidly run into a problem that may have not been that apparent just years beforehand.

I think Democrats will maintain a presidential advantage, and eventually establish a more reliable majority, even if small, in the House, whose timing depends on what transpires over the next 4-5 years.

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 12:29:49 AM »
« Edited: November 22, 2016, 12:31:37 AM by Virginia »

Thr assumption that rising Hispanic vote makes them doomed in the long run seems as delusional as claiming the rising Irish population back in the day would always vote lockstep together.

Texas, Florida and Arizona, combined with the other states already nearly out of reach will eventually create even bigger headaches. It's not like Hispanic Texans are far more Republican-leaning at the presidential level, they were only a little more Republican than the national average in both 2008 and 2016 (no data for 2012 afaik). Honestly, the voting patterns of 18-29 & 30-39 in TX ought to worry Republicans in the long-term view. Their margins are getting worse as time goes on and it's creeping up through the older age groups. Further, it's not just Hispanic voter growth alone.

Personally if Hispanics & African Americans hadn't been voting so consistently and strongly Democratic for literally generations, I wouldn't have as much faith in it, but here we have a GOP that is completely tanking in meaningful minority outreach and looks set to get nowhere for even longer now, all while non-white population growth is exploding. One would have to be crazy to think this is just some trivial issue for Republicans.

Similarly, the Democrats assumption that they have a stranglehold over young people seems very suspect in light of the data. And I really find the triumhalism of "just wait till those rotten old people DIE" pretty morbid tbh

But what data? Clinton's reduced margins compared to Obama 2012? I mean if we go by that, it's worth noting that Trump didn't really do any better than Romney. Clinton was an absolutely awful fit for young voters, and tbh it's surprising that she did not only as well as she did, but that Trump didn't do any better despite her losses. I don't really expect Democrats to hold on to young people forever, but at the same time, Republicans won't start evening out the score again until they find genuine ways to appeal to them through policy and messaging. It's either that or just hold out until a new generation comes about that actually buys their crap.

What I'm seeing is that Republicans are continuing to drive away even the youngest voters, those who weren't old enough to vote in 2012 or chose not to. They are still completely out of touch regarding the people who will continue making up more and more of America's electorate.

As for old people dying & changing American politics, well, I certainly don't celebrate it or anything. I'm just theorizing about what the their passing means for the future of each party. It is inevitable, after all.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 02:21:12 PM »

Both parties are always at risk of oblivion. Lol this thread though. I'd have thought most dems would have pulled their heads out of the sand by now and stopped with the propecies about a glorious future without icky whites.

It's not just about minorities. It's a generational issue as much as a white vs non-white issue. Young white voters are also substantially less Republican than whites as a whole. Even if you wanted to indulge the flawed "gets more conservative/Republican as they age" argument, with Republicans only getting +8% or less of young whites for at least a decade now, save for +3 more pts in 2014, doubling the GOP's share of these white voters when they grow up and supplant the older generations still only gets it about a 14% or so margin among them. That is far less than what they would need going into the future.

Assuming minority outreach fails to improve their margins among said groups much, Republicans need to build on their current share of the white vote, and new generation(s) of white voters do not give much reason to think that will happen in a useful time frame.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies