Will Minnesota vote for a DFL governor this year
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:32:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Will Minnesota vote for a DFL governor this year
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will Minnesota vote for a DFL governor this year
Yes, it will pull a Wisconsin 2010

No, its democratic streak is here to stay!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Will Minnesota vote for a DFL governor this year  (Read 1109 times)
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 06, 2018, 04:29:26 PM »

If Wisconsin is riding the blue wave this year, does that mean Minnesota will follow suit, too? Trump over-performed in rural Minnesota and did moderately well in some TC suburbs, causing him to almost win the state in 2016. Now that republicans control both chambers of Minnesota's government, what are the chances of a republican winning the governor's seat in 2018?
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 04:30:55 PM »

Less than 3% chance. Pawlenty is incredibly overrated.
PAK Man

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 03:18:12 PM »

Everyone treats Pawlenty like he's some sort of god. He won his first term thanks to an independent candidate and just barely won his second term. I agree that he's overrated. I have the race as Leans D myself.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 06:20:14 PM »

Pawlenty won in a less polarized time.  He also won during a 20 year period of NON-DFL Governors.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 10:32:18 PM »

wait, am I missing something here?

DFL = Democratic, right?
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 10:58:23 PM »

wait, am I missing something here?

DFL = Democratic, right?

Yes. Democratic Farmer Labor Party.

Growing up, I was always really confused as to why national races only had an abbreviation for the Republicans, not the Democrats, because DFL is a good abbreviation! I think I was in high school when I finally learned it was because Minnesota's party is slightly different.

Anyway, it depends on who wins the primary. I think if Walz was the DFL candidate, he could do very well against Pawlenty. The other two make me nervous in this climate, though I will admit I don't know as much about them because I'm worrying about Wisconsin.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 11:02:58 PM »

I always thought it was funny about how the outgoing incumbent in my State House district (who might as well have been running unopposed each time) had lawn signs that said "DFL/Labor endorsed" at the top. Since that's basically saying "Democratic Farmer Labor Labor endorsed".

But anyway, I'm more worried about the primary than I am about losing the general.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 07:28:05 AM »

I always thought it was funny about how the outgoing incumbent in my State House district (who might as well have been running unopposed each time) had lawn signs that said "DFL/Labor endorsed" at the top. Since that's basically saying "Democratic Farmer Labor Labor endorsed".

But anyway, I'm more worried about the primary than I am about losing the general.

What are your concerns in regards to the primary?
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 07:35:45 AM »

Your answers make no sense given the questions.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 08:44:32 AM »

What are your concerns in regards to the primary?

I don't want Swanson to win, since she's just running her campaign out of spite that she wasn't corronated for a new AG term even though she could've easily won one. She's also the least progressive candidate, badly botched the Nolan scandal and that union busting stuff.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 09:22:37 AM »

Pawlenty has a 5% of winning, the same amount as Warren's R Challenger beating her. Hes that bad. Its a D year in a D state with a hopefully strong D candidate(please Walz please) and the R is a scandal plagued unpopular former governor. Pawlenty is like the reverse Bredesen, now that I think about it.
kyc0705

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 09:38:01 AM »

And how does "pull a Wisconsin 2010" make more sense than just saying "Will vote for a Republican"?
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 11:51:13 AM »

And how does "pull a Wisconsin 2010" make more sense than just saying "Will vote for a Republican"?

I wasn't trying to make sense. I was merely trying to be amusing or add a little humor, but I guess I failed! Tongue
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2018, 12:07:52 PM »

I wasn't trying to make sense. I was merely trying to be amusing or add a little humor, but I guess I failed! Tongue

The answers make no sense though, as "pull a Wusconsin 2010" is after "yes"
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2018, 01:28:18 PM »

The answers make no sense though, as "pull a Wusconsin 2010" is after "yes"

Right. Well, I've locked the polls since I am unable to edit the answers.
pops
katman46

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: 4.00

P P P
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2018, 10:01:33 PM »

Pawlenty has probably a 1-2% chance of winning. Here's why.

I had the pleasure of being elected as a delegate to the state Republican convention this year. I personally voted for Mary Giuliani-Stephens on the first ballot, but had to leave after the first ballot because I was graduating that day (telling that to my fellow delegates nearby, who on average were about 45-50, gave them a good chuckle). I thought that all the candidates there for Governor were great, however, and so did all the other delegates (besides a fellow who kept shouting during the votes and sat during Johnson's acclimation vote). It's important to remember who delegates are. We're the people who do the door-knocking, we're the donors, and we're the activists. If you close followers of this race recall, Tim Pawlenty refused to show up to the state convention because he didn't think he had enough time to shore up support from delegates. I can tell you firsthand that that's not what his problem was. At the convention for my congressional district, Tim Pawlenty walked in to a chorus of booing. After giving his speech, he had planned to stay for a short while, but actually got booed out of the convention. Delegates hate him. You can't win a statewide race without people campaigning for you (granted, he doesn't really need to worry about the money side of the delegation).

I personally am voting for Johnson, and I don't think the types of people who generally turn out for a midterm primary are going to be favorable of Pawlenty. The best chance Republicans have of winning this race is if it's Johnson vs. Swanson, in which case Johnson has probably a 25-30% chance of winning. Walz will win the general no matter what if he's nominated.
cwt

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2018, 10:28:31 PM »

In my state, we had a candidate who once ran as "Prefers GOP Party."

Grand Old Party Party.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2018, 10:46:19 PM »

In my state, we had a candidate who once ran as "Prefers GOP Party."

Grand Old Party Party.

Ol Dino ran under the Grand Old Party Party again just yesterday. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies