How does the VA GOP move going forward?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:27:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  How does the VA GOP move going forward?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How does the VA GOP move going forward?  (Read 557 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 08, 2018, 01:37:35 PM »

In 2009, the VA GOP came back after depressing losses in 2005, 2006 and 2008.

2005: Democrat Tim Kaine def. Jerry Kilgore (VA-GOV)
2006: Democrat Jim Webb def. Sen. George Allen (VA-SEN)
2008: Democrat Mark Warner def. former Republican Gov. Jim Gilmore, Democrat Barack Obama's ground game strategy and demographic change gives him VA's 13 electoral votes for first time since 1964 for a Democrat

2009: Republican Bob McDonnell def. Creigh Deeds (VA-GOV)
2012: Webb retires, Allen tries a comeback, Democrat Tim Kaine def. former Sen. George Allen (VA-SEN), President Barack Obama def. Mitt Romney and wins VA's 13 electoral votes
2013: Democrat Terry McAuliffe def. Ken Cuccinelli after VA GOP intraparty feud
2014: Sen. Mark Warner def. Ed Gillespie in a tough midterm reelection
2016: Democrat Hillary Clinton and home son running mate Tim Kaine wins VA's 13 electoral votes
2017: Democrat Ralph Northam def. Ed Gillespie (VA-GOV)
2018: Democrats expected to gain House seats in VA

How does the VA GOP move forward?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 03:19:56 PM »

As Democratic power grows in Virginia and they swallow up more and more of the voters that Republicans need to stay even remotely competitive, it's pushing the VAGOP more towards the Corey Stewart nationalist-prone voters, and that is just going to further compound their problem. They are kind of in a tailspin dive that is playing out over numerous election cycles. It is kind of interesting for me though - I finally get to watch a once-dominant state party implode in real time, to the point where they can barely keep the lights on in their offices Curly

I don't see a way forward yet. They are probably just going to keep losing for a while yet before the GOP as a whole rights its ship.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 03:27:08 PM »

VA GOP will be gerrymandered into irrelevancy in the next redistricting cycle after which the democratic majorities will pass automatic voter registration, same day voter registration, mandatory early voting, and other voting rights bills to maintain their grip.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 03:27:38 PM »

It will probably end up a lot like Oregon. Margins often close and races competitive state wide but they can never quite win.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 03:42:41 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2018, 03:48:52 PM by mathstatman »

It will probably end up a lot like Oregon. Margins often close and races competitive state wide but they can never quite win.
I never would have though VA was anything like OR; their trends in Presidential elections from 1952 through 2004 were nearly opposite. However, since then the Dems have surged in both states. I suspect you are correct, at least in the short term.

I see the one notable GOP victory came in 2009-- Obama's first year. If a Dem wins in 2020, the GOP may have a chance in 2021-- then there may be a bit of a drought.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 03:46:03 PM »

It is kind of interesting for me though - I finally get to watch a once-dominant state party implode in real time, to the point where they can barely keep the lights on in their offices

Did you pay attention to Arkansas over the last 10 years?
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 03:56:04 PM »

I never would have though VA was anything like OR; their trends in Presidential elections from 1952 through 2004 were nearly opposite. However, since then the Dems have surged in both states. I suspect you are correct, at least in the short term.

I see the one notable GOP victory came in 2009-- Obama's first year. If a Dem wins in 2020, the GOP may have a chance in 2021-- then there may be a bit of a drought.
That was part of the VA cycle, electing a governor from the opposite party every time a new president took office. 2001 elected a D, while 1997 elected an R, and so on and so on. 2009 is the last time this occurred, as 2013 brought a Dem into office, destroying the trend.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 04:02:50 PM »

In the short term, just dig in and fight for the incumbents they still have (except Comstock, triage her.) Fight to hold on to the razor-thin state legislature majorities. Make it harder for people like Stewart to win statewide primaries in the future (if that can even be done.)
In the long term, hope that Trump gets defeated in 2020 so that they can at least be competitive running someone like Comstock in the 2021 governor race. I don't think the VAGOP can survive another term of Trump.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 04:08:05 PM »

It is kind of interesting for me though - I finally get to watch a once-dominant state party implode in real time, to the point where they can barely keep the lights on in their offices

Did you pay attention to Arkansas over the last 10 years?

I wish, but nope. I didn't really start paying attention to the finer details of politics until mid 2015. Before that I was kind of just focused on issues and not really horse race stuff. But yes, that was an even bigger and faster implosion, but not totally unexpected either given that southern Democrats were clearly on borrowed time, and for decade(s) really.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 04:15:21 PM »

They lose the State Senate in 2019 and get gerrymandered into oblivion in 2020. That’s the most likely scenario.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 04:57:20 PM »

They lose the State Senate in 2019 and get gerrymandered into oblivion in 2020. That’s the most likely scenario.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 07:07:25 PM »

If the non-NoVA, non-urban parts of the state secede and form East West Virginia.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 10:50:53 AM »

If the non-NoVA, non-urban parts of the state secede and form East West Virginia.

Then they'd lose all their prison jobs
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies