Bruce Rauner in 2018
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:32:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Bruce Rauner in 2018
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Will Rauner lose in 2018 if he runs for a second term?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 76

Author Topic: Bruce Rauner in 2018  (Read 3583 times)
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 21, 2016, 05:33:19 PM »

Gov. Rauner's approval rating is taking a nosedive. Do you think he will lose in 2018?
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 05:34:40 PM »

Yes. In fact, I am not even sure if I will endorse him again.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 05:43:17 PM »

Right now my list looks like this:
Cheri Bustos(D)>Daniel Hynes(D)>Napoleon Harris(D)>Chad Grimm(L). I don't know much about Andy Manar and Kwame Raoul, and I would probably support Michelle Obama. Lisa Madigan I doubt I would support. I am pretty sure I might support Rauner, unless a good Democrat somehow wins the primary, assuming no good Libertarian/Independent runs.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 05:59:32 PM »

I may be a little biased because I really hope he loses, the bigger the margin the better. I have a strong aversion to moderate politicians in general, as while I'm ok with centrist voters, for the politicians it seems like a cover for being corrupt and sneaking their party's legislation through the backdoor, watered down and praised as a miracle of bipartisanship. Since I dislike the GOP as an institution (I started paying attention to politics in the aftermath of 2010) and I dislike moderate politicians, a moderate GOP pol is going to be a mega-HP.

In any case he's mostly doomed, especially if the midterm is neutral or a dem wave. Even in the unlikely event of a GOP wave, I expect that will only mean that it will be a tight race with the dem in the lead, unless the Dems are morons and nominate someone really bad.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 06:18:44 PM »

I may be a little biased because I really hope he loses, the bigger the margin the better. I have a strong aversion to moderate politicians in general, as while I'm ok with centrist voters, for the politicians it seems like a cover for being corrupt and sneaking their party's legislation through the backdoor, watered down and praised as a miracle of bipartisanship. Since I dislike the GOP as an institution (I started paying attention to politics in the aftermath of 2010) and I dislike moderate politicians, a moderate GOP pol is going to be a mega-HP.

In any case he's mostly doomed, especially if the midterm is neutral or a dem wave. Even in the unlikely event of a GOP wave, I expect that will only mean that it will be a tight race with the dem in the lead, unless the Dems are morons and nominate someone really bad.

Maybe in Illinois?
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 07:16:09 PM »

Re: Why I may not endorse Rauner: While I am still glad that he has given the state a huge wake up call to its budgetary and economic problems crated under Quinn and Blagovich, it is clear that Madigan needs someone of his own party label in the gov. Office to be prepared to do anything serious. While I would never trust a partisan dem in the gov. Office, a more moderate dem like Durbin or Harris may be exactly what the state needs.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 09:13:09 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2016, 09:23:39 PM by Green Line »

Re: Why I may not endorse Rauner: While I am still glad that he has given the state a huge wake up call to its budgetary and economic problems crated under Quinn and Blagovich, it is clear that Madigan needs someone of his own party label in the gov. Office to be prepared to do anything serious. While I would never trust a partisan dem in the gov. Office, a more moderate dem like Durbin or Harris may be exactly what the state needs.

So you admit Madigan is a terrible hack who refuses to work with republicans but you'd rather just see him get his preferred guy in than actually have him compromise?  Sad.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 09:31:41 PM »

So you admit Madigan is a terrible hack who refuses to work with republicans but you'd rather just see him get his preferred guy in than actually have him compromise?  Sad.

Considering Madigan's preferred guy is a warren-style leftist - no.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 09:38:13 PM »

I'm sure Gov. Rauner is devastated at this news.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 01:28:23 AM »

Rauner will win, atlas is never right.

In all seriousness, he is underestimated as a candidate and out of staters don't understand the pathological hatred of Michael Madigan by the majority of Illinois and the Republican war chest that will remind them. Tossup.

publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 01:52:18 AM »

In all seriousness, he is underestimated as a candidate and out of staters don't understand the pathological hatred of Michael Madigan by the majority of Illinois and the Republican war chest that will remind them. Tossup.

I'd be willing to bet most people in Illinois don't know who Michael Madigan is, tbh. Atlas mistake #1 is to all voters have as deep a knowledge into their state's inner workings as you do.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 03:50:57 AM »

Tossup for now. He's no Mark Kirk, that's for sure.

+1
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 04:02:36 AM »

I'd be willing to bet most people in Illinois don't know who Michael Madigan is, tbh. Atlas mistake #1 is to all voters have as deep a knowledge into their state's inner workings as you do.

There was some poll posted here a while back that asked IL residents who they blamed most for the state's problems - Madigan or Rauner - and Downstate, Collar Counties, and Suburban Cook County all said Madigan by big margins. The city of Chicago blamed Rauner, but I believe the margin was a rather underwhelming 52-35.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 06:23:28 AM »

If Dems beat Rauner, their first order of business should be to move governor's elections back to Presidential years.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2016, 08:04:22 AM »

There was some poll posted here a while back that asked IL residents who they blamed most for the state's problems - Madigan or Rauner - and Downstate, Collar Counties, and Suburban Cook County all said Madigan by big margins. The city of Chicago blamed Rauner, but I believe the margin was a rather underwhelming 52-35.

To add to Dwarven Dragon, this last cycle the entire Pub message for legislative seats was about Speaker Madigan. Pubs won a net of 2 Senate seats and 4 House seats on that message. Dems were close to losing a few additional seats in the Chicago 'burbs even though Clinton was racking up big margins. Even some House Dems are now questioning the direction under the Speaker.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2016, 10:46:01 AM »

My feeling is that he'll lose, but it's not guaranteed.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2016, 11:06:13 AM »

In a midterm with a Republican President he'll need a lot of luck.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2016, 12:22:44 PM »

Bruce Rauner has a net -20 approval rating, is running as an R in Illinois, and will very likely face higher than normal ethnic minority and youth turnout unless our Fuhrer suddenly decides that he was just kidding about appointing anti-choice justices and wrecking the environment.

He is not favored. He's not even in neutral territory, even if the Speaker of the Illinois House is also unfavorably viewed.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2016, 12:29:06 PM »

Okay yeah, Rauner is vulnerable but who the hell would run against him? If Durbin sticks to his word then the odds of him reelected go up. The only person I could see making this race competitive is Michelle Obama and I highly doubt she will run. This race is definitely winnable for Rauner.

Michelle Obama is the only person who could make the race "competitive"? I mean, it's one thing to say Rauner is favored, but saying that he'll most likely win in a landslide that Democrats will ignore is pretty silly.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2016, 01:05:31 PM »

I don't know, they're both PRO ABORTION REPUBLICANS!!!!! Smiley
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2016, 07:24:31 PM »

As if abortion is the only issue worth caring about.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2016, 11:18:10 PM »
« Edited: November 22, 2016, 11:39:53 PM by Da-Jon »

If Dems can get a candidate to run, since this is a Trump midterm his chances of reelection are nill.

Cheri Bustos for GOV
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2016, 01:27:09 PM »

As if abortion is the only issue worth caring about.

It does seem to be for A LOT of people.

Anyway, Rauner is easily the most vulnerable Governor of 2018. He could win if Democrats recruit a dud, but unless he can turn his approval ratings around, he's going to have a hard time winning.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2016, 12:16:06 PM »

What will he ever do?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2016, 01:46:29 PM »

If Dems can recruit Cheri Bustos to run, Rauner is done, but even in a Quinn rematch, Rauner is in an uphill battle.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies