Pope Francis extends Catholic priests' power to forgive abortion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:11:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Pope Francis extends Catholic priests' power to forgive abortion
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pope Francis extends Catholic priests' power to forgive abortion  (Read 1870 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 21, 2016, 06:39:55 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
CNN
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 07:25:45 PM »

Freedom Extension.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 07:29:24 PM »

Agreed.  Abortion is a grievous evil, but there is no sin that can't be forgiven by the atoning blood of Christ.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 07:51:42 PM »

Non-story
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 08:05:08 PM »

I'm pretty sure it's a story if you're a woman who's had an abortion and has still been trying to get up the courage to go to confession as the Year of Mercy has run out.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 08:16:06 PM »

As if the Pope has the authority to say that. The only one with the power to forgive, and to dictate how you get forgiveness is God. Not some fancy dressed human.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 09:01:07 PM »

As if the Pope has the authority to say that. The only one with the power to forgive, and to dictate how you get forgiveness is God. Not some fancy dressed human.
To be fair, Catholics do recognize him as the leader of their Church, so he kind of does have control over at least the theological doctrines of the church like this.

Same with the LDS Church President for Mormons like me. We have every right not to follow what he says, but he is kind of the guy in charge for theology for the entire church like that.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 09:29:40 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2016, 09:32:02 PM by realisticidealist »

I'm pretty sure it's a story if you're a woman who's had an abortion and has still been trying to get up the courage to go to confession as the Year of Mercy has run out.

There was literally zero change in the US. This was already the status quo even before the Year of Mercy. Internationally, it's a very slight administrative story in some places.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 10:08:24 PM »

How does this square with:

a) The Roman Church's theology of the sacraments, priesthood, and mortal sin? That is if abortion is a mortal sin, then would not the old rules condemn the repentant abortionist/abortion-seeker to hell? Or at least makes it more likely that they will go to hell?

b) The quasi-universalism I've been hearing from some Catholics?
Small L
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 12:25:42 AM »

a) The Roman Church's theology of the sacraments, priesthood, and mortal sin? That is if abortion is a mortal sin, then would not the old rules condemn the repentant abortionist/abortion-seeker to hell? Or at least makes it more likely that they will go to hell?

Mortal sin is only an absolute condemnation to hell if it is never repented and/or never regretted before death. Catholics don't believe it is possible to commit a sin on earth that ipso facto guarantees damnation even in the case of later repentance.

I don't feel like addressing b, since I don't agree with those Catholics.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 01:52:18 AM »
« Edited: November 22, 2016, 02:03:51 AM by realisticidealist »

Really not that much was changed. Participating in an abortion is one of eight sins which results in an automatic latae sententiae excommunication, something which is an additional penalty on top of being in a state of mortal sin. Excommunications can generally only be lifted by bishops, but bishops have the power to selectively devolve this ability to the priests below them. This devolution for abortion was the standard in the United States, but not in other parts of the world. For the Year of Mercy, Pope Francis devolved this power to all priests; all the pronouncement today did was make this devolution permanent and universal.

Not sure what you mean by part b.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 06:19:51 AM »

Really not that much was changed. Participating in an abortion is one of eight sins which results in an automatic latae sententiae excommunication, something which is an additional penalty on top of being in a state of mortal sin. Excommunications can generally only be lifted by bishops, but bishops have the power to selectively devolve this ability to the priests below them. This devolution for abortion was the standard in the United States, but not in other parts of the world. For the Year of Mercy, Pope Francis devolved this power to all priests; all the pronouncement today did was make this devolution permanent and universal.

Thanks for the explanation.

B isn't a coherent group, so much as a variety of opinions I've heard expressed by some Catholics that could be construed as universalism.  Mea culpa if that isn't an actual faction among some (very progressive) Catholics.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 11:33:58 AM »
« Edited: November 23, 2016, 11:36:15 AM by 1945>1488 »

Thanks for the explanation.

B isn't a coherent group, so much as a variety of opinions I've heard expressed by some Catholics that could be construed as universalism.  Mea culpa if that isn't an actual faction among some (very progressive) Catholics.

It's not even necessarily 'very progressive' (I've heard it among Catholics of the John Paul II-style modern-but-conservative stripe), but among more moderate or conservative Catholics it's, yeah, deliberately not conceptually elaborated enough to call a real tendency.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 01:32:44 PM »

The most quasi-universalist talk I've heard is from people like Robert Barron who hold the "reasonable hope that everyone will be saved" position, but I'm not aware of many, if any, who go further than that. Personally, I think univeralism is a plausible outcome, but one I find rather unlikely as it overrides free will (although you can make a purgatorial universalist argument that doesn't necessarily do so, although it has other problems), and it seems to go against a number of teachings from Jesus himself.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 01:36:27 PM »

The most quasi-universalist talk I've heard is from people like Robert Barron who hold the "reasonable hope that everyone will be saved" position, but I'm not aware of many, if any, who go further than that.

That's what I'm referring to (and approximately the position I hold).

There are elements within Eastern Orthodoxy, especially in Russian-language theology, that tend in the purgatorial-universalist direction, if memory serves.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2016, 08:29:44 AM »

The most quasi-universalist talk I've heard is from people like Robert Barron who hold the "reasonable hope that everyone will be saved" position, but I'm not aware of many, if any, who go further than that.

That's what I'm referring to (and approximately the position I hold).

There are elements within Eastern Orthodoxy, especially in Russian-language theology, that tend in the purgatorial-universalist direction, if memory serves.

I recently read a paper by the Orthodox theologian David Bentley Hart which putt the case against Hell in very strong terms (available here). I personally found it very convincing, but Hart is one of those people who's worth reading even when you disagree with.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2016, 03:52:12 PM »

Strange that the pope can do so since no man has ever been given the power to forgive in God's name.

One would need to show that there is a God first and no pope or anyone else has ever done so.

That is the problem with faith based imaginary Gods.

Regards
DL
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2016, 04:38:25 PM »

Strange that the pope can do so since no man has ever been given the power to forgive in God's name.

John 20:22-23
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2016, 04:34:53 PM »

Do you believe in talking serpents and donkeys as well as holy spooks?

Is there a limit to the fantasy you can be made to swallow?

Regards
DL
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2016, 02:57:59 PM »

Regards
DL

Can you please stop insulting people with every post? It makes discussion here depressing when you keep turning it into an insult competition that only you participate in.

Regards
Please stop signing your name, I already know its you posting.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2016, 03:10:30 PM »

Regards
DL

Can you please stop insulting people with every post? It makes discussion here depressing when you keep turning it into an insult competition that only you participate in.

Regards
Please stop signing your name, I already know its you posting.

What you call insult, I call a loving response to unintelligible propositions.

Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. -- Thomas Jefferson

Proverbs 3:12 For whom the Lord loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.

If you do not question and try to correct unintelligible propositions, then you are not doing the loving thing or following the golden rule.

Jesus was hated for doing exactly what I do and I do not expect anything less from those who have given up logic and reason for blind and rather stupid blind faith.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2016, 04:13:57 PM »

Brah,

Ridicule and loving correction are definitely not the same thing. Telling someone they believe in fantasies is a different thing than demonstrating to them that they believe in fantasies...

Braaahhhhh
If you do not question and try to correct unintelligible propositions, then you are not doing the loving thing or following the golden rule.
Seņor, before you go around pointing out specks of sawdust, you might wanna take a look at the GIANT PLANK protruding straight out of your EYEBALLS.

Regards,
SL

Oh ye of little understanding.

Show me how you would convince a person who believes in a talking serpent and donkey and adores a genocidal son murdering God that he is believing in fantasies and adoring a God who is immoral and not worthy of respect.

Regards
DL
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies