Favorite Christopher Nolan Films
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:34:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Favorite Christopher Nolan Films
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Well
Following (1998)

Memento (2000)

Insomnia (2002)

Batman Begins (2005)

The Prestige (2006)

The Dark Knight (2008)

Inception (2010)

The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

Interstellar (2014)

Can't decide, all too good

Can't decide, all too pretentious

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Favorite Christopher Nolan Films  (Read 1299 times)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 22, 2016, 01:46:45 AM »

This was inevitable.

Tempting as Opt. 11 is, like Stanley Kubrick, his films always at least something nice visually and there are some films that actually do manage to be cool to watch all the time.

Batman Begins and Insomnia have to be the ones here, would be The Prestige...but the main characters were just straight-up unlikable and there wasn't enough Tesla. And Interstellar is ruined by the audio and the twist-ending.

Least Favorite
The Dark Knight

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 02:26:23 AM »

Easily Interstellar followed by The Prestige.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 09:43:01 AM »

Nolan is EXTREMELY overrated.

I really, really like Batman Begins and think it's massively underrated if flawed.  I like Inception a lot, too.

I haven't seen Interstellar, I've heard it's really good.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 01:13:03 PM »

I really, really like Batman Begins and think it's massively underrated if flawed.  I like Inception a lot, too.

Nolan is extremely overrated, yet you like all his good movies and haven't seen his best one?? Tongue

I voted Interstellar and All too good. Smiley
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 01:28:54 PM »

Nolan is extremely overrated, yet you like all his good movies and haven't seen his best one?? Tongue

Yeah, extremely overrated is a little strong hahahaha, he clearly has some talent.  I just have PTSD from IMDB/reddit fanboys constantly jacking off to how amazing he is and telling me that he's the next kubrick when he often has serious editing problems, and his movies are often overstuffed and pretentious/grim.

Glad to hear that someone else appreciates Batman Begins.  It's INSANE to me that some people think Dark Knight Rises is good and that Batman Begins is bad.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 02:38:52 PM »

Yeah, extremely overrated is a little strong hahahaha, he clearly has some talent.  I just have PTSD from IMDB/reddit fanboys constantly jacking off to how amazing he is and telling me that he's the next kubrick when he often has serious editing problems, and his movies are often overstuffed and pretentious/grim.

Glad to hear that someone else appreciates Batman Begins.  It's INSANE to me that some people think Dark Knight Rises is good and that Batman Begins is bad.

Solidly in the camp that both are good!

Having "cliche" views is VERY taboo on Atlas, but Interstellar might be the best non-classic movie I've ever seen, quite honestly.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 03:04:19 PM »

I really, really like Batman Begins and think it's massively underrated if flawed.  I like Inception a lot, too.

Yeah, extremely overrated is a little strong hahahaha, he clearly has some talent.  I just have PTSD from IMDB/reddit fanboys constantly jacking off to how amazing he is and telling me that he's the next kubrick when he often has serious editing problems, and his movies are often overstuffed and pretentious/grim.

Glad to hear that someone else appreciates Batman Begins.  It's INSANE to me that some people think Dark Knight Rises is good and that Batman Begins is bad.

The Dark Knight Rises is my favorite of the trilogy, mostly because Bane is easily (for my money) the most intimidating villain in the series, the only one who could really defeat Batman and pose a real existential threat, and I believe a superhero film tends to only be as good as its villain. The Joker in TDK was well acted and layered, but I never felt like he was a real threat. He was too small-time, more a pest than a true villain. I'm also not a fan of TDK's break-neck pacing and vignette-like feel.

I do like Batman Begins, but it really is the oddball of the series. Its tone and aesthetic stand apart from the other two; I daresay it's a bit less "real" and a bit more classically comic-campy, though still less so than your standard superhero film. It feels artificial in a way the others don't (probably the most artificial of any of Nolan's films), and as such I'm not as drawn into it in the same way as the other two.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 03:33:38 PM »

Only saw "Inception" when I was like fifteen with my dad, and I thought it was obnoxiously and unnecessarily complex.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 03:38:34 PM »

Wow, I just noticed that I dislike all of his films. These are films I've always found obnoxiously pretentious and overrated, but I didn't know they were all directed by Christopher Nolan until now.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 08:13:19 PM »

1. The Dark Knight
2. Memento

Honorable Mention: The Prestige
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 08:16:05 PM »

Memento
Dark KNight

Two of my FAV movies of all time, maybe even 1 and 2.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 08:38:50 PM »

The Dark Knight is the best film Nolan has ever made. Nothing even comes close, who to give the second vote was more challenging. Decided on The Dark Kinght Rises over Inception because it was easier to follow.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 10:59:31 AM »

The Dark Knight is the best film Nolan has ever made. Nothing even comes close, who to give the second vote was more challenging. Decided on The Dark Kinght Rises over Inception because it was easier to follow.

Just goes to show, we are all valuing very different things in these movies when we make lists like these.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 02:10:11 PM »

I'm not sure I see much of a difference between Begins and Rises, third-act notwithstanding.

Both had villains that angled around one theme regarding extremism for a noble cause, both used mostly browns for colors, both had Bruce become Batman....really Rises is the true sequel, for good or bad.

Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 04:20:42 PM »

Just goes to show, we are all valuing very different things in these movies when we make lists like these.

It's not a bad thing to want to not wonder what's going on when you leave the theatre. Now, Inception is a great movie, but the plot is confusing, took me a few tries to gain an understanding of what transpired.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2016, 05:07:09 PM »

It's not a bad thing to want to not wonder what's going on when you leave the theatre. Now, Inception is a great movie, but the plot is confusing, took me a few tries to gain an understanding of what transpired.

I never said it was bad, but I LOVE that feeling while at a good movie.  The reason I loved Interstellar and Arrival so much is that I spent the whole time just wondering what the big twist/reveal would be; both were rewarding.  I'll grant you Inception has more plotholes and seemingly unnecessary complexities, but I found it fun to try to keep up.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2016, 10:05:22 PM »

I never said it was bad, but I LOVE that feeling while at a good movie.  The reason I loved Interstellar and Arrival so much is that I spent the whole time just wondering what the big twist/reveal would be; both were rewarding.  I'll grant you Inception has more plotholes and seemingly unnecessary complexities, but I found it fun to try to keep up.

I can agree with that.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2016, 12:06:32 AM »

What's more pretentious: Christopher Nolan films, or the people who go out of their way to complain about how pretentious those films are?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2016, 12:43:40 AM »

Batman Begins, I don't understand the flak it gets.
(TDK totally ruined the unique cityscape and feel of Gotham, and was much less about Batman/Wayne than it should have been)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2016, 08:43:28 AM »

Haven't seen Following or Insomnia.

Inception and Interstellar are awful. They're dumb movies designed to make semi-dumb people feel smart. As such, they're terribly insulting to the viewer.

Batman Begins and The Prestige are fine but nothing special. The Dark Knight Rises a little worse than that.

The Dark Knight and Memento I really like so they sort of win by default. 
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2016, 11:15:16 AM »

Haven't seen Following or Insomnia.

Inception and Interstellar are awful. They're dumb movies designed to make semi-dumb people feel smart. As such, they're terribly insulting to the viewer.

Batman Begins and The Prestige are fine but nothing special. The Dark Knight Rises a little worse than that.

The Dark Knight and Memento I really like so they sort of win by default. 

Oh, for 's sake, LOL.  Get over yourself.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2016, 03:25:33 PM »

The first five minutes of The Dark Knight Rises are the greatest five minutes in cinematic history.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2016, 03:43:53 PM »

Inception
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2016, 11:08:58 PM »

Inception, easily... It was confusing, but Leonardo DiCaprio performed amazingly well. He deserved the best actor Oscar for it.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2016, 12:36:15 PM »

Easily Interstellar, which is my favorite movie in general. The Dark Knight was good, but in a different way. I don't think there will ever be a better set of batman films, at least in my eyes.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies