The Dems need an autopsy -- they are now a completely regional party.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:59:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The Dems need an autopsy -- they are now a completely regional party.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: The Dems need an autopsy -- they are now a completely regional party.  (Read 6127 times)
MAGA
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 22, 2016, 11:31:03 AM »
« edited: November 22, 2016, 11:35:37 AM by MAGA »

What will it take to rouse them from their stupor?

They only have some strength along the Left Coast and the NE.

45% of their House of Rep numbers come from 6 states. CA, OR, WA, NY, MA & IL

Any claim to a mythical popular vote is rooted in one state,... CA

They are facing a bitter fight over who leads the party.

The average age of the current Congressional Dem leadership is 72, the Repubs is 49

Not very broad appeal. Dems are in no position to say that they represent the people as a whole.

And in 2018 they are facing a near death experience.

They should immediately check in to political rehab but I think they are still in their disease, denial stage.

What will it take to rouse them from their stupor?
Fusionmunster

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 11:37:54 AM »

Indeed.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 11:41:59 AM »

Blah, blah, blah. Sounds like you are trying to convince yourself of something more than anything else.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 11:42:48 AM »

They only have some strength along the Left Coast and the NE.

Not really true; I live in a very, very safe Democratic district in Ohio, for instance, which almost certainly, looking at county numbers, voted more heavily for Clinton than Obama.

Sure, but then where is the other 55% from?

This is true, but any claim that Trump has to a mythical electoral vote is rooted in just one state...TX. These things go both ways.

They are facing a bitter fight over who leads the party.

I think it's a rather foregone conclusion -- the real fight is coming in around a decade or so, when the progressive Sandernista wing actually has the demographic strength to fight for party control. They aren't quite there yet; this is a symbolic revolt by Democrats from places where the leadership is not well-liked to demonstrate to their constituents their independence from leadership.

The average age of the current Congressional Dem leadership is 72, the Repubs is 49

This is true.

Not very broad appeal. Dems are in no position to say that they represent the people as a whole.

Has any party really been in a position to represent the people as a whole since, like, the 89th Congress? That was the last time one party held the Presidency and veto-proof Senate and House majorities.

And in 2018 they are facing a near death experience.

Eh, if Republicans survived the 1930s, when they fell under 30 Senate seats, Democrats will survive falling to the low 40s in 2018. The two political parties in America will not actually fall until (and this does not guarantee anything, it is simply a prerequisite) there is a conscious effort, like there was in New Zealand in 1993, to reform the electoral system.

Anyway, considering the Republican responses to both 2008 (unified government inevitably becomes unpopular, and blind opposition positions you best to take advantage of it) and 2012 (the autopsy proposed a number of measures to reform the party; the voters decisively ignored them and then the party won the presidency anyway), I would have to say Democrats need no autopsy; they simply need to wait for Republicans to mess up sufficiently and then they will return to power by the strength of the system itself.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 11:58:28 AM »

Just saying, after the 2008 Elections, the GOP was deemed as a regional party also..

People are overthinking results.
MAGA
Rookie
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 12:05:41 PM »

Blah, blah, blah. Sounds like you are trying to convince yourself of something more than anything else.

I'm still drunk on your tears
MAGA
Rookie
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 12:08:02 PM »

Just saying, after the 2008 Elections, the GOP was deemed as a regional party also..

Nope, the Dems are trending away from winning the EC. Their ratio of number of votes to EC votes gets worse and worse...Repubs get better and better.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 12:12:06 PM »

Nope, the Dems are trending away from winning the EC. Their ratio of number of votes to EC votes gets worse and worse...Repubs get better and better.

Nope,

I suspect in 2020 Democrats should be able to win MI, PA, and WI back. They would be highly competitive in Arizona, and I would actually expect them to win Georgia in 2020 if there is any investment. Virtually there was no investment in Georgia this cycle, and Clinton did relatively well.

In fact, if Trump can not keep his promises, I suspect Ohio and Iowa will be contestable.

And in 2020, I doubt Missouri and Indiana will be going to Trump by 20 points. Sure, it would be no additional electoral votes, but it helps down the ballot.

MAGA
Rookie
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 12:15:53 PM »

Nope,

I suspect in 2020 Democrats should be able to win MI, PA, and WI back. They would be highly competitive in Arizona, and I would actually expect them to win Georgia in 2020 if there is any investment. Virtually there was no investment in Georgia this cycle, and Clinton did relatively well.

In fact, if Trump can not keep his promises, I suspect Ohio and Iowa will be contestable.

And in 2020, I doubt Missouri and Indiana will be going to Trump by 20 points. Sure, it would be no additional electoral votes, but it helps down the ballot.

Yeahhhh.. but you thought Clinton would win sooooo....you go that goin against ya
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 12:19:11 PM »
« Edited: November 22, 2016, 12:23:22 PM by AKCreative »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

How can you make that argument when they won 6 of the last 7 popular votes?

Not really, it's looking great for picking up a large number of gov seats, which is going to be the real prize in 2018.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 12:21:19 PM »

Nope,

Yeahhhh.. but you thought Clinton would win sooooo....you go that goin against ya

Dude, ask TN Volunteer, ask others.. in some private conversations I was completing freaking out and going nuts. The rural vote I was seeing was going too strong for Trump...

And No, I am not a hack. I am probably the least hackish liberal here.
MAGA
Rookie
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 12:41:30 PM »

Not really, it's looking great for picking up a large number of gov seats, which is going to be the real prize in 2018.

You have 10 Senate seats up in now red states. Manchin will switch any day now.

What seats are you referring to?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 12:44:57 PM »

I'm still drunk on your tears
I'm not crying, but laughing at the prospect of the a huge recession that will impact the states that bought into Trump's garbage.

He joined the Senate Democratic leadership, genius. With that said, midterms are horrible for the President's party, so don't expect many or any gains for Republicans.
MAGA
Rookie
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 12:47:01 PM »

You're making no sense
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2016, 12:48:34 PM »

I dropped knowledge on you and you can't refute it.
MAGA
Rookie
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2016, 01:01:27 PM »

You might have dropped you sh**t... I see nothing worth responding to.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2016, 02:37:30 PM »

Manchin's on the Senate Dem's team. Plus switching parties won't help Manchin if Trump fails to save coal. Besides, Jim Justice (D) won the gubernatorial race this year.

39 Governor seats are up and the large majority are Republican. If Trump isn't popular, it could get ugly. Also the Dems have a chance to recover the House.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2016, 03:05:11 PM »

28% of the house of representatives as a whole (and a higher percentage of the american population) comes from those states. sorry, bud
MAGA
Rookie
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2016, 03:13:12 PM »

28% of the house of representatives as a whole (and a higher percentage of the american population) comes from those states. sorry, bud

Sorry, you are incorrect. Here, let me help you.

CA 39 Dems, IL 10 Dems, MA 9 Dems, NY 18 Dems, OR 4 Dems, WA 6 Dems = 86 Dem Reps.

86 is 45% of 194, which is the number of House seats the Dems will have in the next Congress. You are a failing, degenerate, regional party.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2016, 03:19:24 PM »

This is what was said about the GOP in 2008 after Obama won.....and what happened in 2010?

Let's not overreact. American politics is very cyclical and quite predictable in terms of party swings.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2016, 03:30:18 PM »

CA 39 Dems, IL 10 Dems, MA 9 Dems, NY 18 Dems, OR 4 Dems, WA 6 Dems = 86 Dem Reps.

86 is 45% of 194, which is the number of House seats the Dems will have in the next Congress. You are a failing, degenerate, regional party.
total number of representatives from those states: 122
total number of representatives: 435
122 / 435 = 28%

maybe learn to read before spouting off next time ㄟ(ツ)ㄏ
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2016, 04:12:07 PM »

oh and this

is also a dumb argument. you can't just cut out 12% of the national population to prove your point. otherwise i could say, "any republican claim to an electoral vote victory is rooted in one demographic,… less-educated white men." (~17%)
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2016, 04:22:37 PM »

total number of representatives from those states: 122
total number of representatives: 435
122 / 435 = 28%

maybe learn to read before spouting off next time ㄟ(ツ)ㄏ

Boy, you are dumb, dumber than the dumbest jackass. I'll give you one more chance.

You will have 194 Dem Representatives in the House next Congress. 86 of them are from just 6 states. 45% of your membership in the House is from just 6 states.
i know that, sweetie. i'm pointing out that it's irrelevant.
MAGA
Rookie
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2016, 04:35:31 PM »

Nah Lez, we both know you fail
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2016, 11:54:01 PM »

The future I see for the Democratic Party

Northeast Coast