Arkansas State House: Another Democrat Switches to GOP
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:58:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Arkansas State House: Another Democrat Switches to GOP
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Arkansas State House: Another Democrat Switches to GOP  (Read 2618 times)
mds32
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 22, 2016, 12:38:53 PM »

Republicans now have a 75-25 Majority in the State House of Representatives after two Democrats have switched to the GOP since election day.

http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2016/nov/22/arkansas-representative-switches-parties-giving-go/

Hard to see how the Democrats can recover in this state now for the foreseeable future. The stragglers are already switching to the GOP now.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 01:07:26 PM »

No big surprises hele: Hillman was right-of-center type Democrat, and Wardlow - probably the most conservative Democrat in Arkansas legislature and among five most conservative Democratic legislators in the nation (in fact - he was more conservative then some Republican legislators in Arkansas). Taking into consideration that Republicans will, most likely, be in full control of the state for at least 20 years - rather natural decision. Some years ago similar situation existed in Mississippi and Louisiana, with literally dozens Democratic state legislators switching. With fewer blacks then in these two states Arkansas Democratic party is still not "a black party", but - becoming so....
vileplume
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 04:30:45 PM »

'Rats from a sinking ship' is the phrase that springs to mind.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 08:34:29 PM »

Seems like the Southern Democratic party is literally become a "blacks only" party as Southern whites flee in droves to the GOP.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 09:50:53 PM »

Seems like the Southern Democratic party is literally become a "blacks only" party as Southern whites flee in droves to the GOP.

John Barrow was the last White Southern Dem at the federal level in Congress. He would have went in 2012 rather than 2014 had my district not ran the bumbling idiot Lee Anderson in 2012.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 10:47:22 PM »
« Edited: November 23, 2016, 10:51:06 PM by ERM64man »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
No, Barrow wasn't. There is Mark Warner, Joe Manchin, Charlie Crist, and Bill Nelson. They are white Southern Democrats at the federal level in Congress.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 11:32:11 PM »

No, Barrow wasn't. There is Mark Warner, Joe Manchin, Charlie Crist, and Bill Nelson. They are white Southern Democrats at the federal level in Congress.

Many people doesn't consider Virginia's and Florida as "typically Southern". Georgia (with all of Deep South) - unquestionably is. And then previous statement becomes true (and possibly will be true for sometime as whites really leave Democratic party there "en masse")
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 11:52:28 PM »

'Rats from a sinking ship' is the phrase that springs to mind.

As much as i don't like rats, i am no fan of sinking ships either..
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 12:22:31 AM »

Allow me to rephrase that - Last White Southerner in the Deep South, and for most of the Upper South. Virginia has been turned to Greater DC, and Florida is no longer a Southern state south of Gainesville. (But the panhandle and Jacksonville can be considered Southern.) I consider WV to be culturally Southern compared to VA, but I can't exactly decide on how to pinpoint it.
vileplume
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 12:55:21 AM »
« Edited: November 24, 2016, 01:06:25 AM by vileplume »

Allow me to rephrase that - Last White Southerner in the Deep South, and for most of the Upper South. Virginia has been turned to Greater DC, and Florida is no longer a Southern state south of Gainesville. (But the panhandle and Jacksonville can be considered Southern.) I consider WV to be culturally Southern compared to VA, but I can't exactly decide on how to pinpoint it.

Surely the majority of Virginia is still Southern in culture it's just the huge growth and Democratic swing of the non-southern DC suburbs (which are still nowhere near the majority of the state) combined with southern blacks (who do count as Southern despite the rather odd tendency to count everyone not a Republican as not 'Southern') that has made the state lean Democratic. If the DC suburbs were hypothetically not in Virginia it would be considered by everyone an unquestionably Southern state.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2016, 01:09:44 AM »

Why does everyone forget about poor David Price Sad
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2016, 02:03:38 AM »

Jim Cooper?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2016, 03:38:20 AM »

Research Triangle is not especially southern too)))
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2016, 03:31:56 PM »
« Edited: November 24, 2016, 03:36:05 PM by ERM64man »

Is the Clearwater area (where Charlie Crist was elected) not considered Southern?
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2016, 10:51:36 PM »

Is Jim Cooper not good enough either?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2016, 11:12:24 PM »

Is Jim Cooper not good enough either?

He is a moderate. Not long ago it would be considered liberal in the South, with conservatives being people like Dan Daniel, David Satterfield and Sonny Montgomery. And , if i understand correctly, the talk was about people from DEEP South. Tennessee is, generally, a "Peripheral South"...
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2016, 01:36:11 AM »

No big surprises hele: Hillman was right-of-center type Democrat, and Wardlow - probably the most conservative Democrat in Arkansas legislature and among five most conservative Democratic legislators in the nation (in fact - he was more conservative then some Republican legislators in Arkansas). Taking into consideration that Republicans will, most likely, be in full control of the state for at least 20 years - rather natural decision. Some years ago similar situation existed in Mississippi and Louisiana, with literally dozens Democratic state legislators switching. With fewer blacks then in these two states Arkansas Democratic party is still not "a black party", but - becoming so....

Per Wikipedia, Jeff Wardlaw is very young (graduated from college in 2002). Why was someone this conservative of his generation ever in the Democratic Party to begin with?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2016, 08:17:42 AM »

Per Wikipedia, Jeff Wardlaw is very young (graduated from college in 2002). Why was someone this conservative of his generation ever in the Democratic Party to begin with?

Until about 2010 Arkansas on legislative level was very Democratic. Including many conservative Democrats (though Wardlaw was one of the most conservative even among them). And his district is Southern Arkansas is, ancestrally, very Democratic. But - strictly in Southern sense of the word. Florida Panhandle was very Democratic and very conservative (on local level - still is in some counties) until relatively recent times too..
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2016, 05:35:48 PM »

Until about 2010 Arkansas on legislative level was very Democratic. Including many conservative Democrats (though Wardlaw was one of the most conservative even among them). And his district is Southern Arkansas is, ancestrally, very Democratic. But - strictly in Southern sense of the word. Florida Panhandle was very Democratic and very conservative (on local level - still is in some counties) until relatively recent times too..

I could understand if he were some 70 year old who got started in politics when the coalitions were very different. But for someone born in the 1980s to be a conservative and a Democrat is as illogical as being a liberal and a Republican. It would be like someone in their 30s in Massachusetts running as a Republican while not actually agreeing with the party on anything and voting to the left of many Democrats (though that sounds like something a lot of people on this forum would do).
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2016, 01:08:17 AM »

I could understand if he were some 70 year old who got started in politics when the coalitions were very different. But for someone born in the 1980s to be a conservative and a Democrat is as illogical as being a liberal and a Republican. It would be like someone in their 30s in Massachusetts running as a Republican while not actually agreeing with the party on anything and voting to the left of many Democrats (though that sounds like something a lot of people on this forum would do).

In short - there are such people both in Arkansas and Massachusetts)). Why is Warwick mayor Scott Avedisian (self-proclaimed liberal Republican and not especially old himself (slightly over 50)) a Republican in very Democratic Rhode Island??? But he decided this way. And, IMHO, it's good. And it would be good if both conservative Democrats and liberal Republicans would exist in the future instead of political polarisation, which leads to "bold progressives" running somewhere in North Louisiana, and conservatives - on Manhattan or in Bay Area... And many other cases of similar idiocy...
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2016, 01:12:30 AM »

John Barrow was the last White Southern Dem at the federal level in Congress. He would have went in 2012 rather than 2014 had my district not ran the bumbling idiot Lee Anderson in 2012.

Deep Southern, not Southern. Although even then, that isn't entirely true because of Gwen Graham.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2016, 01:37:51 AM »

Deep Southern, not Southern. Although even then, that isn't entirely true because of Gwen Graham.

+1 Graham's district was unquestionably southern. But now - ... Honestly i don't see Democrats winning any of "genuine southern" non-black majority districts anytime soon. The closest who came in 2016 was Ruby's opponent in AL-02, who got about 45.5% of 2-party vote and more then 40% of all vote (to my surprise)
hopper
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2016, 06:20:27 PM »
« Edited: November 26, 2016, 06:24:20 PM by hopper »

I;m to the left on Republicans on a few things(SSM, Gun Control, Taxes, and Military Spending) but it doesn't make me any less Republican than other Republicans on here. I do view myself as a Progressive or Left Libertarian idealogy wise.

Your first point is right though why would somebody born in the 1980's switch parties? Its not like the 2 parties coalitions have changed that drastically changed since a 1980's Born graduated HS in the 1990's or 2000's. Usually when you are young you start off as an Independent and than slowly you start to drift to one of the major two parties and than permanently "affiliate" with that party unless party coalitions change like they did in the 1980's/early 1990's but Wardlaw didn't graduate HS until 1998 probably.
hopper
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2016, 06:31:23 PM »

Is the Clearwater area (where Charlie Crist was elected) not considered Southern?
A good number of Northern Transplants I'm sure live in Crist's soon to be district.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2016, 08:18:57 PM »

71 House Democrats when Obama took office and the Senate was even more Democratic. An amazing collapse of the Arkansas Democratic party.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies