SC-Gov 2018
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:14:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  SC-Gov 2018
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SC-Gov 2018  (Read 721 times)
mds32
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 22, 2016, 03:01:22 PM »

Catherine Templeton has announced she will be running.

She headed up the SC State Health Dept. If Scott doesn't run she might be a credible candidate for the primary seeing she is more establishment friendly.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/catherine-templeton-running-for-governor/article_39ee19d2-ae0a-11e6-b8d9-af47fe535dbb.html
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 03:23:29 PM »
« Edited: November 22, 2016, 03:27:41 PM by Kingpoleon »

If Scott doesn't run, the Democrats should really recruit Jim Hodges, Thomas McElveen, Boyd Brown, or Mandy Powers Norrell for this. Any of them have the potential to make this competitive by maximizing black and female turnout while winning over moderates.
mds32
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 04:14:49 PM »

If Scott doesn't run, the Democrats should really recruit Jim Hodges, Thomas McElveen, Boyd Brown, or Mandy Powers Norrell for this. Any of them have the potential to make this competitive by maximizing black and female turnout while winning over moderates.

Possibly but I have this at Lean R - Likely R regardless of who the candidate will be. Haley was actually a weak candidate by SC GOP standards and she managed to do better in 2014 despite picking fights with the establishment on a regular basis.
JMT

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 11:20:44 AM »

Well, Haley being picked as UN Ambassador changes this race a bit. Assuming she's confirmed by the Senate (which I'm confident will happen), she will resign as governor, allowing Lt. Gov Henry McMaster to become governor. I assume he would be interested in running for a full term, he previously ran for governor and has been speculated to do so again in 2018. Because he'll be the incumbent, he's likely the front runner. Unless Tim Scott runs, that would be a competitive race, but I wonder if Scott would run against an incumbent governor. Scott could stay in the senate for now and run for governor later on, he's a young guy with a promising career.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 01:32:53 PM »

Well, Haley being picked as UN Ambassador changes this race a bit. Assuming she's confirmed by the Senate (which I'm confident will happen), she will resign as governor, allowing Lt. Gov Henry McMaster to become governor. I assume he would be interested in running for a full term, he previously ran for governor and has been speculated to do so again in 2018. Because he'll be the incumbent, he's likely the front runner. Unless Tim Scott runs, that would be a competitive race, but I wonder if Scott would run against an incumbent governor. Scott could stay in the senate for now and run for governor later on, he's a young guy with a promising career.
McMaster is a Trumpeter through and through. He endorsed Trump in the primaries, alongside Andre Bauer.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 02:29:28 PM »

If McMaster gets the nomination, does he win?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 02:33:37 PM »

Why should Tim Scott run? He has a safe job at capitol hill, elected for six years without term-limits. Makes not that much sense to switch the governor's mansion unless you're near retiring age. He's also relatively new to the senate.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 09:28:14 PM »

Would Mick Mulvaney run?
JoshPA
Rookie
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 04:17:10 PM »

Why should Tim Scott run? He has a safe job at capitol hill, elected for six years without term-limits. Makes not that much sense to switch the governor's mansion unless you're near retiring age. He's also relatively new to the senate.
Trump for term limit and it look like he keeping his promise so it look like a option if he dont go on for president in 2024.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 04:26:15 PM »

I'm going to make a not-so-bold prediction and say that this is McMaster's race to lose, both in the primary and the general. It really depends on how he does as Governor, but the fact that Trump effectively made him Governor says something about who he'll prefer behind (or not behind) the scenes, and I think that SC is just too tough of a nut for Democrats to crack at this point.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies