For All College Students on Atlas
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:48:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  For All College Students on Atlas
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: For All College Students on Atlas  (Read 351 times)
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 21, 2016, 04:52:16 PM »

If any of you are in a lecture and have a representative of Collegeworks or Vemma come around and pass out a sign up sheet for an internship, DO NOT TAKE IT. During my freshmen year, I went to an info session for the College Works group. It's basically a huge scam that has you work painting houses and has the company take an 85% cut of your entire profit and they don't reimburse you for expenses like tools and equipment. You set up your own group of house painters (usually high schoolers). It's a way for the company to have cheap labor that can be paid less than minimum wage. To break even, you have to work 60 hours a week and go door to door pestering people to have their houses painted. This is on top of three months of training and hours of lectures.

Avoid this pyramid scheme at all costs.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 06:07:58 PM »

I randomly got called by them a few times in my senior year. I said I wasn't interested and they left me alone. I may have filled out something before that, but I don't remember. If I did, it had certainly been a couple of years at that point.

Scams like this are all over the place, targeting people too inexperienced to know any better. Always be cautious of what people are trying to sell you on.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 08:07:06 PM »

Yeah, I actually went to one of their meetings once. I wasn't really interested since I had something else going on in the summer, but I hope I eventually would have figured out that it's a scam anyway.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 10:02:35 PM »

They have these down in Florida but they usually involve door to door knife selling.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 12:56:56 AM »

They have these down in Florida but they usually involve door to door knife selling.

Ahh...good old Vector Marketing, they kept harassing me my Senior year of HS and Freshman year of college.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 01:15:55 AM »

Ahh...good old Vector Marketing, they kept harassing me my Senior year of HS and Freshman year of college.
Two friends of mine from High School were working there last I heard from them (over two years ago). I was offered a job interview and probably would've ended up working there for as long as my ignorance would allow had AFP not hired me.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 06:00:47 AM »

Back when I was in college, one of my "friends" as a lark put me down on the sign-up sheet for the interviews one of those scam companies was holding.  As a lark, I went to the interview as I had some time I didn't mind wasting. I had zero interest in getting a summer job, as I had a full-ride scholarship.  I do think I would have been better off interning at a job related to my major than taking classes as I ended up doing, but certainly not a random summer job.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 09:57:55 AM »

John Oliver did a great (albeit lengthy) segment on "Multi-Level Marketing," which is the new sanitized term for a pyramid scheme. There was one recruiting video excerpt where the girl says,

"One day two years from now you're going to quit your job. Your boss is going to ask why, and you'll say 'Remember that pyramid scheme I almost got terminated over last year? Well I'm going to be doing that full-time now.'"

https://youtube.com/watch?v=s6MwGeOm8iI
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 10:35:09 AM »

In Oregon as well
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 12:07:15 PM »

John Oliver did a great (albeit lengthy) segment on "Multi-Level Marketing," which is the new sanitized term for a pyramid scheme. There was one recruiting video excerpt where the girl says,

"One day two years from now you're going to quit your job. Your boss is going to ask why, and you'll say 'Remember that pyramid scheme I almost got terminated over last year? Well I'm going to be doing that full-time now.'"

https://youtube.com/watch?v=s6MwGeOm8iI
Yeah I was thinking of that segment. Their pamphlet explicitly says 'multi-level marketing', so hopefully more people avoid getting suckered.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies