Describe a McCain '08 - Romney '12 - Clinton '16 voter
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:43:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Describe a McCain '08 - Romney '12 - Clinton '16 voter
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Describe a McCain '08 - Romney '12 - Clinton '16 voter  (Read 1032 times)
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 22, 2016, 03:29:57 PM »

I'll start. A reasonable wealthy, urban, historically Republican voter who was cool toward Obama, but alarmed by Trump. Probably someone who either voted for Clinton in the Dem primary or voted for Kasich in the GOP primary.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 03:33:42 PM »

There appears to have been well over 10,000 such voters in Montgomery County, Maryland.
KenDB
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 01:09:31 PM »

I'll start. A reasonable wealthy, urban, historically Republican voter who was cool toward Obama, but alarmed by Trump. Probably someone who either voted for Clinton in the Dem primary or voted for Kasich in the GOP primary.

Aside from the income part, I am lowerish middle class, this very accurately describes me. I voted Kasich in the primary.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 06:51:33 PM »

Me.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 06:59:15 PM »

Same.

A lot of moderate Republicans would fall into this category, regardless of income level or region.

Also, somebody who voted primarily in support of a "hawkish" foreign policy would probably fit this category.  I expect there's a lot of overlap between national security Republicans and "moderates" though
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 07:01:04 PM »

Joe Lieberman
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 07:07:02 PM »

The entire GOP Establishment.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 10:40:12 AM »

voters making over $100,000 in the 2012 exit poll:
Romney 54%
Obama 44%
3rd party 2%

voters making over $100,000 in the 2016 exit poll:
Clinton 47%
Trump 47%
3rd party 6%

So plenty of rich switched from Romney to either Clinton or Johnson this time around.  Though Obama and McCain were also tied among those over $100,000 in 2008, so I guess some of those folks went Obama-Romney-Clinton.

Anyway, voters making over $100,000 swung Dem. more than any other demographic this time, so that would be the demo to look at for this question.

Other demographic variables that swung Democratic this time: over 65, Republican, and Jewish.  So rich, old Republican Jews were presumably the most likely to vote Clinton after having voted Romney last time.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 09:49:49 PM »

About 1/3 of my friends.   All of them fit the same demographic.  White Male married age in the 40s with kids, have graduate degrees, have senior management roles, living in suburbs or upscale urban areas and have household incomes of $750K+.  BTW that describe me as well except for the White part. 

About 1/3 of my friends are Obama-Obama-Clinton, another 1/3 are Obama-Romney-Clinton, and the last 1/3 are Mccain-Romney-Clinton (ok one of them voted Johnson.)   This crowd really respects Buffet, Bloomberg and Meg Whitman and when they all endorsed Clinton that was enough to push pretty much all of them over to Clinton.  If Kasich was on the ticket I would say around 80% of my friends would vote Kasich over Clinton.  Of course I always suspected a couple of my friends really voted Trump but were too embarrassed to admit it.   

I am pretty much the only person in my social circle that will publicly come out for Trump.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies