Trump disavows alt-right, wants it looked into
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 10:58:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump disavows alt-right, wants it looked into
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Trump disavows alt-right, wants it looked into  (Read 1312 times)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2016, 09:46:16 PM »

Why can't Trump hate the alt-right as much as the hates the 'failing' New York Times?

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2016, 10:03:58 PM »

Excellent. I don't want a bunch of Neo-Nazi's who jack it to anime hijacking the movement like they tried to do with Ron Paul four years ago.

Coming from the guy who used the word lugenpresse recently, that's rich. I'd say they've been quite successful.
It was used with a specific, intended purpose and I see it's worked.

Sure thing Wink Every time you adopt a group's language or behavior, you legitimize them. It's a simple as that.

Does that mean the left will stop calling people "fascist" over and over again when there's clearly no fascism afoot?
That the fascists are catching a ride on the Trump Train in no way means they aren't fascists.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2016, 12:19:15 AM »

Excellent. I don't want a bunch of Neo-Nazi's who jack it to anime hijacking the movement like they tried to do with Ron Paul four years ago.

Coming from the guy who used the word lugenpresse recently, that's rich. I'd say they've been quite successful.

Sure thing Wink Every time you adopt a group's language or behavior, you legitimize them. It's a simple as that.
And the use of the German expression for "lying press" legitimizes anti-semitism exactly how? I seem to recall a video of Hitler in a movie screaming "Nein! Nein! Nein!" Should we not use that in popular culture too?
Honey when you use Nazi language; and by that I mean the way they looked and said about things, no the German, you legitimatize the Nazi.  Don't try and say you don't know what your doing because playing dumb only makes it worse.
People may only refer to me as "Honey" unless they do it in the voice of Joe Jack on King of the Hill. And I'm not really playing dumb or being obtuse here. I know the context of the phrase. I used it anyway. I used it in the same way I quote lines from movies, like when I say "eff it dude, let's go bowling."

Why can't Trump hate the alt-right as much as the hates the 'failing' New York Times?
It's pretty clear who the bigger threat to democracy in America is. One constantly lies, makes up false information, and smears people in a obsessive, hateful manner in an effort to misinform and intimidate the American public.

The other is a group of neo-Nazis who masturbate to anime.

Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2016, 12:34:13 AM »

I guess because the NYT doesn't fawn all over him. He likes that kind of stuff, you know.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2016, 06:01:28 AM »

It's pretty clear who the bigger threat to democracy in America is. One constantly lies, makes up false information, and smears people in a obsessive, hateful manner in an effort to misinform and intimidate the American public.

aw don't be so hard on yourself honey
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2016, 07:34:13 AM »

Enough. We know that you are "uncomfortable" with the entire Jew thing. We get that. But why do you have to bring up hentai?
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2016, 10:16:46 AM »

Meanwhile his alt-right supporters will probably be doing things like this again:

The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2016, 10:52:07 AM »

Your problem is quite simple.

They think they're successful. If you attempt to repudiate them now at this point, and try to govern from the center, they will flip out. So will their more moderate brethren who share some of their sympathies.

Example: Coal Country PA isn't exactly a hotbed of racial liberalism. They're not racists either but they're not racial liberals. And they believe distinctly that their agenda is on the table now. That means: a wall, deportation of criminals/illegals, a restoration of cultural domination (not racial, cultural), renegotiation of trade. And somehow, that their lives will get better. 

They were fed a steady stream of dog whistles (and foghorn blaring) to reassure them that they were still the country's dominant group and still mattered. (Spoiler alert: they're a dwindling group).

So, when things don't improve, when crap hits the fan because of the economic and demographic realignment, the GOP will be caught in a vise between two hard and worsening places.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2016, 10:54:20 AM »

Trump is "repudiating" (not really) the alt-right because they've served his purpose and he needs to look centrist. Remember, Trump only cares about himself first and foremost. Everyone else is expendable.

Also they've looked at the polling and found that the Democratic demographic majority is here and they need to make up 2.5 million votes between now and 2020 while their white majority shrink. So, really, more than 2.5 million votes.

Do they have a plan? No, not really. Wing it is what Bannon, Trump, and Co will do in the hopes that they find a solution of some kind.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2016, 11:09:57 AM »
« Edited: November 23, 2016, 11:14:31 AM by Truman Democrat »

Here's the math problem. Whites will make 67-68% of the electorate in 2020. That means that automatically you're losing political support if you're the Republican Party. W fixed this between 2000 and 2004 by expanding his Latino vote share from 35 to 44% and improving his white margins. Even then so, the Democratic vote remained stable.

The opposing party's vote share usually stays stable. The victorious second term party usually sops up votes that were third party or write in or whatever. So assumptions: the Democrats will remain at 47-48% of the vote minimum. That's their floor.

If Trump loses the popular vote by 1.8% percent, to win re-election, he's going to have to make up that 1.8% PLUS probably 2% more to reach 50%. That means a 4% increase in GOP support. Since whites will make up fewer voters, he's already more votes down in the hole than his 2.5 million votes.

He has two routes. 1 - Double down on his white margins and hope that he reaches 62-63% of white voters 2 - Go for a broad coalition that reaches 35% Latinos and 40+ Asian (the black vote is gone - maximum 10%) and top it off with 60% of the white vote.

This is Trump trying to expand his base but here's the biggest problem. Trump has zero expertise in coalition building. Bannon, even less. The alt-right has no interest in expanding their plurality coalition.

In the long run? "Doom upon all the [Republican] world."  They might eke out 2020 but Trump being president really ultimately shipwrecks their coalition. There's only so many whites you can mine before you start running out of votes.

By 2036 - which is 20 years away - whites will make up 57-59% of the vote. It means you'd have to win 75% of whites to reach 45%. Pro tip - the GOP margin among whites has expanded, but since 2004, their OVERALL numbers have barely improved. Bush won 55% of whites in 2000, Trump won 58% in 2016. The white vote isn't simply accelerating towards the GOP at a high enough speed to outweigh the minorities.  

The biggest reason that is happening? Economy. Educated whites don't like the Brexit GOP and what they represent. They want good paying jobs that reward them for developing their skills, not working in a factory. They want globalization because it means they can get more clients and more contacts and network around the world (and make more money).

IS ANYONE beginning to understand why electing Trump and the Brexit Right a long term nightmare for the GOP? It has 60% to do with economics, 40% demographics.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2016, 01:55:26 PM »

Enough. We know that you are "uncomfortable" with the entire Jew thing. We get that. But why do you have to bring up hentai?
Do none of you guys follow Rick Wilson on Twitter? The dudes a riot. You'd get it if you follow him.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2016, 04:30:11 PM »

Meanwhile his alt-right supporters will probably be doing things like this again:

Don't be silly. They'll say "native" or "citizens" or "no immigrants" or something. With the definition of "immigrant" (according to them) being: anyone who isn't Caucasian and preferably Germanic.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2016, 04:52:29 PM »

Here's the math problem. Whites will make 67-68% of the electorate in 2020. That means that automatically you're losing political support if you're the Republican Party. W fixed this between 2000 and 2004 by expanding his Latino vote share from 35 to 44% and improving his white margins. Even then so, the Democratic vote remained stable.

The opposing party's vote share usually stays stable. The victorious second term party usually sops up votes that were third party or write in or whatever. So assumptions: the Democrats will remain at 47-48% of the vote minimum. That's their floor.

If Trump loses the popular vote by 1.8% percent, to win re-election, he's going to have to make up that 1.8% PLUS probably 2% more to reach 50%. That means a 4% increase in GOP support. Since whites will make up fewer voters, he's already more votes down in the hole than his 2.5 million votes.

He has two routes. 1 - Double down on his white margins and hope that he reaches 62-63% of white voters 2 - Go for a broad coalition that reaches 35% Latinos and 40+ Asian (the black vote is gone - maximum 10%) and top it off with 60% of the white vote.

This is Trump trying to expand his base but here's the biggest problem. Trump has zero expertise in coalition building. Bannon, even less. The alt-right has no interest in expanding their plurality coalition.

In the long run? "Doom upon all the [Republican] world."  They might eke out 2020 but Trump being president really ultimately shipwrecks their coalition. There's only so many whites you can mine before you start running out of votes.

By 2036 - which is 20 years away - whites will make up 57-59% of the vote. It means you'd have to win 75% of whites to reach 45%. Pro tip - the GOP margin among whites has expanded, but since 2004, their OVERALL numbers have barely improved. Bush won 55% of whites in 2000, Trump won 58% in 2016. The white vote isn't simply accelerating towards the GOP at a high enough speed to outweigh the minorities.  

The biggest reason that is happening? Economy. Educated whites don't like the Brexit GOP and what they represent. They want good paying jobs that reward them for developing their skills, not working in a factory. They want globalization because it means they can get more clients and more contacts and network around the world (and make more money).

IS ANYONE beginning to understand why electing Trump and the Brexit Right a long term nightmare for the GOP? It has 60% to do with economics, 40% demographics.

You're missing the key parts of how Pussygrabber won this election, and the GOP strategy in general: Disenfranchise whenever possible, and drive the whole process into the mud in order to drive down enthusiasm and thus turnout.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2016, 05:03:42 PM »

Do none of you guys follow Rick Wilson on Twitter? The dudes a riot. You'd get it if you follow him.

He's not entirely wrong, as stupid as it sounds. Lots of Neo-Nazi commenters on Youtube have anime avatars. In fact, I addressed this before Rick made his famous remark:

Honestly, these people ruin the anti-immigration crowd for me. Just about everyone who uses this term (on Youtube or other political forums) is a conspiracy theorist, anti-Semitic nutcase who usually has anime in their avatar. Truly disturbing individuals, they are like reverse SJWs.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2016, 09:28:21 PM »

And the use of the German expression for "lying press" legitimizes anti-semitism exactly how? I seem to recall a video of Hitler in a movie screaming "Nein! Nein! Nein!" Should we not use that in popular culture too?
Honey when you use Nazi language; and by that I mean the way they looked and said about things, no the German, you legitimatize the Nazi.  Don't try and say you don't know what your doing because playing dumb only makes it worse.
People may only refer to me as "Honey" unless they do it in the voice of Joe Jack on King of the Hill. And I'm not really playing dumb or being obtuse here. I know the context of the phrase. I used it anyway. I used it in the same way I quote lines from movies, like when I say "eff it dude, let's go bowling."

Is there anyone who's been more of an insufferable prick since the election since Sanchez?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies