What Issue has the most sway in determining how you vote? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:10:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What Issue has the most sway in determining how you vote? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
The Economy
The Deficit/Debt
Health Care in general
Abortion
LGBT
Death Penalty
Foreign Policy
Climate Change/Environment/Energy
Supreme Court
Education
Entitlements/Social Welfare Programs
Taxes
War on Drugs
Immigration
Other
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: What Issue has the most sway in determining how you vote?  (Read 1195 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« on: November 22, 2016, 07:36:48 PM »

The deficit/debt, hands down. It's despicable that only the libertarians realize the YUGE dilemma we are handing to our children and grandchildren. Sure, Trump probably talked about it, but he proposes big tax cuts and spending increases with no real way to pay for them. Clinton talked about increasing this tax and that tax, but her plan was still predicted by independent analysts to increase the deficit significantly. (albeit by a lesser amount than Trump's plan). When I started thinking about whether I could vote for Johnson, his commitment to balancing the budget was a large attracting force.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 02:29:40 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I should clarify that I am not a single issue voter either. If someone disagrees with me on the deficit being a problem, but agrees with me on everything else, I would still vote for them. It's just that the deficit/debt is the issue that is hardest for me to "concede".

A huge part of my voting philosophy is that I am generally willing to "forget" one or two or in some cases three components of a candidate's platform as long as I agree to the rest. Obviously, some issues are harder to leave aside than others, but there is only a very small spectrum of issues (support for the civil rights act, support for the first amendment, rejection of atheism, and a few others) that I could never hypothetically be convinced to "concede" based on widespread agreement elsewhere. I demonstrated this behavior in my presidential vote this year.

I disagreed with Gary Johnson on Abortion and Education. Why did I cast a vote for him (with a clear conscience, and without even thinking about holding my nose) then? Because I go to his position on drug legalization and he understands that the war on drugs isn't working. Because I go to his position on Foreign Policy and he understands that America is simply spending too much on our military. Because I go to his position on the tax code and see that he realizes it's a mess. Because I go to his position on entitlements and he is the only candidate that realizes we must make significant changes to the structure of Social Security and Medicare (As much as I support eliminating the payroll tax cap, I also realize it will pass congress on the 12th of never.). Because I go to his position on the deficit, and we agree that a balanced budget is essential.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies