Most important policy issues for Republicans (R only)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:54:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Most important policy issues for Republicans (R only)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What should be the most important policy issues for Republicans in 2018 and 2020?
Civil Rights and Liberties (Social Issues)

Climate Change and the Environment

College Access and Affordability

Corruption and Government Transparency

Cybersecurity, Terrorism, and Foreign Policy

Debt and Deficits

Energy Independence and Green Energy

Government Reform

Healthcare

Housing Affordability

Immigration and Refugees

Income and Wealth Inequality

Infrastructure and Domestic Revitalization

Poverty

Race Relations and Discrimination

Social Welfare Programs

Taxes and Regulations

The Economy

Trade

Unemployment and Job Growth

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Most important policy issues for Republicans (R only)  (Read 1075 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 24, 2016, 01:25:01 AM »

Although we cannot see what the future holds, assuming there are no dramatic changes in domestic or international affairs during the next 2-4 years, which of the following issues do you believe the Republican Party should emphasize in the 2018 midterms and 2020 Presidential Election?

The version of this poll for Democrats can be found here.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 06:53:57 AM »

White nationalism.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 07:33:12 AM »

That's immigration and CRCL but I guess that isn't something to hide anymore.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 07:56:33 AM »

The categories are somewhat muddled.  I do think, however, that the most important issues facing America nowadays are a combination of Security (including immigration) and Upward Mobility issues (including housing and healthcare).

There are some issues that I don't know where to begin on.  Education is one of them.  Part of the problem with education in America is that too many American parents AND kids don't understand how significant their present educational opportunities actually are.  On the other hand, our public schools are extremely problematic because of the behavioral issues of the kids there that stem, in large measure, from the problems they have due to the breakdown of the marital family, and the problems that ensue from the types of family structures that take their place.  Intact, marital families, in the aggregate, produce better outcomes for children than single parent families, blended families, etc., and it is, disproportionately, children from these other family structures that bring the most disruptive behaviors into public schools, and their behaviors negatively impact ALL students there. 

The obvious solution is to encourage persons, as strongly as possible, (A) not to have children out of wedlock, (B) not to view divorce as an option when there are children involved and the issues are ones other than infidelity, violence, or other severely dysfunctional behavior, and (C) to recognize that family was meant to be the primary unit through which children were civilized and instilled with the basic traits of what we would consider to be "good citizens" (folks with a sense of personal responsibility, consideration for others, and a stake in the welfare of their country and community).  Unfortunately, we've come so far from these ideals that I honestly have no idea as to how government action would significantly push society toward this.  I really do believe, however, that the decline of the traditional intact marital family unit in America is at the core of a massive swath of social and economic problems.  I also believe that folks' sense of guilt at their own personal choices and defensiveness about this topic is the biggest barrier to beginning a solution. 
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 10:07:07 AM »

The categories are somewhat muddled.  I do think, however, that the most important issues facing America nowadays are a combination of Security (including immigration) and Upward Mobility issues (including housing and healthcare).

There are some issues that I don't know where to begin on.  Education is one of them.  Part of the problem with education in America is that too many American parents AND kids don't understand how significant their present educational opportunities actually are.  On the other hand, our public schools are extremely problematic because of the behavioral issues of the kids there that stem, in large measure, from the problems they have due to the breakdown of the marital family, and the problems that ensue from the types of family structures that take their place.  Intact, marital families, in the aggregate, produce better outcomes for children than single parent families, blended families, etc., and it is, disproportionately, children from these other family structures that bring the most disruptive behaviors into public schools, and their behaviors negatively impact ALL students there. 

The obvious solution is to encourage persons, as strongly as possible, (A) not to have children out of wedlock, (B) not to view divorce as an option when there are children involved and the issues are ones other than infidelity, violence, or other severely dysfunctional behavior, and (C) to recognize that family was meant to be the primary unit through which children were civilized and instilled with the basic traits of what we would consider to be "good citizens" (folks with a sense of personal responsibility, consideration for others, and a stake in the welfare of their country and community).  Unfortunately, we've come so far from these ideals that I honestly have no idea as to how government action would significantly push society toward this.  I really do believe, however, that the decline of the traditional intact marital family unit in America is at the core of a massive swath of social and economic problems.  I also believe that folks' sense of guilt at their own personal choices and defensiveness about this topic is the biggest barrier to beginning a solution. 

And of course the irony is lost though irony never really helps.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 10:23:44 PM »

For myself, the most important single issues are those of life ethics (abortion, euthanesia, death penalty, torture) and the end of all of them,, for most its the economy....,
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 10:51:03 PM »

It honestly depends on what they've already accomplished by then.

If they've already pushed illegal immigration numbers down and repealed Obamacare (and replaced it with something better), I say they should steal an issue from the Democrats and work on criminal justice/sentencing reform for non-violent offenders. It's an issue that should have bipartisan support.

If they haven't accomplished both those things, then whichever they haven't already accomplished.

Also, maintaining/restoring the bipartisan support for Israel that has existed for over half a century should be of paramount importance. Appointing Mike Huckabee as ambassador to Israel could put an end to Democrats' support for Israel (as a party, not every individual member in Congress necessarily).

Trump could campaign against the current tax structure as well. The people who are most hurt by it are not the rich but people who are trying to be upwardly mobile, particularly those trying to make the jump from middle to upper class, but also those trying to enter the middle class.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 01:08:44 AM »

For myself, the most important single issues are those of life ethics (abortion, euthanesia, death penalty, torture) and the end of all of them,, for most its the economy....,

Not to take over the Republican thread, but isn't Trump promoting bringing back torture?
He changed his mind thanks to General Mattie, regardless that has nothing to do with my statement.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 08:55:24 AM »

It honestly depends on what they've already accomplished by then.

If they've already pushed illegal immigration numbers down and repealed Obamacare (and replaced it with something better), I say they should steal an issue from the Democrats and work on criminal justice/sentencing reform for non-violent offenders. It's an issue that should have bipartisan support.

If they haven't accomplished both those things, then whichever they haven't already accomplished.

Also, maintaining/restoring the bipartisan support for Israel that has existed for over half a century should be of paramount importance. Appointing Mike Huckabee as ambassador to Israel could put an end to Democrats' support for Israel (as a party, not every individual member in Congress necessarily).

Trump could campaign against the current tax structure as well. The people who are most hurt by it are not the rich but people who are trying to be upwardly mobile, particularly those trying to make the jump from middle to upper class, but also those trying to enter the middle class.

I would agree with the issue of criminal justice reform. 

Too many people are arrested for drug possession offenses and tattooed with a felony criminal record which never goes away without a pardon, which is not easy to obtain.  This makes viable employment hard, and makes being shut out of the middle class a lifetime punishment for a youthful mistake.

There are some folks that ought to have a lifetime record, with folks being wary of them.  But there are many convicted felons who are in that status because of old offenses that don't reflect at all the person they are today, and have been.  I would hope that President Trump would do this for large numbers of Federal felons and encourage Governors of states to do the same for such offenders in states who no longer pose threats.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 10:53:44 AM »

Taxes and regulations, trade, the economy, debt and deficits and cybersecurity, terrorism and foreign policy.

The ones that affect me most, naturally.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 04:04:45 PM »
« Edited: November 26, 2016, 08:50:31 PM by Blue3 »

No surprise it's the economy, immigration, and ISIS so far.

For the Democrats, it's affordability, discrimination/liberty, environment.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies