The Potomac Agreement: A Co-Presidency
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:32:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Potomac Agreement: A Co-Presidency
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The Potomac Agreement: A Co-Presidency  (Read 1996 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2016, 12:15:48 PM »

X North Carolina Yankee

Assuming this is the official document.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2016, 11:11:50 PM »

I feel more than ever you should have went with the option of the two tickets splitting the remaining period in the term instead of the weird hybrid ticket deal.

Not only VP candidates don't get to serve in that role for half a term because they were tied VP, Kingpoleon who gave up his chance to be VP was not approved for a Cabinet role in the confirmation hearing.  He can't even claim a consolation prize. Nice collaborating spirit.

I am not in agreement with the theory that splitting the rest of the term between the two tickets would be unconstitutional.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The hold his office for a term of four months is the general duration of a presidential term. I believe it was the intention when it was written anyway. Not all Presidents hold office for four months. If we had a winner after weeks of court cases, there would not have been four months left in office and there would not have been an extension. If a President resigns, someone new becomes President. The new President will not hold the presidential office for four months.

There are special situations and the tie outcome is planned in the law, with the two tickets splitting equally the term one valid option.
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2016, 12:14:47 AM »

[quote author=Poirot link=topic=253327.msg5427864#msg5427864 date=1481343110
Not only VP candidates don't get to serve in that role for half a term because they were tied VP, Kingpoleon who gave up his chance to be VP was not approved for a Cabinet role in the confirmation hearing.  He can't even claim a consolation prize. Nice collaborating spirit.[/quote]

A few things, buddy:

1. That was Kingpoleon and Blair's choice to have Kingpoleon go for SecState.
2. I think that there was a "collaborating spirit" in opposing Kingpoleon's nomination. Noted Labour Senator (and liberal reformist) Scott joined forces with noted conservatives and Federalist Senators JCL and PiT to defeat the nomination.

And I'll still be having my half a term as VP, which half of Atlasia voted for a full term. So you have that to look forward to.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2016, 03:50:28 AM »

If Blair wanted Kingpoleon to remain as VP until like late December/early January (leaving just enough time for me to be confirmed as VP before the transition date), I would have said yes.

The unfortunate circumstance of this was that we have a vague remedy having to navigate some strict constitutional waters in other areas and there was no good way to go about implementing this without being exposed to Senate confirmations.

Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2016, 01:13:44 AM »

Not only VP candidates don't get to serve in that role for half a term because they were tied VP, Kingpoleon who gave up his chance to be VP was not approved for a Cabinet role in the confirmation hearing.  He can't even claim a consolation prize. Nice collaborating spirit.
This is not the case. NCYankee promised to keep me on for his part of the time. Judging by rpryor's barely subtle harsh criticism of me, I would guess that RPryor would not agree with such a decision.

This is not NCYankee's fault. This is the fault of a joke of a confirmation hearing where Scott claimed to have vague concerns after asking two or three questions. As for his vague concerns, I wish that he had been more specific. PiT and JCL asked no questions, despite the fact that their concerns obviously were great enough to vote against me. If a concern can't be clarified, that seriously concerns me as to what I have done wrong so that two Senators find ample reason to vote against me without asking a single question.

In short, the confirmation hearing period probably should have been extended by someone who wanted to ask more questions or be more specific, rather than vote against me without asking any questions.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2016, 06:48:47 AM »
« Edited: December 14, 2016, 07:11:01 AM by Senator Scott »

This is not the case. NCYankee promised to keep me on for his part of the time. Judging by rpryor's barely subtle harsh criticism of me, I would guess that RPryor would not agree with such a decision.

This is not NCYankee's fault. This is the fault of a joke of a confirmation hearing where Scott claimed to have vague concerns after asking two or three questions. As for his vague concerns, I wish that he had been more specific. PiT and JCL asked no questions, despite the fact that their concerns obviously were great enough to vote against me. If a concern can't be clarified, that seriously concerns me as to what I have done wrong so that two Senators find ample reason to vote against me without asking a single question.

In short, the confirmation hearing period probably should have been extended by someone who wanted to ask more questions or be more specific, rather than vote against me without asking any questions.

I voted against your confirmation because I was not convinced, based on the way you answered those questions, that you had a full understanding of what the job of SoS entailed and I was unwilling to vote for someone who would have potentially used the office to force democracy abroad.  The way you answered those questions, if anything, was confusing in some resects and that was enough to cast serious doubts as to whether you were prepared to take the office.  It wasn't just me who had reservations, either; I had spoken with a few prominent individuals before the confirmation vote (who shall remain anonymous unless they would like to come forward) and they pretty much felt the same way.

JCL stated why he voted against and I would assume that PiT had some of the objections that were raised, as well (though I agree that it's not particularly helpful when legislators vote against something without explaining their opposition beforehand; most of the Senate, unfortunately, has not been pulling its weight this past month.)

But this has nothing to do with Yankee or the Potomac Agreement or even you personally.  This is why we have confirmation hearings: if most senators do not believe that a nominee has a clear understanding of the powers of the office or feel that decisions they would make could lead to problems at home or abroad, then the nominee will not be approved.  I take no pleasure in voting against people I've had the opportunity to work with in the past.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2016, 06:47:28 PM »

The way I originally understood it, Yankee would become VP shortly before the switch in January, and Blair would immediately resign once he's confirmed, so each of the VPs got around half the term. Presumably Blair, Kingpoleon, and Yankee didn't see it that way, yet Rpryor doesn't seem to have agreed to that.

While I agree the power-sharing agreement is a good idea, and since Kingpoleon wasn't VP for this half of the term it makes sense to have Blair be VP under Yankee, I can't help but think that, the way it is, Rpryor, having half-won the election for VP, is getting screwed.
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2016, 10:24:12 PM »

The way I originally understood it, Yankee would become VP shortly before the switch in January, and Blair would immediately resign once he's confirmed, so each of the VPs got around half the term. Presumably Blair, Kingpoleon, and Yankee didn't see it that way, yet Rpryor doesn't seem to have agreed to that.

Your inference is correct.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2016, 01:06:55 AM »

Again: I resigned as I'd rather serve a full term as Secretary of State than half a term as VP. Since NCYankee agreed to me, I decided to try to become Secretary of State. RPryor should get his half-term unless Blair and Yankee decide something differently.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2016, 04:45:49 AM »
« Edited: December 15, 2016, 04:49:28 AM by President Blair »

We haven't even discussed yet who'd be Yankee VP; and I was never assumed that it would be me. I always assumed that Rpryor would get the job, and have been thinking about what I'd be doing for the two months after I resign as President. I have no plans to be VP
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies