The Potomac Agreement: A Co-Presidency (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:33:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Potomac Agreement: A Co-Presidency (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Potomac Agreement: A Co-Presidency  (Read 2002 times)
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« on: November 27, 2016, 07:50:09 PM »

Seeing Kingpoleon swear in and resign for VP the same day, does it mean NCYankee is VP right away or only in January just before the switch in President. It was not clear to me when I read the agreement.

I thought the law in case of a tie after run off said each candidate gets half the term. I presume it is the whole ticket, including the VP. 
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 10:57:50 PM »

The tied runoff scenario is not in the constitution (we can't have all the laws in the constitution) but the election act quoted earlier gives half a term to each candidate.

From the Federal Election Act

Section 4: Tied Runoff Elections
If the Runoff Election procedure specified in section 4 results in a tie, then:
1. One of the tied candidates may concede their portion of the term. The rules for determining the winner shall proceed based on as if the number tied candidates is reduced by one.
2. The two candidates shall each serve for one half of a term.

I'm for giving each ticket (President and VP) half of the remaining term. It seems logic in case of a tie, both ticket gets their turn at governing. Now the tied VP won't even get the chance to be VP even if they both tied in public vote? If VP is not that important, abolish it.

In the twisted Blair / NCYankee ticket, when Blair resigns from President will he then be nominated to be VP and need to be confirmed by the Senate.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 11:11:50 PM »

I feel more than ever you should have went with the option of the two tickets splitting the remaining period in the term instead of the weird hybrid ticket deal.

Not only VP candidates don't get to serve in that role for half a term because they were tied VP, Kingpoleon who gave up his chance to be VP was not approved for a Cabinet role in the confirmation hearing.  He can't even claim a consolation prize. Nice collaborating spirit.

I am not in agreement with the theory that splitting the rest of the term between the two tickets would be unconstitutional.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The hold his office for a term of four months is the general duration of a presidential term. I believe it was the intention when it was written anyway. Not all Presidents hold office for four months. If we had a winner after weeks of court cases, there would not have been four months left in office and there would not have been an extension. If a President resigns, someone new becomes President. The new President will not hold the presidential office for four months.

There are special situations and the tie outcome is planned in the law, with the two tickets splitting equally the term one valid option.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies