What would cause You to change parties?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:20:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What would cause You to change parties?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Would you ever consider switching parties?
Yes (list circumstances)

No (I am a hack)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: What would cause You to change parties?  (Read 1982 times)
Cashew
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 24, 2016, 04:45:40 PM »

Seeing as though I am a left leaning independent, I will do mine on what would make me lean GOP.

Republican: Support massive infrastructure spending, stop shilling for big pharma, stop gutting regulations, purge neoconfederates.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 04:49:20 PM »

Abortion plus showing a willingness to play ball on religious liberty. I'm closer to the Democrats on most issues anyway, so it wouldn't take much to flip me.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 05:00:59 PM »

In registration?  Nothing.  And whatever you think that makes me, it doesn't automatically make me a "hack."
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 05:07:44 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=18844.msg5326049#msg5326049

adopt all of this stuff
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 05:14:26 PM »

Trumpism taking over the GOP and the man himself is what caused me to leave the GOP, I still don't know if this is permanent or temporary.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 05:24:00 PM »

Nothing would make me go Republican at this point.

But to become a Left-leaning authoritarian Independent wouldn't take much at this point, actually flirted around with the idea. Trump getting re-elected might be the final straw.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 05:39:27 PM »

Trumpism taking over the GOP and the man himself is what caused me to leave the GOP, I still don't know if this is permanent or temporary.

This. White nationalism being a driving force in the GOP plus their raging protectionism made me leave the GOP. I am a conservative but I definitely identify as a Democrat for the next several years until this virus leaves the GOP.

They voted for President "Pussygrabber," who spouted bigotry about Muslims, Latinos, and refused to rent apartments to black people. That says it all. Bannon rants about the Jews. By staying in his party, every Republican implicitly consents to being part of that and says it's OK.

They may personally not be racist but they are enablers of a horrifying strand of racism, sexism, and outright bigotry. Oh, also, Russia hacking the DNC.

Every Republican supporting Trump consents to a foreign power interfering in our elections. We went from the party that stood up to the Evil Empire to the party begging Russia to hack the Democratic nominee's emails.

So yeah - every Trump supporter at this point is a enabler of foreign interference in American elections, racism, bigotry, and ethnonationalism. That's what he campaigned on and won support on. These are not really disputable facts. 
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 05:41:56 PM »

I mean, my state uses a jungle primary for everything except President, so I don't really have much reason to change registration. As for who I actually support, it depends on the race and the candidates, so I guess that makes me a de facto independent anyway, though I don't consider myself left-wing.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 05:44:36 PM »

I'll gladly become a Democrat when they become the party of basically sane Ross Perots. I would wholeheartedly vote for a Southern Democrat party that was not segregationist. In fact, I feel like most white Southerners and I are Southern Democrats who just so happen to be in the Republican tent rather than being a Republican first.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 06:14:26 PM »

Teddy Roosevelt arises from the dead and takes over the GOP, while George Wallace does the same and takes over the Dems. The parties would need to swap platforms, I wouldn't be a dixiecrat, I'd be okay as a progressive Republican.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2016, 06:22:39 PM »

Being Anti-Israel, being an out and open antisemite, racist (think David Duke or Louis Farrakhan) etc...

Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2016, 06:43:41 PM »

I'll gladly become a Democrat when they become the party of basically sane Ross Perots.

This. I'd be fine voting Democrat more frequently if they were actually as socially liberal and personally tolerant as they used to claim to be. Basically, stop trying to ban speech, guns, religious believers, and non-PC food and stop with this holier-than-though, pretentious, insulting, hateful world view that people who disagree are goddamn stupid ignorant racist knuckledragging neanderthal white rednecks voting out of systemic privilege against their own self interest and who aren't even smart enough to leave nowheresville or bumble to look for consulting work in the glorious cities where everyone is totally not racist. I mean, I hate the Republican Party but the only people who ever insult me personally for my beliefs during a disagreement are Democrats.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2016, 07:43:23 PM »

If the democrats give up on issues that I vote for them for or I become confident that they can't win. That'll make me an Indepedent swing voter between Republican and Third Party.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2016, 08:07:14 PM »

I'll gladly become a Democrat when they become the party of basically sane Ross Perots. I would wholeheartedly vote for a Southern Democrat party that was not segregationist. In fact, I feel like most white Southerners and I are Southern Democrats who just so happen to be in the Republican tent rather than being a Republican first.

Then get the hell out of it, move to the Democratic Party and help change it to what you'd like it to be. Smiley

Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2016, 09:30:48 PM »

Then get the hell out of it, move to the Democratic Party and help change it to what you'd like it to be. Smiley

That's not going to happen 2017-onward. If anything, Trump's victory and the continuation of identity politics in the Democratic Party is going to further cement us Southerners into the GOP.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2016, 09:32:00 PM »

For me to completely abdondon the GOP is if they embrace trumpsim and give up Reaganism
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2016, 10:29:22 PM »

I'll be switching back to the Dems in a few months, but I originally switched because I was upset with how the DNC treated the Bernman.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2016, 10:36:03 PM »

Realistically, virtually nothing. The Republican party has gotten further and further away from any of the more benign aspects of conservatism. Not crazy about the Democratic Party (though I disagree from the left), but I will stay with the Democratic Party and not vote for left-wing third-parties that have no chance of winning.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2016, 12:15:30 AM »

If the Democratic Party (or a future new major party) became the more right-leaning party, especially on issues of morality, but also economic and foreign policy-related ones.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2016, 12:41:52 AM »

- Becoming anti-union
- Becoming pro- free trade
- Interventionist/Hamiltonian/Wilsonian foreign policy
- Open borders becoming a serious part of the platform
- Nominating Gavin Newsom
- Complete DLC takeover
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2016, 01:44:22 AM »

- Becoming anti-union
- Becoming pro- free trade
- Interventionist/Hamiltonian/Wilsonian foreign policy
- Open borders becoming a serious part of the platform
- Nominating Gavin Newsom
- Complete DLC takeover

So, the world where you stop becoming a Democrat is the world where I start becoming one? Wink
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2016, 01:45:10 AM »

With the direction both parties are going, nothing.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2016, 05:54:48 AM »

Anti-Semitism.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2016, 09:08:07 AM »

If the Democratic Party (or a future new major party) became the more right-leaning party, especially on issues of morality, but also economic and foreign policy-related ones.

So basically if the Democratic Party switched all their positions?

If the Republican Party let the RINOs or less offensive Trumps take over then I'd consider voting for them. And if the Democratic Party abandons the Rust Belt and economic populism I would also be severely disillusioned.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2016, 11:23:29 AM »

Nope.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to: