Newest Ohio vote dump decreases trump's margin by 22k, gives hrc loraine C.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:43:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Newest Ohio vote dump decreases trump's margin by 22k, gives hrc loraine C.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Newest Ohio vote dump decreases trump's margin by 22k, gives hrc loraine C.  (Read 2251 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 25, 2016, 01:38:03 PM »

Lorain County has flipped to clinton after newest vote dump gives her 56k votes to trump's 34k.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 04:33:08 PM »

why on earth are we getting vote dumps 2 weeks later?

Provisional ballots.

The state has to check if these are legal voters (they need to send proof of ID and residence) so that their votes are counted. If they fail to provide ID or proof of residence, their votes are not counted.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 07:19:13 PM »

California still has over a million unprocessed ballots.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 08:08:07 PM »

California still has over a million unprocessed ballots.

Yes, but a bunch of them are provisional ballots which not all of them will count.  Also some of them might contain no vote for President.
FairBol
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 11:28:21 PM »

Lorain County has flipped to clinton after newest vote dump gives her 56k votes to trump's 34k.

What the....seriously, why are liberals STILL bitching about "oh, not all the votes have been counted, we're not giving up"? It's now been two and a half weeks since election night....and the result was not close.  It's not like 300 votes or so separate the two candidates, as was the case in 2000.  Hey liberals....TRUMP WON.  Get the hell over it, and focus on winning other elections.  That is all, LOL.  :-/
FairBol
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 11:30:01 PM »

And might I point out that liberals still don't seem to have gotten over their 2000 defeat, even almost seventeen years later.  Sad
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 01:10:22 AM »
« Edited: November 26, 2016, 01:14:13 AM by realisticidealist »

I don't think the title is true. The final tally was Clinton +149, but the Election Night tally was Trump +388. That decreases Trump's margin by only 537 votes, not 22,000.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 01:17:54 AM »

I don't think the title is true. The final tally was Clinton +149, but the Election Night tally was Trump +388. That decreases Trump's margin by only 537 votes, not 22,000.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 01:21:23 AM »

Dave wasserman on twitter say otherwise.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 01:33:41 AM »

Ah, I read it incorrectly. The dump was statewide, not in Lorain... which makes it less noteworthy in general. Losing 20,000 is ~4% of Trump's lead in Ohio.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 01:38:01 AM »

Ah, I read it incorrectly. The dump was statewide, not in Lorain... which makes it less noteworthy in general. Losing 20,000 is ~4% of Trump's lead in Ohio.

It's noteworthy because a similar provisional ballot dump in MI and WI gives him those states.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 01:48:42 AM »
« Edited: November 26, 2016, 01:52:04 AM by realisticidealist »

It's noteworthy because a similar provisional ballot dump in MI and WI gives him those states.

Ohio had WAY, WAY more provisionals than either of those two states. Wisconsin had ~750 total provisionals.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 03:45:27 AM »

If you compare Wasserman's spreadsheet to the results for CNN or the NY Times (these are the same, so they are probably from AP), there is a 56K:34K increase statewide. Which is about 1.8% of the total vote.

Ohio lets voters vote provisionally out of precinct. These voters tend to be concentrated in urban areas and are more likely to be Democratic. If you live on a farm in western Ohio, you are unlikely to go to the wrong polling place, 10 miles away when your polling place is 4 miles away and you have voted there for the past 50 years.

There were about 3600 votes added in Lorain County, which went from a 388-vote Trump margin to a 131-vote Clinton margin.

Obama carried the county by 26,000 votes in 2008, 200 times the size of Clinton's margin.

Of the drop in Clinton support, it appears about 1/3 went to Trump, 1/3 went to others, and 1/3 stayed home.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2016, 03:49:31 AM »

Hasn't Michigan processed all of their provisional ballots?  Plus, Wisconsin's provisional ballot law is totally different.  You can't cast a provisional ballot in Wisconsin unless you're in the polling book but don't have proper ID, and it's the voter's responsibility to remedy it.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 10:12:36 AM »

And might I point out that liberals still don't seem to have gotten over their 2000 defeat, even almost seventeen years later.  Sad
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2016, 12:10:34 PM »
« Edited: November 26, 2016, 12:12:07 PM by Malcolm X »

What the....seriously, why are liberals STILL bitching about "oh, not all the votes have been counted, we're not giving up"? It's now been two and a half weeks since election night....and the result was not close.  It's not like 300 votes or so separate the two candidates, as was the case in 2000.  Hey liberals....TRUMP WON.  Get the hell over it, and focus on winning other elections.  That is all, LOL.  :-/

You hear that sound?  It's the world's smallest violin playing for you and any other conservatives upset that the mean old LIEbruls aren't congratulating you on getting the personification of the worst America has to offer into the Oval Office.

You don't really get to say it wasn't close when your side got over two million less votes; it's not like you guys have anything remotely resembling a mandate.  It's quite possible that when all is said and done Trump will have lost the popular vote by over 2%.  And btw, Trump opened the door for rejecting the legitimacy of the outcome with his pre-election whining, so if you don't like people refusing to acknowledge that your side won, get over it.  What goes around comes around.  Trump and his enablers are gonna find that it is not so easy to govern when half the country hates your guts.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2016, 12:23:28 PM »

it's not like you guys have anything remotely resembling a mandate.  It's quite possible that when all is said and done Trump will have lost the popular vote by over 2%.

I can't help but wonder what conservatives would be saying if the situation was reversed and it was Democrats who, in over a generation, had only initially won the White House each time despite a plurality of the country voting against them? There arguably hasn't been a true conservative mandate in a long time, and unlikely to be one in an equally longer amount of time.

-

In regards to the other comment - while I accepted it a while ago, I definitely do not fault others for looking for any chance to keep a sexual predator conman out of the White House.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2016, 12:30:31 PM »

it's not like you guys have anything remotely resembling a mandate.  It's quite possible that when all is said and done Trump will have lost the popular vote by over 2%.

I can't help but wonder what conservatives would be saying if the situation was reversed and it was Democrats who, in over a generation, had only initially won the White House each time despite a plurality of the country voting against them? There arguably hasn't been a true conservative mandate in a long time, and unlikely to be one in an equally longer amount of time.

-

In regards to the other comment - while I accepted it a while ago, I definitely do not fault others for looking for any chance to keep a sexual predator conman out of the White House.

Bush 04 had a reasonably solid, if narrow, win.

It's kind of amazing that Trump, with 46% of the vote, massively exceeded the electoral total that Bush did with 51% of the vote.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2016, 01:28:03 PM »

Bush 04 had a reasonably solid, if narrow, win.

It's kind of amazing that Trump, with 46% of the vote, massively exceeded the electoral total that Bush did with 51% of the vote.

Right, that's why I said "initially."  Absent one election where their party had an incumbent president, Republicans have not won even a plurality of votes since 1992. That is a pretty bad track record and so as I was saying before, hardly gives Republicans any room to claim any sort of mandate. Fundamentally, things are still not getting any better for them. It was always known that racking up margins among white voters would keep them somewhat competitive in 2016, but that strategy becomes less and less effective going forward, especially considering that the composition of the white electorate is itself changing in favor of Democrats.

That being said, I also think that while rules are rules, Democrats/liberals still have standing to be hostile/angry towards our electoral process. In presidential races, we keep winning more votes than the Republican, and yet still lose. In House races overall, we can't even get a majority of seats unless we win basically a landslide in the House popular vote. If this situation was reversed, I wholeheartedly think there would be plenty of hostility and calls for change from conservatives as well.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2016, 01:33:37 PM »

I'm not liberal, I am right of center. I was a Republican throughout the 1990s, and I voted a straight Republican ticket in 2000.

Regarding election 2000, the thing I am not "over" is that the Supreme Court handed down the worst decision it has ever handed down. Bush v. Gore was true judicial activism, handed down by five Republican Supreme Court Justices, three of whom were appointed to the Court by Ronald Reagan, who so often claimed to be opposed to judicial activism. Because of the Bush v. Gore decision, I now believe that Republican-appointed Justices are no better than Democratic-appointed Justices. I have not supported the Republican Party any more, since I realized that I can no longer, in good conscience, try to argue with anyone that Republicans appoint better Justices than Democrats.

It does not matter that George Bush would have won that election anyway, even if the recounts had been completed. What matters is that Rehnquist, O'Connor, Scalia, Kennedy, and Thomas acted in haste and were motivated by party loyalty. What matters is that these words, near the end of the Court's opinion,
"None are more conscious of the vital limits on judicial authority than are the Members of this Court, and none stand more in admiration of the Constitution's design to leave the selection of the President to the people, through their legislatures, and to the political sphere. When contending parties invoke the process of the courts, however, it becomes our unsought responsibility to resolve the federal and constitutional issues the judicial system has been forced to confront."
... are the epitome of hypocrisy.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2016, 02:17:24 PM »

Well, America's never recovered from W's administration, so....
Arbitrage1980
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2016, 12:22:18 AM »

-

The GOP is in its strongest position since the 1920's. We now control the White House, both houses of Congress, and a solid majority of governorships and state legislatures. Only 4 states have total democratic control of both houses of the legislature and the governorship. During Obama's presidency, the democrats lost 13 Senate seats, 69 House seats, 12 governorships, and 900+ state legislature seats.

Who cares about the popular vote. We are a constitutional republic where the winner of the presidency is decided by the electoral votes. Given how cohesive and unified the GOP is, Trump will have enormous power to undo the harmful Obama legacy and put us back on the right path.

Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -1.74

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2016, 06:36:07 AM »

-

The GOP is in its strongest position since the 1920's. We now control the White House, both houses of Congress, and a solid majority of governorships and state legislatures. Only 4 states have total democratic control of both houses of the legislature and the governorship. During Obama's presidency, the democrats lost 13 Senate seats, 69 House seats, 12 governorships, and 900+ state legislature seats.

Who cares about the popular vote. We are a constitutional republic where the winner of the presidency is decided by the electoral votes. Given how cohesive and unified the GOP is, Trump will have enormous power to undo the harmful Obama legacy and put us back on the right path.

ugghhh, want to vomit
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies