Who would the House Freedom Caucus prefer to have as Speaker?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 06:12:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who would the House Freedom Caucus prefer to have as Speaker?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who would the Freedom Caucus prefer to be Speaker?
Kevin McCarthy

Paul Ryan

Dana Rohrabacher

Lee Zeldin

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: Who would the House Freedom Caucus prefer to have as Speaker?  (Read 835 times)
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 25, 2016, 04:13:00 PM »

Who would the Freedom Caucus prefer?
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 04:47:48 PM »

I don't know too much about Rohrabacher or Zeldin, but I'd assume McCarthy. Of course, this year, they'll stick with Ryan and hope to make the most of the Republican trifecta in the federal government.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 05:19:26 PM »

I don't know too much about Rohrabacher or Zeldin, but I'd assume McCarthy. Of course, this year, they'll stick with Ryan and hope to make the most of the Republican trifecta in the federal government.
McCarthy? The Freedom Caucus doesn't like McCarthy. Look at this here: http://georgiapoliticalreview.com/a-republican-house-divided-cannot-stand/
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 05:23:25 PM »

McCarthy? The Freedom Caucus doesn't like McCarthy. Look at this here: http://georgiapoliticalreview.com/a-republican-house-divided-cannot-stand/
Forgot about that. Sorry.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 05:30:09 PM »
« Edited: November 25, 2016, 05:32:35 PM by ERM64man »

Rohrabacher is a Tea Party hardliner who suggested Obama should be impeached for executive orders on immigration hardline conservatives oppose. Zeldin is an establishment Republican. Does the Freedom Caucus like Ryan?
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 06:00:40 PM »

Zeldin is a big Trump supporter and is pretty conservative but he's not a Freedom Caucus-style Republican. He doesn't really focus on constitutionality as a key tenet of his conservatism.

I say Zeldin is an establishment Republican who knows how to play the game very well. His district went for Trump, most likely as Suffolk County as a whole did. He likely saw voters in his district breaking for Trump early on and decided to do so as well because of the benefits he could reap from it.

He did the same thing in 2014 run, in both the GOP primary and general election. In the primary he harped on his opponent (George Demos)'s times to Nancy Pelosi and big money and wall street. In the general he constantly made an issue of Rep. Bishop's corruption.

I think this makes him unlikely to seek support from the Freedom Caucus. He knows they are unbending while he pays close attention to the patterns and trends in his district.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 02:42:24 AM »

Zeldin is a big Trump supporter and is pretty conservative but he's not a Freedom Caucus-style Republican. He doesn't really focus on constitutionality as a key tenet of his conservatism.

I say Zeldin is an establishment Republican who knows how to play the game very well. His district went for Trump, most likely as Suffolk County as a whole did. He likely saw voters in his district breaking for Trump early on and decided to do so as well because of the benefits he could reap from it.

He did the same thing in 2014 run, in both the GOP primary and general election. In the primary he harped on his opponent (George Demos)'s times to Nancy Pelosi and big money and wall street. In the general he constantly made an issue of Rep. Bishop's corruption.

I think this makes him unlikely to seek support from the Freedom Caucus. He knows they are unbending while he pays close attention to the patterns and trends in his district.
Rohrabacher is a Freedom Caucus-style Republican who called Paul Ryan a spineless coward. Look at this here: http://www.breitbart.com/california/2016/10/11/rohrabacher-blasts-paul-ryan-gop-leaders-gutless/
Cynthia
ueutyi
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -3.63

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 03:44:33 AM »

Scott DesJalaris (pun intended)
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 03:49:45 AM »

I was looking for serious answers about the Republicans I listed.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 02:52:15 PM »

Definetly Rohrabacher.
hopper
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 06:54:12 PM »

Nah he would be polarizing than Pelosi was as Speaker. I could just see it now!
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 08:10:17 PM »

Nah he would be polarizing than Pelosi was as Speaker. I could just see it now!
The Freedom Caucus is polarizing. They would want a polarizing arch-conservative like Rohrabacher.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 08:12:29 PM »

I'd put the smart money on Jim Jordan, who currently leads the Freedom Caucus, but if they could snag Raul Labrador or Louie Gohmert as speaker that would be just as acceptable.

Of these options - Rohrbacher is a little weird for the Freedom Caucus but would probably be the acceptable option, even as Zeldin seems enticing. Ryan and McCarthy are no gos.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2016, 08:15:37 PM »

I'd put the smart money on Jim Jordan, who currently leads the Freedom Caucus, but if they could snag Raul Labrador or Louie Gohmert as speaker that would be just as acceptable.

Of these options - Rohrbacher is a little weird for the Freedom Caucus but would probably be the acceptable option, even as Zeldin seems enticing. Ryan and McCarthy are no gos.
That is true. But which of these non-Freedom Caucus members would the Freedom Caucus prefer as speaker?
hopper
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 08:36:46 PM »

No I don't see Gohmert being Speaker. Labrador I could see being Speaker if he got the parties support.

Zeldin- nah he is a sophomore in Congress.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2016, 11:18:42 PM »

No I don't see Gohmert being Speaker. Labrador I could see being Speaker if he got the parties support.

We're talking about the FREEDOM CAUCUS here, not a group of people that makes rational decisions.
hopper
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2016, 09:32:15 PM »

We're talking about the FREEDOM CAUCUS here, not a group of people that makes rational decisions.
Yeah but you need more than 40 Freedom Caucus Members to vote for you in order to be Speaker.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2016, 12:17:16 AM »

Louie Gohmert
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2016, 07:50:02 PM »

Which of these non-Freedom Caucus members would Gohmert prefer?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies