Which GOP Senators are likely to become Blue Dog Democrats?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:32:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Which GOP Senators are likely to become Blue Dog Democrats?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Which of these Senators are the most likely to switch to the Democratic Party?
Dean Heller

Lisa Murkowski

John McCain

Rob Portman

Susan Collins

John Hoeven

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which GOP Senators are likely to become Blue Dog Democrats?  (Read 3364 times)
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2016, 04:41:15 PM »

I saw Susan Collins speak today. She seems to be distancing herself from Trump, but LOVES the attention as the queen of Moderates. Pretty unlikely she'll switch.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2016, 05:03:59 PM »

None realistically, but if I had to choose one, McCain. Probably doesn't have to worry about getting re-elected, has been personally attacked by the President-elect, and was a past target for a switch.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2016, 05:08:18 PM »

None realistically, but if I had to choose one, McCain. Probably doesn't have to worry about getting re-elected, has been personally attacked by the President-elect, and was a past target for a switch.

He was also a past GOP nominee, it would be completely unprecedented and crazy to switch parties.

NOBODY IS SWITCHING, OP.  Politicians realize that you don't have to agree with your party on everything, and they joined that original party for a reason.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2016, 06:10:30 PM »

small chance of murkowski, even smaller chance of mccain. the others? 0%
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2016, 07:49:57 PM »

I think McCain will become a Blue Dog Democrat in his final term.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2016, 11:07:35 PM »

Why do you really think that. He is Republican. Period. And he's WAY closer to McConnell than he is to Schumer, and he is a former nominee.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2016, 11:29:56 PM »

Why do you really think that. He is Republican. Period. And he's WAY closer to McConnell than he is to Schumer, and he is a former nominee.
Even though he is closer to McConnell, McConnell supports Trump. McCain did consider switching in 2001 despite being closer to McConnell.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2016, 11:55:58 PM »

Even though he is closer to McConnell, McConnell supports Trump. McCain did consider switching in 2001 despite being closer to McConnell.
That was FIFTEEN years ago. He is a Republican. He would never vote for Bernie Sanders to chair the Budget Committee.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2016, 10:16:14 AM »

Wildcard: Lindsey Graham?

But actually neither of these dudes.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2016, 01:17:51 PM »

Easily Murkowski - she's fairly moderate, and unlike Collins, the GOP seems to have active hostility towards her. Collins survives because even hardline GOPers see her as loyal, whereas Murkowski votes way more moderate than her state tends to accept from a Republican Senator.

Rick Santorum is quoted as liking Susan Collins more than John McCain because she's a more loyal Republican when it matters, whereas McCain, who probably votes more conservatively, is willing to balk on serious issues.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2016, 06:04:51 PM »

Easily Murkowski - she's fairly moderate, and unlike Collins, the GOP seems to have active hostility towards her. Collins survives because even hardline GOPers see her as loyal, whereas Murkowski votes way more moderate than her state tends to accept from a Republican Senator.

Rick Santorum is quoted as liking Susan Collins more than John McCain because she's a more loyal Republican when it matters, whereas McCain, who probably votes more conservatively, is willing to balk on serious issues.
Is the GOP base in Arizona hostile to McCain?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2016, 02:53:01 PM »

McCain barely held against one criminal huckster and moron (JD Hayworth) and one lunatic (Kelli Ward), so you tell me. 

But McCain is too conservative to ever actually make the party switch.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2016, 04:08:03 PM »

McCain barely held against one criminal huckster and moron (JD Hayworth) and one lunatic (Kelli Ward), so you tell me. 

except he beat them both down handily.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2016, 08:36:05 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2016, 08:44:18 PM by Maxwell »

except he beat them both down handily.

by Republican primary standards? not that handily. Especially for how awful both Hayworth and Ward are. Honestly Hayworth and Ward are the kind of people who should get single digits in a primary.

I have to give McCain credit though - his ads against Hayworth are hilarious.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2016, 10:54:29 PM »

I saw Susan Collins speak today. She seems to be distancing herself from Trump, but LOVES the attention as the queen of Moderates. Pretty unlikely she'll switch.
I no longer think she will switch. Collins is popular with Maine Republicans.
rob in cal
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2016, 01:38:35 AM »

If anyone left their party I'd like to see someone just become independent, or set up some little stand alone caucus like in the New York State Senate.  I'm tired of the either or binary choice of our politics. If anyone is politically courageous enough to leave their party, why not complete the progression and do what a true maverick would do and not be part of either party.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2016, 10:12:21 PM »

If anyone left their party I'd like to see someone just become independent, or set up some little stand alone caucus like in the New York State Senate.  I'm tired of the either or binary choice of our politics. If anyone is politically courageous enough to leave their party, why not complete the progression and do what a true maverick would do and not be part of either party.
It is a good idea to be a crossbencher.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2016, 03:02:48 AM »

If Arizona wanted a moderate dem senator, they would have elected Kirkpatrick. McCain is not a Democrat in any sense of the word and everyone knows that.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2016, 03:37:38 AM »
« Edited: December 19, 2016, 03:22:50 PM by ERM64man »

If Arizona wanted a moderate dem senator, they would have elected Kirkpatrick. McCain is not a Democrat in any sense of the word and everyone knows that.
A fair amount of moderate Democrats voted for McCain.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2016, 03:23:45 PM »

But is Kirkpatrick a pro-life pro gun Democrat (which do exist)? A fair amount of Hispanic voters and moderate Democrats voted for McCain.

Pro-gun, views the national debt as an objectively bad thing, worked with Paul Gosar on a lot of local issues.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2016, 04:40:52 PM »

I don't really understand why any of the current Republican Senators would switch. The majority of switches in the past generation seem to born more from political expediency and less from some untenable divergence of ideology/policy positions. Considering Democrats are probably not going to have any kind of Senate majority until at least 2020 or 2022, it just doesn't make sense to me.
This is almost right. Most politicians who switch parties did so out of the combination of political expediency and ideological differences. It is not either/or.
I can see Trump causing a lot of division in the GOP in the next four years, but I can't see that resulting in anybody choosing to switch from Republican to Democrat.
Susan Collins is enormously popular with the voters of her state and I don't think her party label would matter one way or the other in terms of her re-election, so there would not be any expedient need to switch.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2016, 06:07:29 PM »

I don't really understand why any of the current Republican Senators would switch. The majority of switches in the past generation seem to born more from political expediency and less from some untenable divergence of ideology/policy positions. Considering Democrats are probably not going to have any kind of Senate majority until at least 2020 or 2022, it just doesn't make sense to me.
This is almost right. Most politicians who switch parties did so out of the combination of political expediency and ideological differences. It is not either/or.
I can see Trump causing a lot of division in the GOP in the next four years, but I can't see that resulting in anybody choosing to switch from Republican to Democrat.
Susan Collins is enormously popular with the voters of her state and I don't think her party label would matter one way or the other in terms of her re-election, so there would not be any expedient need to switch.
Collins is popular with the ME GOP base. McCain isn't popular with the GOP base in Arizona. McCain will retire in 2022. McCain won Kirkpatrick's district in 2016. Senators do sometimes switch when it doesn't flip Senate control. When Arlen Specter became a Democrat, it didn't flip the Senate.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies