Which GOP Senators are likely to become Blue Dog Democrats?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:31:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Which GOP Senators are likely to become Blue Dog Democrats?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which of these Senators are the most likely to switch to the Democratic Party?
Dean Heller

Lisa Murkowski

John McCain

Rob Portman

Susan Collins

John Hoeven

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which GOP Senators are likely to become Blue Dog Democrats?  (Read 3342 times)
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 25, 2016, 05:47:48 PM »

Which of these US Senators are the most likely to become conservative Democrats who want the ACA repealed?
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 06:18:18 PM »

None of them. Joe Manchin might become a republican though.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 06:21:34 PM »

Doubt it. He's on DEM leadership team now IIRC
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 06:23:22 PM »
« Edited: November 25, 2016, 06:29:44 PM by ERM64man »

Manchin will likely remain a conservative Democrat. Manchin opposes Paul Ryan's Medicare and Social Security privatization plans. Manchin also opposes school vouchers. Hoeven was a conservative Democrat in the 1990s. McCain and Heller are no fans of Trump.
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 08:41:33 PM »

I believe he has already said he's sticking with the Democrats
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 08:44:22 PM »

I picked McCain, Collins, and Hoeven (who was a Democrat from 1996 to 1998).
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 09:20:19 PM »

Only Collins I can see switching (not that she's even conservative on too many issues). Anyway, this trolling about party switching needs to stop.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 09:43:36 PM »

Susan Collins has gotten more conservative since starting her tenure as a Senator, not less.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2016, 09:49:08 PM »

Collins is conservative enough for me. She will stay a republican, imo.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2016, 09:56:46 PM »

I am interested on seeing if any GOP senators will switch parties because of disagreements with Trump based on platform. I wonder how the GOP civil war will turn out and what the eventual seventh party system will look like.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 11:33:02 AM »

Portman??? Really?Huh?

Haha. No.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 11:45:39 AM »

I am interested on seeing if any GOP senators will switch parties because of disagreements with Trump based on platform. I wonder how the GOP civil war will turn out and what the eventual seventh party system will look like.

GOP Senators who are concerned with others' intolerance in the party seem content with knowing that they're not "those" types of Republicans themselves; outside of Atlas, normal people don't associate you with every other member of your party just because you're in that party.  It encompasses millions of different types of people who are there for different reasons.

If we're strictly talking ideology (which intolerance has nothing to do with), the issues that Republicans would be frustrated with Trump on (his tacking to the left on economic issues, mostly), the Democrats are LITERALLY openly helping him on and way further left than he is.  "Moderate" but fiscally conservative Republicans who dislike Trump are just going to have to suck it up until he's gone, because the Democrats are even worse.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 12:02:44 PM »

I don't really understand why any of the current Republican Senators would switch. The majority of switches in the past generation seem to born more from political expediency and less from some untenable divergence of ideology/policy positions. Considering Democrats are probably not going to have any kind of Senate majority until at least 2020 or 2022, it just doesn't make sense to me.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2016, 03:30:46 PM »

I don't really understand why any of the current Republican Senators would switch. The majority of switches in the past generation seem to born more from political expediency and less from some untenable divergence of ideology/policy positions. Considering Democrats are probably not going to have any kind of Senate majority until at least 2020 or 2022, it just doesn't make sense to me.

If a few anti-Trump Republicans switch, that would give Democrats a majority in 2017.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 05:32:04 PM »

If a few anti-Trump Republicans switch, that would give Democrats a majority in 2017.

I think you are missing my point though. With the GOP at the peak of national+state power since the 1920s, there is no reason for anyone to switch. None of those states are dramatically trending away from Republicans. Collins has no good reason to leave, at least right now. Heller is the only remotely possible candidate for this imo, and just because they are vulnerable in a midterm that probably won't favor them doesn't mean they'll just go switching parties. They could easily get tossed in the primary in that case. It's a silly idea right now.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2016, 05:40:28 PM »

NOTA
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2016, 05:41:37 PM »

Switching parties as a Senator is pretty much political suicide these days.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2016, 05:47:31 PM »

I think you are missing my point though. With the GOP at the peak of national+state power since the 1920s, there is no reason for anyone to switch. None of those states are dramatically trending away from Republicans. Collins has no good reason to leave, at least right now. Heller is the only remotely possible candidate for this imo, and just because they are vulnerable in a midterm that probably won't favor them doesn't mean they'll just go switching parties. They could easily get tossed in the primary in that case. It's a silly idea right now.
McCain, Portman, Collins, and Heller don't like Trumpism. What if they feel Trumpism is taking over the party? Why wouldn't they switch to distance themselves from Trump? If they switch, they would become DINOs. They would still effectively be Republicans in practice.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2016, 06:26:11 PM »

McCain, Portman, Collins, and Heller don't like Trumpism. What if they feel Trumpism is taking over the party? Why wouldn't they switch to distance themselves from Trump? If they switch, they would become DINOs. They would still effectively be Republicans in practice.

Lol dude, you're missing the point. All of them are popular with the primary electorate of their states (except for McCain, but he won still, and this is probably his last term anyway) They'd all be DOA if they switched in our current political climate. Its not happening barring a worst case Trump presidency.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2016, 06:28:32 PM »

Its not happening barring a worst case Trump presidency.

A Trump presidency is by definition a worst case Trump presidency.
hopper
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2016, 06:38:11 PM »

None.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2016, 08:13:34 PM »

Lol dude, you're missing the point. All of them are popular with the primary electorate of their states (except for McCain, but he won still, and this is probably his last term anyway) They'd all be DOA if they switched in our current political climate. Its not happening barring a worst case Trump presidency.
McCain can afford to switch. He will not run in 2022.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2016, 11:17:58 AM »

Anyone of these would be equally plausible as a Manchin party switch.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2016, 05:21:32 PM »

Out of these Susan Collins, but she won't, especially after her state almost selected Trump to be the next president.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2016, 04:36:14 PM »

This is McCain's last term before retiring. He can afford to become a DINO. Do you think he will?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies