BREAKING: Wisconsin to recount presidential votes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:05:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  BREAKING: Wisconsin to recount presidential votes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: BREAKING: Wisconsin to recount presidential votes  (Read 2270 times)
boske94
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 25, 2016, 06:20:13 PM »

Wisconsin will undertake a recount of its presidential election votes after two requests from third-party candidates.

Green Party nominee Jill Stein filed her request just before the deadline Friday afternoon, the Wisconsin Elections Commission announced. Reform Party candidate Rocky De La Fuente also filed for a recount.

The Wisconsin Elections Commission said it is working under a Dec. 13 deadline to finish the recount.

"We have assembled an internal team to direct the recount, we have been in close consultation with our county clerk partners, and have arranged for legal representation by the Wisconsin Department of Justice,” Michael Haas, the commission's administrator, said in a statement.

“Wisconsin has the most decentralized election system in the United States,” he said. “The system has strong local control coupled with state oversight, resting on the partnership between the Wisconsin Elections Commission, the 72 county clerks, and the 1,854 municipal clerks.

"State law clearly gives each county’s Board of Canvassers the primary authority to conduct the recount, and to decide which ballots should and should not be counted," he added. "Recounting votes is an open, transparent process in which each of the candidates may have representatives present to raise objections, and where the public may be present to observe.” 

thehill.com/homenews/campaign/307535-green-partys-jill-stein-files-for-recount-in-wisconsin
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 06:22:34 PM »

Even if she wins Michigan and Wisconsin, it won't make a difference. She's not going to win PA or FL.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 06:26:03 PM »

True, but if there was hacking or manipulation of the results in any way, that needs to be exposed, even if it doesn't change the outcome.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 06:45:23 PM »

Welp, there does Wisconsin.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 06:50:27 PM »

If the recount happens, what the hell happens with those provisional ballots, which we know are VERY subjective, have been a bane to the GOP for years now, and which we know can easily be used to move a race one way or another? WI has been one of those states where the GOP has learned to DESPISE provisional ballots (see Bush/Kerry '04 as a good example).
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 07:32:37 PM »

if the recount is changing even a few hundred votes i would - frankly - be shocked.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 08:22:20 PM »

A lot of people seem to forget the WA State 2004 gubernatiorial race between Rossi/Gregoire.  He led after Election Night and two recounts. Then, somehow "votes appeared" and she won. This is why people don't like recounts.  The INTEGRITY is always in question.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 08:52:53 PM »

A lot of people seem to forget the WA State 2004 gubernatiorial race between Rossi/Gregoire.  He led after Election Night and two recounts. Then, somehow "votes appeared" and she won. This is why people don't like recounts.  The INTEGRITY is always in question.

that must have been a hell of a close race to start with.

one of the few upsides of the EC....a national recount in the US would be a hell of a trip.
cwt

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2016, 11:29:37 PM »

I mean, isn't that why we do recounts?

If the election isn't close, then it doesn't really matter if a few ballots get misplaced or rejected for some reason. The 2004 WA gubernatorial race was extremely close (Rossi won by only 42 votes after the automatic recount). After the recount, "votes appeared" for both candidates (748 new votes for Rossi and 919 for Gregoire).
FairBol
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2016, 11:33:36 PM »

Seriously? The national Democratic Party needs to put an end to this sh**t. 

If there was hacking or manipulation of the results in any way, that needs to be exposed, even if it doesn't change the outcome.

This is freakin' ridiculous.  There was no vote manipulation, and absolutely NO hacking.  As I have already said, the result was not close.  TRUMP WON....GET THE HELL OVER IT!! SMH.  Sad
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 11:39:05 PM »

Jill Stein continues to be my favorite of the 2016 major candidates. Thank you for your service! Very grateful I heeded her advice to vote for the lesser of two evils.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 12:28:21 AM »

Seriously? The national Democratic Party needs to put an end to this sh**t. 

If there was hacking or manipulation of the results in any way, that needs to be exposed, even if it doesn't change the outcome.

This is freakin' ridiculous.  There was no vote manipulation, and absolutely NO hacking.  As I have already said, the result was not close.  TRUMP WON....GET THE HELL OVER IT!! SMH.  Sad
Well, 25K votes or so is pretty damn close.  I hope that the recount doesn't alter the margin, or heaven forbid, switch WI back to her as it would create enormous questions about integrity to the whole process, and again recounts (see my comment concerning WA Gov - 2004).  That being said, why isn't NH going to be recounted? Why not MN as well? That's the hypocrisy that pisses me off, and this comes from a Johnson voter.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 12:33:38 AM »

To those on the Looney Left who didn't get the memo:

You lost.

Get over it.

Recounts will not change the results.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2016, 12:43:01 AM »

The Green Party is nuts.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 12:48:40 AM »

It is much easier to flip a margin of a few hundred votes than one of 27k votes. Unless she has some reason to believe that something is seriously wrong in Wisconsin than she's wasting her time and money.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2016, 12:50:49 AM »

It is much easier to flip a margin of a few hundred votes than one of 27k votes. Unless she has some reason to believe that something is seriously wrong in Wisconsin than she's wasting her time and money.

Or, more accurately, other people's money.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2016, 12:53:50 AM »

See my comment/question about those provisional ballots, which have screwed Republicans time and time again.  Even taken in OH, Trump lost more than 20K to his lead because of them.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2016, 01:07:58 AM »

See my comment/question about those provisional ballots, which have screwed Republicans time and time again.  Even taken in OH, Trump lost more than 20K to his lead because of them.

In what sense are provisional ballots "very subjective"?  Provisional ballot laws vary state-by-state, but they usually have fairly clear-cut rules about when they're counted.  I'm no expert, but the loosest provisional ballot laws I know involve looking up to see if a voter in the poll book is registered (i.e., at another precinct).  There's some subjectivity there, but not a ton.  Wisconsin's seems to be even more cut-and-dry, requiring the voters provide ID to poll workers or in-person by the Friday after the election.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2016, 04:20:35 AM »

When Scott Walker is winning a third term by crushing his opponent in fundraising, I'm going to bump this thread.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2016, 04:58:28 AM »

maybe if republicans stopped purging legitimate voters from the rolls, we wouldn't need provisional ballots ㄟ(ツ)ㄏ
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2016, 04:59:27 AM »

maybe if republicans stopped purging legitimate voters from the rolls, we wouldn't need provisional ballots ㄟ(ツ)ㄏ

that's not how provisional ballots work in Wisconsin, but glad to know you didn't read the thread (shocker)
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2016, 05:00:55 AM »

was referring to sg's comment about ohio. phone doesn't like quotes
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2016, 05:02:52 AM »

was referring to sg's comment about ohio. phone doesn't like quotes

fair, sorry, this delusional recount bullsh**t is just making me testy.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2016, 09:22:08 AM »

Purging voters is hard to get right. Some states may be too tight, but it's also easy to be too loose.

In IL it is very hard to remove a voter from the rolls. For instance, when I voted at 10 am on election day I was surprised to see both of my children in the voter book. My daughter changed her registration to MA for the primaries, but she was still in the book since MA doesn't share those changes with IL. It used to be that local voter registrars could take an affidavit and report those changes such as families that moved and people who died out of their home county The voter rolls were fairly accurate from that process, but that law was removed about a dozen years ago. Now the election authority has to send out a post card to someone they think isn't living at an address, but that can only take place after a voter misses three cycles. So my daughter will probably be on the voter rolls for up to a decade in IL even as she is registered in MA.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2016, 09:25:22 AM »

Purging voters is hard to get right. Some states may be too tight, but it's also easy to be too loose.

In IL it is very hard to remove a voter from the rolls. For instance, when I voted at 10 am on election day I was surprised to see both of my children in the voter book. My daughter changed her registration to MA for the primaries, but she was still in the book since MA doesn't share those changes with IL. It used to be that local voter registrars could take an affidavit and report those changes such as families that moved and people who died out of their home county The voter rolls were fairly accurate from that process, but that law was removed about a dozen years ago. Now the election authority has to send out a post card to someone they think isn't living at an address, but that can only take place after a voter misses three cycles. So my daughter will probably be on the voter rolls for up to a decade in IL even as she is registered in MA.

Does that really present a problem, beyond inaccurate voter turnout statistics?  I think the best solution here is to have states allow for disclosure of prior registrations when people newly register, and then inform the previous jurisdiction.  But what's the problem with being "too loose" with purges?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies