Fidel Castro dead at 90
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:39:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Fidel Castro dead at 90
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Fidel Castro dead at 90  (Read 3425 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2016, 10:20:29 AM »

The pussygrabber obviously doesn't want to cause any more controversies, so from here on in, he's only making statements who are COMPLETELY NEUTRAL.

"Fidel Castro was a man of many facets... on one hand, he served as president of Cuba for a long time, on the other hand he also served as leader of the Communist Party for a very long time."
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2016, 10:46:35 AM »

I've gotta say, awful as he was, nobody can survive that many assassination attempts without at least a tiny bit of badass.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2016, 11:23:50 AM »

So who takes over when Raul dies?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2016, 11:25:35 AM »

Also, shout out to the folks who cheered Margaret Thatcher's death and will spend the day crafting nuanced appraisals of Castro's rule.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2016, 11:50:19 AM »

Good riddance!! Finally!

But it's kinda of ironic that he died on black Friday.
vileplume
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2016, 12:13:34 PM »

To the surprise of absolutely nobody the 'delightful' Jeremy Corbyn is fawning all over this monster:

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/jeremy-corbyn-praises-heroism-of-revolutionary-fidel-castro/ar-AAkMt3U?li=AAdeCd7&ocid=spartanntp

I really don't understand anyone who can possibly think Corbyn is an electoral asset and I hope the people who voted for him can finally see that the only people that Corbyn is good for is Theresa May and the Tories.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2016, 12:18:56 PM »

Had to share this.

Portuguese TV channel TVI, went to the village of Cuba in south Portugal to cover the death of Fidel Castro. Priceless!! Cheesy Cheesy Grin

Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2016, 01:15:18 PM »

How weasel-worded.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2016, 02:25:46 PM »

Neutral. He stood his ground on some issues, however he was too repressive and too oppressive to the Cuban people and it translated to his hatred in Florida, New York, New Jersey, and Texas. He did do some good things, raised the awareness of Nelson Mandela's imprisonment in South Africa, etc.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2016, 02:44:40 PM »

Reluctant Republican

« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2016, 02:50:11 PM »

Did anyone see Justin Trudeau's statement?

I honestly had to look that up. I thought for sure it was a spoof of some sort.

And being the longest serving president is a bit easier when you don't really have to worry about running for re-election...
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2016, 03:10:49 PM »

An interesting piece of trivia is that my uncle once met Fidel Castro.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2016, 04:46:47 PM »

Neutral. He stood his ground on some issues, however he was too repressive and too oppressive to the Cuban people and it translated to his hatred in Florida, New York, New Jersey, and Texas. He did do some good things, raised the awareness of Nelson Mandela's imprisonment in South Africa, etc.

Agree with most of that, but the Cuban aristocracy would have hated him no matter what he did.
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2016, 05:57:52 PM »

Hasn't been mentioned yet but Castro also brought the world to the brink of Nuclear War in the 60s.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2016, 06:03:12 PM »

And being the longest serving president is a bit easier when you don't really have to worry about running for re-election...

There aren't a bunch of Cubans living in a critical swing area of the country, so Canada has no need to make Castro out to be a boogey man.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2016, 07:01:41 PM »
« Edited: November 26, 2016, 07:25:51 PM by ERM64man »

There aren't a bunch of Cubans living in a critical swing area of the country, so Canada has no need to make Castro out to be a boogey man.
Same is true in the US, except for some parts of the East Coast, especially Florida. Castro was no boogeyman, he was just an old dictator who was no threat after the Cold War. It was also a real honor that my uncle got to meet Castro.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2016, 08:06:37 PM »

Also, shout out to the folks who cheered Margaret Thatcher's death and will spend the day crafting nuanced appraisals of Castro's rule.

And shout out to the people, who cried with thatcher's death, and were very offended that one could wish a person to hell in damnation, doing the same to Castro.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2016, 08:13:12 PM »

Hasn't been mentioned yet but Castro also brought the world to the brink of Nuclear War in the 60s.
So did JFK. (and we had nuclear weapons in Turkey, and tried to topple Castro with the Bay of Pigs fiasco)
emcee0
Canada

« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2016, 10:05:25 PM »

To be completely honest this was not very eloquently stated, but was served to diplomaticaly highlight how Canada has maintained peaceful relationships with Cuba. PET in the wake of other nations trying to shut out and embargo relations with Cuba, Canada for decades tried to have influence Cuba and assisted with its developmet. In all honesty, Trudeau was trying to remain as diplomatic as possible in the sense that Obama was, but should have left out the personal touch about his father's relationship with him. Also while he was influential and held his own as a leader, calling him a remarkable leader is a bit of a farce. He should clarify his statement.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2016, 06:41:28 AM »

To be completely honest this was not very eloquently stated, but was served to diplomaticaly highlight how Canada has maintained peaceful relationships with Cuba. PET in the wake of other nations trying to shut out and embargo relations with Cuba, Canada for decades tried to have influence Cuba and assisted with its developmet. In all honesty, Trudeau was trying to remain as diplomatic as possible in the sense that Obama was, but should have left out the personal touch about his father's relationship with him. Also while he was influential and held his own as a leader, calling him a remarkable leader is a bit of a farce. He should clarify his statement.

"If one looks at it in a particular way, Adolf Hitler was the most noted painter and autobiographer of the 20th century" #Trudeulogies.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2016, 07:23:40 AM »

Yeah, this was bizarre. This really worsens my opinion of Trudeau.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2016, 09:14:31 AM »

Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2016, 09:26:03 AM »

His words ring true.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2016, 09:35:05 AM »

This is really odd, given Castro's history of well, being a dictator. Even the forum's Pinochet and Chavez apologists aren't so brazen.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2016, 12:44:11 PM »

I think even if one rightly thinks the Cuban expats in SoFlo are largely terrible far-right bores, one should not diminish his crimes. Pointing to education and healthful seems fine at first glance, but as we would mock a "trains ran on time" defense of a rightist, we should equally disdain such arguments defending leftost leaders. Castro's regime may have been relatively banal in terms of criminal acts (I can name ten far worse contemporaneous LAtin American regimes without breaking a sweat) but still did, y;know, dictatorial stuff.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies