Fidel Castro dead at 90
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:25:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Fidel Castro dead at 90
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Fidel Castro dead at 90  (Read 3459 times)
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2016, 06:14:19 PM »

[img width=760 height=639]http://www.snopes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/fidel-

That quote is apochryphal, and it may only be a few years old (and a cuban joke)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2016, 07:53:54 PM »

I think even if one rightly thinks the Cuban expats in SoFlo are largely terrible far-right bores, one should not diminish his crimes. Pointing to education and healthful seems fine at first glance, but as we would mock a "trains ran on time" defense of a rightist, we should equally disdain such arguments defending leftost leaders. Castro's regime may have been relatively banal in terms of criminal acts (I can name ten far worse contemporaneous LAtin American regimes without breaking a sweat) but still did, y;know, dictatorial stuff.

This is exactly right. There's no point in acting as if he was One Of History's Greatest Monsters but pretending that he was Nice Guy FF Smiley is not exactly... either.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2016, 07:54:27 PM »

And I'm gonna be the prick to point this out: there's a delicious irony in people taking to the internet to defend Castro!
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2016, 01:16:54 AM »

Also, shout out to the folks who cheered Margaret Thatcher's death and will spend the day crafting nuanced appraisals of Castro's rule.

And shout out to the people, who cried with thatcher's death, and were very offended that one could wish a person to hell in damnation, doing the same to Castro.

You know Trump's tweet stating the simple fact that "Fidel Castro is dead!"? This is kind of like that:

You know, they are comparable besides the fact that Margaret Thatcher was not a dictator nor did she send people to re-education camps. Nor did she withhold elections, create an authoritarian state, or ever threaten, imprison, or kill anyone because of political disagreements.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2016, 10:37:30 AM »

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2016, 02:43:14 PM »

I worry about U.S./Cuba relations in an era of Trump.  I want the two nations to get along with normalized relations so that people separated from their families can be together.

KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2016, 04:33:52 PM »

The pussygrabber obviously doesn't want to cause any more controversies, so from here on in, he's only making statements who are COMPLETELY NEUTRAL.

"Fidel Castro was a man of many facets... on one hand, he served as president of Cuba for a long time, on the other hand he also served as leader of the Communist Party for a very long time."

Like Aron Swanson, a speech only of facts... "It is true... that you have won this award."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies