a thread for ranting about minor annoyances
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:11:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  a thread for ranting about minor annoyances
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: a thread for ranting about minor annoyances  (Read 5945 times)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2016, 09:28:41 AM »

My other gym annoyance is people who try to keep all of the free weights that they ever need near them rather than putting them back when they are done.  Like at my gym back home there's only one set of every weight out and there's always someone who's hogging all of them and it's always the guy who'll try and steal the set you're using when you're having a rest between reps.  Gym arseholes are the worst
In the same category: people who do three exercises at once and need all the weights etc. for all of them, all the time. Also people who don't put their weights back.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2016, 11:03:21 AM »

I can't stand annoying movie watchers, but I admit, sometimes I'm an annoying movie watcher.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2016, 11:08:03 AM »

Absolute smallest rant ever but people who only eat a really limited range of food and refuse to branch outwards. It's like do you really just want to be eating chips and fish fingers for the rest of your life
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2016, 11:43:50 AM »

Absolute smallest rant ever but people who only eat a really limited range of food and refuse to branch outwards. It's like do you really just want to be eating chips and fish fingers for the rest of your life
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2016, 02:18:55 PM »

Yes.

My neighbor across the street smokes all the time, that annoys me
Why?'

My other rant is hoodies. I hate hoodies. I hate how Florida kids wear them in 80+ degree weather. I hated how in High School kids would wear hoodies every single day just to cover up the uniform polo because the (pardon the South Park goth kid quote) "conformists" apparently want to display a sense of individuality that I found to be profoundly ironic.

"I want to wear my own clothes, not the uniform, therefore I'll put on a hoodie like literally everyone else." Never made sense to me.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2016, 07:35:01 PM »

The quest for individuality is the source of most conformism, Sanchez. Well, that, and social signaling (they tend to work in tandem).
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2016, 12:48:33 AM »

I get really annoyed when people sit in their parked cars for whatever reason and keep their cars idling. Geez, just turn the damn thing off while you sit there for 20 minutes. Guys in work trucks especially do this....I guess it's not their gas.

And people who talk on their cell phones while in line at the store. They don't even stop talking on the phone when the clerk is waiting on them. How RUDE!
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2016, 08:31:35 PM »
« Edited: December 22, 2016, 09:07:51 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

People who sing "five golden rings" instead of "five gold rings" should probably just stop existing. I'd rather be wished a Happy Holidays. That's not how the song goes.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2016, 03:24:04 AM »

People who sing "five golden rings" instead of "five gold rings" should probably just stop existing. I'd rather be wished a Happy Holidays. That's not how the song goes.
Do you also insist on the original order of the final four gifts?
"The twelfth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me,
 Twelve lords a-leaping
 Eleven ladies dancing
 Ten pipers piping
 Nine drummers drumming
 Eight maids a-milking
 Seven swans a-swimming
 Six geese a-laying
 Five gold rings
 Four colly birds
 Three French hens
 Two turtledoves
 And a partridge in a pear tree."
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2016, 03:37:01 AM »

Y'know what's worse?  People who sing those obnoxious Christmas carols in the first place.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2016, 04:25:23 AM »

When you go to a Petrol Station or Supermarket with say, 6 bowsers or checkout isles respectively.

When you arrive, the queue for each is 7 long, so you wait 25 minutes.

Then when you get to the front of the line, there is no one behind you.

Then you think "Why did I not just came 25 minutes later and avoid the queue's"

And Australian bottleshops the night before Christmas. Like an MMA cage fight in the car park trying to get in.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2016, 09:22:34 AM »
« Edited: December 24, 2016, 09:24:05 AM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

Ernest - I like it, but I don't get overtly angry when people differ because there have been many other orders in existence for centuries as well.

Scott - it's tradition. I wouldn't dream of doing any differently than doing it off a piece of paper printed in 1992.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2016, 02:38:14 AM »

I HATE POP MUSIC.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2016, 02:42:52 AM »

People who chew with their mouths make me irrationally angry. If you so this, PLEASE STOP.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2016, 09:14:04 AM »

People who chew with their mouths make me irrationally angry. If you so this, PLEASE STOP.
Yeah people, chew with your ears like God intended!
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2016, 09:26:24 AM »

People who don't put two line breaks before responding to a quote on Atlas.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2016, 10:27:33 AM »

The quest for individuality is the source of most conformism, Sanchez. Well, that, and social signaling (they tend to work in tandem).

Twas ever thus
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2016, 01:50:38 PM »

Yeah people, chew with your ears like God intended!

This guy gets it.

Mouth chewing is unnatural and a sin.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2016, 02:02:06 PM »

People who only reach 60-70 km/hr before merging onto a 110 km/hr highway, Let's not put yourself, people on the highway, and the half dozen cars behind you in danger please and thank you.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2016, 06:44:52 PM »

People who show up to the movies right before or even after it starts.  Then when they ask if you can move so they can fit themselves and their screaming 4 year old into the seats directly next to you at the 10pm showing of a rated R film even though there are plenty of open seats in front...WHICH IS WHERE YOU DESERVE TO SIT FOR SHOWING UP LATE.

Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2016, 10:02:53 PM »

People who show up to the movies right before or even after it starts.  Then when they ask if you can move so they can fit themselves and their screaming 4 year old into the seats directly next to you at the 10pm showing of a rated R film even though there are plenty of open seats in front...WHICH IS WHERE YOU DESERVE TO SIT FOR SHOWING UP LATE.

That's an oddly specific minor annoyance.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2016, 10:10:40 PM »

People who don't put two line breaks before responding to a quote on Atlas.
I know right? That's the worst.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2016, 10:12:51 PM »

That's an oddly specific minor annoyance.

specific, but not oddly so.  Minor annoyances generally are specific.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2017, 03:17:18 AM »

These are Atlas-centered:

1. People who regularly confuse the words 'seceded' with 'succeeded'.  How I do not know -they don't even sound similar. 

2. People who use the word 'irregardless'.  Think about the word -what does it even mean?  Hint: it is not synonymous with the one you intended to use.   

3. People who either don't use paragraphs in their posts (thus creating towering walls of text that no one reads), or don't seem to know when to use them. 

4. Empty-quoting. 

SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2017, 04:07:32 AM »
« Edited: January 02, 2017, 04:10:12 AM by SunriseAroundTheWorld »

I probably won't have many people agree with me on this. Ok. So, at Catholic mass, I can't stand the whole thing about the cantor lifting his/her arm up during the psalms and some other songs telling the people in the pews to sing. For the most part, everyone there has been to hundreds of masses, maybe every week, and they know how this works. Also, it's not that hard to follow and catch on. Everyone knows to sing during the refrain and not during the verses. IMO, this has to do with cantors and musicians who #1 think they are such geniuses that they are the only ones who know how it works and they need to constantly lead us, and #2 have such big egos that they love that feeling of controlling what a room of hundreds of people are doing.

Additionally, it bugs me when, even though the hymn numbers are posted, the cantor feels the need to say "please join us for our closing hymn....number 745. That's number SEVEN FOUR FIVE." The mass has such a beautiful flow to it, and after the blessing I don't want to hear somebody come on and say that. You didn't have to say it for the offertory or communion hymn, and people figured it out. Once again, it's people who like hearing themselves talk and be the center of attention.

Haha, you'd hate an Jewish service then! At my synagogue we do this all the time when we read prayers for holidays. Every page gets said, enunciated out, and has a placard on the wall so people can see when we change pages. This doesn't bother me, though. I'm used too it already.

There is still always someone who doesn't fail to ask "wait, what page are we on?"

Some things that bother me, in regards to services or religious gatherings:

1) Orthodox Jewish services also ask men and women to sit separate and there's usually a curtain or small wedge in between and there's always that one guy or girl who either 1) accidentally sits on the wrong side and awkwardly gets up in the middle of the service to switch seats.  or 2) purposely tries to sit on the wrong side because "muh progressive judaism, muh feminism, muh ego."

Like, yes, Reform, Reconstructionist and Conservative Judaism are more progressive and have mixed seating and as a supporter of Jewish pluralism, I'm fine with it in their congregations. So why can't the more progressive Jews respect the rules of Orthodox and Modern Orthodox seating arrangements? Pluralism is a two-way street. "Tikkun Olam" Judaism seems to forget this.

2) That Reform, Conservative and some Modern Orthodox synagogues and temples make you pay membership fees (!!!). I will never understand this. It is 100% opposite of a Jewish value to force someone to leave a holiday or shabbat service if they don't have money to pay a fee. Not to mention you aren't suppose to take, give or carry money on shabbat or high holidays.

Like, you should donate to your congregation via tzedakah (charity) or through some sort of community service, but you should not be forced or obligated to do so.

3) Going off this, there are a lot of  synagogues of all denominations that arrange seating by who donates the most. I think this is disgusting and also goes against Jewish values.

I heard a story from a friend who goes to Ben Cardin's synagogue about how Cardin attends every service that he is available to attend. He always donates and always says Hi and talks with every congregant. It's part of why I like him. I've heard so many stories about his generosity and communal kinship. I think in that case, if a person is always there and is a consistent supporter via tzedakah  and is a beloved member of the community then its ok to give them some seat preference.

But not if some rich a-hole shows up once a year and buys his way to a good seat.

4) People who became religious and now think they are better then you. Like, f**k off. I usually notice this in the more traditional congregations but definitely not only limited to them. How can one fully embrace their Jewish identity and heritage if others in the community are constantly chastising you for your level of religiosity (or irreligiosity)?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies