a thread for ranting about minor annoyances (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:23:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  a thread for ranting about minor annoyances (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: a thread for ranting about minor annoyances  (Read 6190 times)
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« on: January 02, 2017, 04:07:32 AM »
« edited: January 02, 2017, 04:10:12 AM by SunriseAroundTheWorld »

I probably won't have many people agree with me on this. Ok. So, at Catholic mass, I can't stand the whole thing about the cantor lifting his/her arm up during the psalms and some other songs telling the people in the pews to sing. For the most part, everyone there has been to hundreds of masses, maybe every week, and they know how this works. Also, it's not that hard to follow and catch on. Everyone knows to sing during the refrain and not during the verses. IMO, this has to do with cantors and musicians who #1 think they are such geniuses that they are the only ones who know how it works and they need to constantly lead us, and #2 have such big egos that they love that feeling of controlling what a room of hundreds of people are doing.

Additionally, it bugs me when, even though the hymn numbers are posted, the cantor feels the need to say "please join us for our closing hymn....number 745. That's number SEVEN FOUR FIVE." The mass has such a beautiful flow to it, and after the blessing I don't want to hear somebody come on and say that. You didn't have to say it for the offertory or communion hymn, and people figured it out. Once again, it's people who like hearing themselves talk and be the center of attention.

Haha, you'd hate an Jewish service then! At my synagogue we do this all the time when we read prayers for holidays. Every page gets said, enunciated out, and has a placard on the wall so people can see when we change pages. This doesn't bother me, though. I'm used too it already.

There is still always someone who doesn't fail to ask "wait, what page are we on?"

Some things that bother me, in regards to services or religious gatherings:

1) Orthodox Jewish services also ask men and women to sit separate and there's usually a curtain or small wedge in between and there's always that one guy or girl who either 1) accidentally sits on the wrong side and awkwardly gets up in the middle of the service to switch seats.  or 2) purposely tries to sit on the wrong side because "muh progressive judaism, muh feminism, muh ego."

Like, yes, Reform, Reconstructionist and Conservative Judaism are more progressive and have mixed seating and as a supporter of Jewish pluralism, I'm fine with it in their congregations. So why can't the more progressive Jews respect the rules of Orthodox and Modern Orthodox seating arrangements? Pluralism is a two-way street. "Tikkun Olam" Judaism seems to forget this.

2) That Reform, Conservative and some Modern Orthodox synagogues and temples make you pay membership fees (!!!). I will never understand this. It is 100% opposite of a Jewish value to force someone to leave a holiday or shabbat service if they don't have money to pay a fee. Not to mention you aren't suppose to take, give or carry money on shabbat or high holidays.

Like, you should donate to your congregation via tzedakah (charity) or through some sort of community service, but you should not be forced or obligated to do so.

3) Going off this, there are a lot of  synagogues of all denominations that arrange seating by who donates the most. I think this is disgusting and also goes against Jewish values.

I heard a story from a friend who goes to Ben Cardin's synagogue about how Cardin attends every service that he is available to attend. He always donates and always says Hi and talks with every congregant. It's part of why I like him. I've heard so many stories about his generosity and communal kinship. I think in that case, if a person is always there and is a consistent supporter via tzedakah  and is a beloved member of the community then its ok to give them some seat preference.

But not if some rich a-hole shows up once a year and buys his way to a good seat.

4) People who became religious and now think they are better then you. Like, f**k off. I usually notice this in the more traditional congregations but definitely not only limited to them. How can one fully embrace their Jewish identity and heritage if others in the community are constantly chastising you for your level of religiosity (or irreligiosity)?

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies