Clinton Campaign Counsel: "We'll participate in recount"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:11:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton Campaign Counsel: "We'll participate in recount"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Clinton Campaign Counsel: "We'll participate in recount"  (Read 3269 times)
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2016, 03:46:47 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Is that all you've got? Go back to your "van down by the river" please.  LOL
you're trying so hard to look calm, and it's incredibly transparent. sorry.
Helsinkian
Finland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2016, 03:48:11 PM »

Trump is now repeating the "three million illegals voted" theory:

"In addition to winning the Electoral College in a landslide, I won the popular vote if you deduct the millions of people who voted illegally"
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/802972944532209664
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2016, 04:46:15 PM »

Uh, YES THEY DID.  The electoral vote count after election night stood at Trump 290, Clinton 232.  270 votes are needed to win election.  Recounts WILL NOT CHANGE the outcome of this race.  Getting sick and tired of saying it, but I'll do it again.....TRUMP WON!!! What part of that is so hard for you liberals to understand?? Geez.  :: sighs ::

What iBizzBee clearly meant is that a plurality of voters rejected Trump, just like they did initially with Bush in 2000, except this time the Republican was rejected by 2+ million people.

I don't understand why you're painting us with a broad brush, which is of course something many people have doing recently. I'm a liberal and I accept that Trump won under the current rules. However, I've always supported electing presidents by popular vote, before this election and I will continue so even more after. I don't believe anyone's vote should count more than another, regardless if they are from small rural states or large, high-pop. states. My view is that a president should have at least plurality support from the entire country.

I don't see the point in a recount, as it's highly unlikely to change anything.. but Stein initiated it, not Clinton/Democrats, so it's not our doing. However, while I don't see a point I also am not against it. Republicans really shouldn't even care, because in the end Trump is still likely to be president.

So while I accept the result in general, I also don't believe Trump/Republicans have any kind of mandate, especially for a number of their policies that are and have long been unpopular.
The fact that Trump defied the polls, not to mention the numerous vulnerable Senatorial candidates, alone gives the GOP a mandate.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2016, 04:50:58 PM »

It's not Florida 2000. Such challenges won't change the outcome of this election and Hillary seriously jumps at it, she'll only deepen a perception of her being power-obsessed in addition to becoming a sore loser.

Trump doesn't have a popular mandate. Trump won the election fair and square per existing rules. Those two are not mutually exclusive.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2016, 04:54:25 PM »
« Edited: November 27, 2016, 04:56:34 PM by Virginia »

The fact that Trump defied the polls, not to mention the numerous vulnerable Senatorial candidates, alone gives the GOP a mandate.

Because pollsters made incorrect predictions in numerous states means he has a mandate? What does have to do with anything but those pollsters own methodologies? And leading up to the election, there were numerous national polls that predicted the final national PV% (within MoE), so he didn't really defy those ones at least.

The polls exist to predict the final vote share. The numbers so far puts Clinton up over Trump by millions of votes. That's not a mandate for Trump. Period. You can't just move the goalposts around like that.
JJC

« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2016, 05:09:54 PM »

I'm fine with the Dem recount effort because;

1) It'll change nothing.
2) It'll waste dem resources on a futile effort.
3) In no way do I think dems will get any political points for doing this (which is the real reason they are pushing it). In fact, I believe it will hurt them.

The GOP response should be;
1) Continue to deride dems as hypocrites.
2) Trump should initiate his own recount in CA, NM, CO, and NV on the basis of evidence for illegals votes being counted. Also do a recount in NH since the difference was only 2,732 votes.
3) Continue to claim that Trump would have won the pop vote if not for illegals voting (regardless if true or not).
SirMuxALot

« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2016, 05:17:39 PM »

Strange.  My copy of the Constitution doesn't have this word mandate anywhere in it.

But then again, it also didn't have the phrase "pen and a phone" either.  So my copy could be out of date.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2016, 05:18:38 PM »
« Edited: November 27, 2016, 05:22:11 PM by Virginia »

3) Continue to claim that Trump would have won the pop vote if not for illegals voting (regardless if true or not).

Yes, let's continue delegitimizing our own elections by scapegoating a group of people based on complete speculation, all for PR purposes. This is the kind of awful behavior that has helped polarize the electorate, ruin public confidence in our institutions and degrade the legislative process over the past few decades.

Come on. No one can control what Stein/GP does but major parties can at least not go around spewing falsehoods for no real or at least worthwhile benefit. The Clinton campaign already said they do not believe there was any obvious malfeasance and that a recount won't change anything. Trump won the way the system was designed, and to do this all to justify an unsubstantiated claim he won the popular vote is sick.
JJC

« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2016, 06:16:32 PM »

This is the kind of awful behavior that has helped polarize the electorate, ruin public confidence in our institutions and degrade the legislative process over the past few decades.

Really? That's what polarizes us? Because I thought it was the insane identity politics, white-shaming, false victim-hood allegations, anti-male sentiments in college, and an industrial media/hollywood complex that derides whole swaths of the electorate as dumb, uneducated, racist hicks who only believe what they do because they cling to their guns and religion and read their 'fake news'.

After all, the MSM reminds us of this every. single. day.

But don't take my reply as disagreeing with your sentiments. You are 100% correct about how polarized our nation is. I just think that any left leaning individual complaining about it is the ultimate hypocrite.

Anyway, in the past 8 years I've been instantly dismissed by our nation's betters as a dumb white 'privileged' racist male by virtue my skin color and gender alone. These same people see my 'male-ness' and 'whiteness' and judge me to be inherently racist or sexist. (And privileged. hahaha. Me? privileged? OMG!).

Of course, none of that is polarizing at all, right?

But you know, I'm just really tired of the ridiculous race/gender pandering. I'm tired of the division it's causing. I'm tired of the false 'offenses' we have to apologize for. I'm tired of the 'news' telling me I'm racist and sexist for not agreeing with liberal policy positions. I'm tired of political correctness being used as a tool for silencing the opposition. I'm tired of being accused of waging a 'war on women' because I'm pro-life. (really, how much more polarizing can you get?). I'm tired of being called a racist because I want the border secured. I'm tired of being called backwards because I recognize that the ideology of globalism has led to a stagnant economy for two decades.

After years of this, I'm just not in the mode to suddenly 'get along' anymore.

You see, when the default liberal position is: 'anyone who does not agree with my worldview is evil/and or uneducated', it dashes any hopes of TRUE understanding and tolerance.

Tolerance: The ability or willingness to tolerate something, in particular the existence of opinions or behavior that one does not necessarily agree with.

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2016, 06:28:57 PM »

The "3 million illegals" talking point is funny, because Clinton is rapidly closing in on a 2.5 million-vote lead.

Trump got close to one-third of Latinos, so...even if Clinton won 90% of these "illegal voters", that'd only be a net gain of 2.4 million votes for Trump. I guess they better find another million or two to throw into the mix, LOL.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2016, 06:36:14 PM »
« Edited: November 27, 2016, 06:38:09 PM by 🆒 »

This is the kind of awful behavior that has helped polarize the electorate, ruin public confidence in our institutions and degrade the legislative process over the past few decades.

Really? That's what polarizes us? Because I thought it was the insane identity politics, white-shaming, false victim-hood allegations, anti-male sentiments in college, and an industrial media/hollywood complex that derides whole swaths of the electorate as dumb, uneducated, racist hicks who only believe what they do because they cling to their guns and religion and read their 'fake news'.

After all, the MSM reminds us of this every. single. day.

But don't take my reply as disagreeing with your sentiments. You are 100% correct about how polarized our nation is. I just think that any left leaning individual complaining about it is the ultimate hypocrite.

Anyway, in the past 8 years I've been instantly dismissed by our nation's betters as a dumb white 'privileged' racist male by virtue my skin color and gender alone. These same people see my 'male-ness' and 'whiteness' and judge me to be inherently racist or sexist. (And privileged. hahaha. Me? privileged? OMG!).

Of course, none of that is polarizing at all, right?

But you know, I'm just really tired of the ridiculous race/gender pandering. I'm tired of the division it's causing. I'm tired of the false 'offenses' we have to apologize for. I'm tired of the 'news' telling me I'm racist and sexist for not agreeing with liberal policy positions. I'm tired of political correctness being used as a tool for silencing the opposition. I'm tired of being accused of waging a 'war on women' because I'm pro-life. (really, how much more polarizing can you get?). I'm tired of being called a racist because I want the border secured. I'm tired of being called backwards because I recognize that the ideology of globalism has led to a stagnant economy for two decades.

You see, when the default liberal position is: 'anyone who does not agree with my worldview is evil/and or uneducated', it dashes any hopes of TRUE understanding and tolerance.

Tolerance: The ability or willingness to tolerate something, in particular the existence of opinions or behavior that one does not necessarily agree with.

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2016, 06:36:50 PM »
« Edited: November 27, 2016, 06:38:45 PM by Virginia »

Really? That's what polarizes us?

Actually, my thoughts on polarization include but are NOT limited to the idea that a profound degeneration of ethics, morals and principles in politics has helped encourage the public to continue supporting this no-holds-barred system we now have. Nothing is off limits anymore. Lie, cheat, steal, whatever it takes. Politicians do this long enough and encourage it, and the public comes to expect it. Part of this has included accusing the opposition party of all sorts of bogus crap, demonizing them to the point that voters think the worst of each party. This is where better morals and more principled behavior would have helped this country. Both parties have their own issues on this matter but conservatives have really just kept escalating and escalating until here we are, at Trump himself, the personification of this strategy. Meanwhile, people continue to call Democrats weak for not continuously responding in-kind.

Also, I said it has helped. Your response seems to be geared towards me explicitly blaming all of it on that, when I specifically said otherwise. First, I didn't expand on my theories of polarization because it alone was not relevant and would be too much text. Second, as I said before, I didn't attribute the cause of polarization entirely towards such shameless lying and propaganda peddling. I was clear on that.

So you didn't really need to write all that. Had you asked me for clarification, you'd see that wasn't my primary attribution.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2016, 06:39:34 PM »

I think you'll find this sentiment is true of anyone on the left/center-left regarding the post-9/11 right.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2016, 06:43:14 PM »

Obama, pls drone this thread.

Trump, pls deport this thread.

Well, if this thread is any indication, we're sure headed for a rosy, rainbow-filled four years.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2016, 07:43:26 PM »

I guess that means Trump is going to go after her after all with those investigations of her private e-mail server and open another one with regard to the Clinton Foundation, just out of vindictiveness. 

Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies