What would the Alt-Left be?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:11:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What would the Alt-Left be?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What would the Alt-Left be?  (Read 1996 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 26, 2016, 06:35:24 PM »

So, given the emergence of the Alt-right, I was considering what an equivalent alt-left would look like. Would it be economically-based and be a pseudo-communist movement with some major components of various communist movements, while denying that they are actually Marxists. Would it maybe be more racially based and take the form of BLM-on-steroids/Black Pantherism with a good level of support from coastal liberals and other minority groups? And is there any reason such a group seems to have yet to emerge on the same scale as the alt-right?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 06:40:06 PM »

actual hatred against whites/cishets/men/etc (and not just the strawpeople that are often thrown around by the right)?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 06:42:26 PM »

actual hatred against whites/cishets/men/etc (and not just the strawpeople that are often thrown around by the right)?

Pretty much this.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 06:47:49 PM »

Tumblr Feminism™
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 08:08:08 PM »

A lot of my Bernie Bros keep talking about how the "alt-left" would just be the Safe Space people or the PC    right-wing straw people made flesh-and-blood.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 08:22:53 PM »

Secessionists, the most virulent anti-Trumpists, the most extreme BLM movement members, and the most dedicated and extreme Bernie Bros all combined. They would never officially hold power for anyone, but they would probably have ties to someone like Ellison - ties quite a bit more direct than the alt-right tenuous claim on Trump, in that they compliment him and admire one of his staffers.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 12:10:12 AM »

If the alt-left actually existed, it could mean a number of things from Stalinists to Tumblr SJWs to Berniebros for Trump to people like me who just post on /leftypol/ occasionally and like memes.
Mervin
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 12:12:35 AM »

It is a full on embrace of vulgarity and truth.  There would have to be something disgustingly positivist about it.  I don't like the term.  They will call us that regardless.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 03:41:15 AM »

50-60% of the Atlas, pre-Nov. 8 ...
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 01:50:56 PM »

Normal left-wing, more memes.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2016, 05:32:12 PM »

This is what the alt-left would be like...

@Uncucktheleft

send the rich and the Democucks to the gulag!

@Uncucktheleft

im just kiding! im not reelly saying we should do that, u have no sens of humer!
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2016, 08:01:09 PM »

The alt-left are leftists who really admire authoritarian and racist thugs like Putin, and anyone who is generally "against America". We're seeing the "alt-left" praising Castro right now too
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2016, 08:14:39 PM »

The alt-left are leftists who really admire authoritarian and racist thugs like Putin, and anyone who is generally "against America". We're seeing the "alt-left" praising Castro right now too

i.e. d32123/Asian Nazi?
Arturo Belano

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.43

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2016, 09:11:35 PM »

"Alt-Left" is already a moniker used by several "anti-SJW" liberals on Facebook.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2016, 10:41:23 PM »

"Alt-Left" is already a moniker used by several "anti-SJW" liberals on Facebook.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2016, 08:01:26 AM »

If it's like the "alt-right", it would exist mainly in the mind of the "regular" right to be used as a boogeyman to scare other righties with.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2016, 08:02:54 AM »

If it's like the "alt-right", it would exist mainly in the mind of the "regular" right to be used as a boogeyman to scare other righties with.

Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2016, 08:15:08 AM »

It's the identity warriors. Think BLM, Tumblr, the radical identity politics people. We don't call them alt left, we just call them Black Lives Matter, Tumblr whateverisms. They serve the same purpose of being an echo chamber and highly ideological.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2016, 12:47:16 PM »

It's the identity warriors. Think BLM, Tumblr, the radical identity politics people. We don't call them alt left, we just call them Black Lives Matter, Tumblr whateverisms. They serve the same purpose of being an echo chamber and highly ideological.

To a certain extent, this. The alt-right is pretty irrelevant - its main base of support seems to be on reddit and on a few fringey far-right websites; the few 'representatives' that it has in the real world are largely attention-seekers like Milo Yiannopoulos (whose shtick is basically a watered down and less amusing version of that of Taki Theodoracopulos). It's only real relevance is, as has been mentioned, a big bad bogeyman used by liberal 'rightists', standard liberals and left-wingers to browbeat the mainstream right with whenever it attempts to touch certain issues.

On the other hand, what Potus described as the alt-left has clearly moved well beyond its Tumblr stage and is busy infiltrating (or already has) universities, online publications and indeed political parties, and is busy moulding the minds of a generation of impressionable young people. The alt-right, I guess, is a reaction to this, but it's an incredibly weak and counterproductive one, and, like I said, is largely confined to the fringes, unlike the 'alt-left' (which is part of the reason why it isn't called the alt-left).
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2016, 03:20:13 PM »

To a certain extent, this. The alt-right is pretty irrelevant - its main base of support seems to be on reddit and on a few fringey far-right websites; the few 'representatives' that it has in the real world are largely attention-seekers like Milo Yiannopoulos (whose shtick is basically a watered down and less amusing version of that of Taki Theodoracopulos). It's only real relevance is, as has been mentioned, a big bad bogeyman used by liberal 'rightists', standard liberals and left-wingers to browbeat the mainstream right with whenever it attempts to touch certain issues.

On the other hand, what Potus described as the alt-left has clearly moved well beyond its Tumblr stage and is busy infiltrating (or already has) universities, online publications and indeed political parties, and is busy moulding the minds of a generation of impressionable young people. The alt-right, I guess, is a reaction to this, but it's an incredibly weak and counterproductive one, and, like I said, is largely confined to the fringes, unlike the 'alt-left' (which is part of the reason why it isn't called the alt-left).

World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2016, 03:46:59 PM »

I've used the term 'alt-left' to refer to the hyper-identitarian types, but I'm beginning to think that that implies a false moral equivalency (less because the hyper-identitarians are better than I thought they were and more because the alt-right is even worse).
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2016, 04:59:18 PM »

Tbh that gif is more applicable to people who actually think of the alt-right, an internet based movement composed primarily of people who sit on their arse all day and share insensitive memes, as being the second coming of the international fascist movement of the 1930's.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2016, 08:01:03 AM »

"no u" is always a good argument
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2016, 05:13:09 PM »

I believe the correct term is the ctrl-left.

The 'control left' is obviously tankies.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2016, 05:18:13 PM »

Well I wasn't really given much to argue against, other than a Futurama gif. Oh well.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies