Confirmation Hearings
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:13:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearings
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearings  (Read 8721 times)
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2004, 09:16:26 PM »

Perhaps this should be postponed until a plurality can be assembled?
Since this matter is urgent, we should not postpone questioning. But no votes will be held until a majority assembles.

During your tenure as a Supreme Court Justice (this is for all of you), will you actively participate in the campaign for a certain individual, knowing that you could possibly end up judging that person's election? (Of course, you should feel free to vote, but this is about active campaigning.)

Absolutely not.  I specifically refrained from campaigning in the recent elections for this very reason.  I did not feel it proper after I had been nominated by President Nym.
ShapeShifter

« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2004, 09:18:20 PM »

Only four Senators have been sworn in.  All Progressives.  These hearing should be postponed until we have at least 6 senators sworn in.
Beet is not a Progressive. Four out of 8 Senators have been sworn in. It is arguable that StatesRights also took the oath

In any event, the oaths were preponed just so that we could get the hearings underway. It would be contrary to the logic of preponing the oaths to now adjourn the hearings. No decision can be taken until 6 Senators have been elected, but no decisions will be taken now anyway.

Now, you are out of order. No further comments from the audience will be acceptable.

Fair enough, but I would still feel more comfortable if you waited until we had 6.

First off, ALL senators-elected will get a chance to ask their question when they get the chance to swear in.

I will appreciate if you stop posting in the hearings.

I can post hear if I want to.  Anyone can.

Until Super is dealt with, I will refuse to continue with the confirmation hearings and will postpone my questions later.
Emsworth
Lord Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2004, 09:19:00 PM »

Only four Senators have been sworn in.  All Progressives.  These hearing should be postponed until we have at least 6 senators sworn in.
Beet is not a Progressive. Four out of 8 Senators have been sworn in. It is arguable that StatesRights also took the oath

In any event, the oaths were preponed just so that we could get the hearings underway. It would be contrary to the logic of preponing the oaths to now adjourn the hearings. No decision can be taken until 6 Senators have been elected, but no decisions will be taken now anyway.

Now, you are out of order. No further comments from the audience will be acceptable.

Fair enough, but I would still feel more comfortable if you waited until we had 6.

First off, ALL senators-elected will get a chance to ask their question when they get the chance to swear in.

You are obtruding in and obstructing the solemn proceedings of this Honorable body. You are in contempt of the Senate.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2004, 09:19:20 PM »

Until Super is dealt with, I will refuse to continue with the confirmation hearings and will postpone my questions later.

Good.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2004, 09:21:49 PM »

You are obtruding in and obstructing the solemn proceedings of this Honorable body. You are in contempt of the Senate.

This is a forum my friend, I think that you need to take some of the stuffing out of your shirt.
Emsworth
Lord Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2004, 09:22:55 PM »
« Edited: April 25, 2004, 09:25:06 PM by Senator Emsworth »

This is a forum my friend, I think that you need to take some of the stuffing out of your shirt.
Perhaps you would kindly allow us to proceed with our duties, instead of contributing your incessant interruptions.

Maybe Gustaf should be made "Serjeant-at-Arms" of the Senate. Then he could delete such obstructive posts.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2004, 09:22:58 PM »

could the progressive senators check the progressive forum please?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2004, 09:25:10 PM »

Perhaps you would kindly allow us to proceed with our duties, instead of contributing your incessant interruptions.

You will only hear what you want to hear.  I'm sorry if my legit points offend you, but they clearly seem to so I have resorted to this.
Emsworth
Lord Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2004, 09:26:59 PM »

You will only hear what you want to hear.  I'm sorry if my legit points offend you, but they clearly seem to so I have resorted to this.
I am not offended by any of your points. You consented to the Senate proceeding on hearings without a majority present. Your problem with shapeshifter's questions have nothing to do with me. I should hope, however, that we can restore some civility here.
Emsworth
Lord Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2004, 09:30:43 PM »

Now, to continue.

Does any nominee have any leadership or chairmanship position in any party?
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2004, 09:31:22 PM »

Now, to continue.

Does any nominee have any leadership or chairmanship position in any party?

I have no official positions within my party.
Emsworth
Lord Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2004, 09:34:17 PM »

Honorable fellow Senators,

I think that we should take due note of KEmperor's cooperation so far in these hearings. I of course await the other nominees' answers; meanwhile, I suggest that all of this be remembered by Honorable Senators when they eventually do vote.
Emsworth
Lord Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2004, 09:49:08 PM »

Messrs Nominees,

I have no further questions at this moment. KEmperor seems to have answered all of the questions; other nominees will please make their answers known at the first convenient opportunity. Thank you all for any participation that has been had so far.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2004, 09:50:18 PM »

I also hold no position within my party. I have answered all your questions Senator.
Emsworth
Lord Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2004, 09:54:19 PM »

I also hold no position within my party. I have answered all your questions Senator.
Not so fast, Mr Mas.

Texasgurl asked, "i would like to ask the nominee if he has already made up his mind in regards to the district 4 situation?"

I asked, "Let us assume that one individual, clearly a troll, will come before your court. The Attorney-General, however, violates the due process rights of the defendant somehow (it is not relevant how). Will you then throw out a conviction rendered at a trial or not?"

MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2004, 10:53:59 PM »

Not so fast, Mr Mas.

Texasgurl asked, "i would like to ask the nominee if he has already made up his mind in regards to the district 4 situation?"

I asked, "Let us assume that one individual, clearly a troll, will come before your court. The Attorney-General, however, violates the due process rights of the defendant somehow (it is not relevant how). Will you then throw out a conviction rendered at a trial or not?"

First of all Emsworth I answered your question...on the 4 suituation, I have made up by mind. I looked at all the evidence and made my decision which is not yet public.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2004, 01:23:55 AM »
« Edited: April 26, 2004, 02:52:15 AM by John D. Ford »

Hold on one minute.  When I protested that the Senate lacked a full 10 person roster and could not procede with confirmations, you progressives told me that you could proceed if you had the votes for a quorum call.  You are proceeding with confirmation hearings with only four Senators (all Progressives), an insufficient number for a quorum call (which would require six votes, a true majority).  These hearings are in themselves a violation of your own Senate rules.  This is garbage.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2004, 02:14:42 AM »

Messrs nominees-

As some citizens of the Atlas Board are not residing in the United States at this presnt time, what is your view on allowing members from different timezones elongated voting hours, to fit into schedules that must be kep, such as school, work and sleep?

I am in the meantime preapared to confirm , should my vote be needed. I would prefer my vote not to be counted until after the question has been answered by all appointees. Whilst I know they do not create laws, I am using this scenario as a guide to the general way in which they weill approach issues presented to them.
Emsworth
Lord Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2004, 05:33:17 AM »

Hold on one minute.  When I protested that the Senate lacked a full 10 person roster and could not procede with confirmations, you progressives told me that you could proceed if you had the votes for a quorum call.  You are proceeding with confirmation hearings with only four Senators (all Progressives), an insufficient number for a quorum call (which would require six votes, a true majority).  These hearings are in themselves a violation of your own Senate rules.  This is garbage.
A - The four Senators were not all Progressives.
B - In the real Senate, a quorum is presumed to be present unless a Senator demands a quorum call which then demonstrates that a quorum is not present.
C - Only votes require a majority; hearings do not.
dunn

« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2004, 06:03:21 AM »

A - The four Senators were not all Progressives.
B - In the real Senate, a quorum is presumed to be present unless a Senator demands a quorum call which then demonstrates that a quorum is not present.
C - Only votes require a majority; hearings do not.

It's unlogic that the hearing uupon which later the vote will take place will be conducted w/o quorum.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2004, 07:00:49 AM »

Mr Quorum maker here...

the issue is now moot. I would prefer the question to be answeres, obviusly, even though I support their confirmation.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2004, 02:27:47 PM »

Any questions from other senators?
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2004, 02:52:19 PM »

I thank you all for listening. I will now answer your questions. I would invalidate the troll's conviction on the grounds of fair procedure. Any conviction obtained without due process is fruit from a poisonous tree. If a person came before the court that I had a strong political connection with, I would recuse myself. I would also support the elongation of voting hours in certain time zones to accomodate the voting rights of forum members.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies