Does Elizabeth Warren have any leadership skills outside Wall Street topic?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:41:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Does Elizabeth Warren have any leadership skills outside Wall Street topic?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does Elizabeth Warren have any leadership skills outside Wall Street topic?  (Read 1186 times)
Shadows
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 27, 2016, 11:04:28 PM »

We know that she is a politically expedient person who doesn't have the guts to take difficult stands going against the grain.

But outside of Wall Street & mere speeches in the Senate, does she have any significant presence among progressives in other issues?

She is an abject failure as a "LEADER" of Climate Change. She claims to Native American but has done nothing to help the Dakota Pipeline protesters. If she doesn't support the protesters she should atleast make her position clear

What is her stand on student debt? She doesn't have huge idea or presence across Universities the way Bernie has

She is also a big letdown on worker rights, Minimum wage fight. She is not an activist, doesn't go n protest, stand with worker's groups, lead the fight.

This is for Strong Progressives - Climate Change, Marijuana Legalization, Free College, Min Wage, etc - Does she lead in anything apart from Wall Street?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 11:41:16 PM »

She once wanted to invade Iran, I think.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 11:56:27 PM »

This is a good example of what happens when you slight people in the more activist/purist faction of liberals. They will burn you at the stake if you fail them once, even with something as stupid and inconsequential as a primary endorsement.

Yesterday's hero, tomorrow's villain. All over one little thing. You don't even deserve Bernie, and people who turn on each other so easily hold back progress instead of moving it forward.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 01:22:27 AM »

I think the OP has a point -- to a certain extent.

Warren clearly has her focuses (financial issues/markets) and has occasionally made some high profiled statements on social issues and some party building/political process stuff (filibuster reform and the SCOTUS blockade come to mind), but I can't remember her delivering a high profiled speech on foreign policy, for instance.

Having said that, I think OP is being overly critical about this. Most Senators seem to have their key issues based on their background and strengths.

Yes, I do think Warren isn't necessarily the most well-rounded candidate; if she decided to launch a national campaign, she probably would have some catching up to do. But I'm not sure she even wants to be President. She seems fairly content where she is.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 11:39:04 AM »

This is a good example of what happens when you slight people in the more activist/purist faction of liberals. They will burn you at the stake if you fail them once, even with something as stupid and inconsequential as a primary endorsement.

Yesterday's hero, tomorrow's villain. All over one little thing. You don't even deserve Bernie, and people who turn on each other so easily hold back progress instead of moving it forward.

For strong progressives Bernie was a once if a lifetime candidate who ran on Warren's policies, who was a friend of Warren before she was in politics against a candidate Warren said on video who sells votes for money & stands against everything Warren stood for within the Dem umbrella.

But I am past that. I will ignore that if she has any leadership skills. She was obviously politicking & campaigning & pleading for the VP job. I see no amount of fortitude near that on strong progressive issue.

Do you know what the most important issue is for progressive? Climate Change & the future of this planet. She has no position of the Dakota Pipeline when protesters are being violently dealt with & Native americans abused. She claims to be a Native American. Why is she never fighting on any Native American issue?

What has she done for Healthcare? She never has advocated 1 single policy for Single payer or anyways to strengthen ACA?

I have never seen her do 1 Single big legislation for Minimum wage or get anything passed. If she can't get stuff done, then she should atleast help generate buzz around issue, be with workers.

She has no activist base, little accomplishment outside Wall Street. Why should she be not called out on her complete lack of leadership?

Bernie is 75. Many Berniecrats are looking for a leader to take over the mantle & Warren is a massive failure for everything outside Wall Street!
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 11:42:49 AM »

For strong progressives Bernie was a once if a lifetime candidate who ran on Warren's policies, who was a friend of Warren before she was in politics against a candidate Warren said on video sells votes for money. So that will sting. I will ignore that if she has any leadership skills. Bernie is 75. Many Berniecrats are looking for a leader to take over the mantle & Warren is a massive failure for everything outside Wall Street!

She was obviously politicking & campaigning & pleading for the VP job. I see no amount of fortitude near that on strong progressive issue & fighting for causes like Climate Change or Minimum Wage.

Do you know what the most important issue is for progressive? Climate Change & the future of this planet. She has no position of the Dakota Pipeline when protesters are being violently dealt with & Native americans abused. She claims to be a Native American. Why is she never fighting on any Native American issue? 1000's of people are tweeting to her for 1 Line of support & she is not even taking a stand!

What has she done for Healthcare? She never has advocated 1 single policy for Single payer or anyways to strengthen ACA if that is what she wants?

I have never seen her do 1 Single big legislation for Minimum wage or get anything passed. If she can't get stuff done, then she should atleast help generate buzz around issue, be with workers. She has no activist base, little accomplishment outside Wall Street.

Why should she be not called out on her complete lack of leadership?

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 12:07:27 PM »

Well this is stupid.

Warren had always briefed that she would act as the bridge- if she endorsed Sanders what they may have just about tipped Massachusetts ( a state Clinton won in 2008/2016) at best, but then what?

The irony of attacking Warren for lacking skills, whilst supporting Sanders should be mentioned. I've always said this- Warren is a progressive politician. She tells the story of her dad having a heart attack on the stump/in the media, she talks about her own life, she fundraisers heavily for the party and has her own base in the party- what does Bernie have?

I don't have the energy/time/willpower to link you to videos/statements/policies of Warren advocating for a minimum wage, climate issues etc but they're all out there. 
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 12:23:21 PM »

I have never seen her do 1 Single big legislation for Minimum wage or get anything passed. If she can't get stuff done, then she should atleast help generate buzz around issue, be with workers.

She initially proposed many years ago the CFPB and pushed for its creation in Dodd-Frank. That's her baby. You can't say she hasn't done anything, and that agency has done a lot. Surely you can't say Bernie has done far more via legislation. What do you expect Warren to do when she became a Senator during a time of divided and obstructionist government? Maybe she didn't see a point in introducing pieces of legislation that were doomed to fail. Not everyone might share the feeling that that is necessary.

She has no activist base, little accomplishment outside Wall Street. Why should she be not called out on her complete lack of leadership?

Bernie didn't before he ran either. You keep thinking of him post-primary as if he's always been like this. He wasn't that well-known before his campaign. He was always on the fringes of the Senate, while Warren preferred to work within the system. Those are 2 different styles, and the fact that you fault her for playing the politicians game in pursuit of her goals of helping the average worker is really annoying. Stop obsessing about how she does things.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So what? Even if she is solely focused on the financial system and corporations, why is that a problem? All candidates have specific focuses. Not all politicians are so diverse in their legislative goals.

---

This is why I hate debating politics with purists and activists. You guys turn on each other so easily because you are so emotionally invested in your goals and issues. Warren isn't perfect, and I'm sorry she doesn't share activist interest in the dakota pipeline and other environmental issues as much as the next, but that doesn't mean she wouldn't support climate change legislation if it came to her, or propose solutions and take action if she was president. Bernie is almost laser-focused on the financial system & corporations as well. People seem to forget that it is by far his number 1 priority, and nothing else comes close. It's always been his primary focus and maybe your Bernie lust has blinded you to that.

At the end of the day, she would still be better for this country than most liberals appreciate. If she runs in 2020's primary, I plan to support her with 100% of my energy. You guys can go pout and point fingers and claw each others eyes out if you want. I'm not going to be part of your pursuit of ultimate liberal purity via intra-movement cannibalization.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 12:28:02 PM »

Uh, isn't Shadows a Bernie cultist? What has he achieved? At least Warren is largely responsible for the CFPB.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 01:03:41 PM »

Warren might not have been a "leader" on some issues, but how does she vote? If she votes the same or similar to Bernie and other progressives, then I don't see the problem.

Also, considering she's only had 4 years of experience in the Senate, whereas Bernie's been around since the 90s, I would cut her some slack in terms of "leadership".
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 01:08:18 PM »

Senators build their brand by focusing on specific issues and identifying themselves with specific conflicts.

Rand Paul wants to be Surveillance Guy, Tom Cotton wants to be Let's All Go To War With Everyone guy, and Elizabeth Warren *is * Wall St. Malfeasance.

Elected officials govern by appointing expert staff to work on discrete areas of policy, communications, and political negotiation.

Sen. Warren has shown consistent ability to develop and communicate a persuasive, disciplined message, negotiate effectively on policy, and above all appoint competent staff to do the above.

Leadership enough for me, tbh.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 04:35:56 PM »

I dispute the premise of this thread. Donald Trump has no leadership skills at all and is set to be sworn in as president.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 11:10:54 PM »

The bar is low for these things.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2016, 11:22:13 PM »

She initially proposed many years ago the CFPB and pushed for its creation in Dodd-Frank. That's her baby. You can't say she hasn't done anything, and that agency has done a lot. Surely you can't say Bernie has done far more via legislation. What do you expect Warren to do when she became a Senator during a time of divided and obstructionist government? Maybe she didn't see a point in introducing pieces of legislation that were doomed to fail. Not everyone might share the feeling that that is necessary.

Bernie didn't before he ran either. You keep thinking of him post-primary as if he's always been like this. He wasn't that well-known before his campaign. He was always on the fringes of the Senate, while Warren preferred to work within the system. Those are 2 different styles, and the fact that you fault her for playing the politicians game in pursuit of her goals of helping the average worker is really annoying. Stop obsessing about how she does things.

So what? Even if she is solely focused on the financial system and corporations, why is that a problem? All candidates have specific focuses. Not all politicians are so diverse in their legislative goals.

---

This is why I hate debating politics with purists and activists. You guys turn on each other so easily because you are so emotionally invested in your goals and issues. Warren isn't perfect, and I'm sorry she doesn't share activist interest in the dakota pipeline and other environmental issues as much as the next, but that doesn't mean she wouldn't support climate change legislation if it came to her, or propose solutions and take action if she was president. Bernie is almost laser-focused on the financial system & corporations as well. People seem to forget that it is by far his number 1 priority, and nothing else comes close. It's always been his primary focus and maybe your Bernie lust has blinded you to that.

At the end of the day, she would still be better for this country than most liberals appreciate. If she runs in 2020's primary, I plan to support her with 100% of my energy. You guys can go pout and point fingers and claw each others eyes out if you want. I'm not going to be part of your pursuit of ultimate liberal purity via intra-movement cannibalization.

I am pretty sure you really don't know much about Sanders if you think he doesn't have an activist base - From his jail time in college chained to a black girl protesting segregation to his protest of wars from Vietnam to Iraq to his part of Jesse Jackson's campaign, Rainbow coalition, founding the House progressive caucus to various issues he has championed. I could write a paragraph on him.

Sanders attends the funerals of many fallen soldiers in VT after the Iraq War. I could give a list of what she did.

I am not denying Warren is a progressive & a good Senator ofcourse she is. I am stating the fact that she can never assemble large parts of the Berniecrats, young people & create the same enthusiasm.

Warren maybe strong in Financial matters & her work on the CFPB was pretty good. But she has showed no leadership outside that.

For one she has no stand for the Dakota pipeline having a Native American heritage (or she claims due to her high cheekbones). You can't be weak on Climate Change & be a very strong progressive.

Coming to Bernie he was an incredibly effective legislator as a House member & was "The Amendment King" passing more amendments that anyone. But that is not the key - The guy is a visionary & possibly the greatest political figure in the last 100 years after FRD, Reagan.

I am not saying she wouldn't support Climate Change Legislation, I am sure she will. But can't be the Presidential Candidate vs Trump if she can't be a leader. I am no denying Warren as a strong progressive, I am only comparing if she can be take over Bernie's wing & she is failing miserably now.

As of Bernie, I have only seen elections in details for the last 7 one's & this was by far the most issue based with incredibly policy details covering the most variety that I have seen. If you ask what is Bernie's biggest issue? I would say Healthcare over Citizens United anyday. That is an issue he has fought for his entire life unlike Money in Politics which is a new issue for him in the last 10 years.

Do I think Warren would be the most progressive candidate in recent Dem history? Yes
Do I think Warren is a better candidate than Trump? Yes
Is she has anywhere as strong as Sanders which Sanders' supporters are beckoning for? No

(She will struggle with low turnout issues now that Sanders has ignited the fire & has put a very high bar to match) - Politically expedient & lack of leadership skills will only turn off the Sanders' base
@ Lief & Correct the Record paid trolls of the 1M$ David Brock's campaign shouldn't be taking potshots!
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 12:20:50 PM »

For one she has no stand for the Dakota pipeline having a Native American heritage (or she claims due to her high cheekbones). You can't be weak on Climate Change & be a very strong progressive.

As someone who's job is actually in genealogy, I find this to be the most ignorant and bigoted of your statements so far. Like 3/4s of people who claim Cherokee heritage (many of whom get legal recognition as such) don't look Cherokee, and many in fact look like Elizabeth Warren, yet they are still Cherokee. And in the time she originally claimed Cherokee ancestry, it was a lot more difficult to prove or disprove that heritage than it is today, with a lot less available resources, and prejudice towards sharing information about that ancestry.

Additionally, here's what the the Oklahoma Historical Society said, according to Wikipedia:

Lastly, who actually cares if she claimed Native American heritage using the best information available to her and trusting her family's stories? The only ones who actually cared were Scott Brown and his bigoted supporters who did a fake Indian war whoop and called Warren Pocahontas or even "Fauxahontas".
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2016, 12:54:27 PM »

As someone who's job is actually in genealogy, I find this to be the most ignorant and bigoted of your statements so far. Like 3/4s of people who claim Cherokee heritage (many of whom get legal recognition as such) don't look Cherokee, and many in fact look like Elizabeth Warren, yet they are still Cherokee. And in the time she originally claimed Cherokee ancestry, it was a lot more difficult to prove or disprove that heritage than it is today, with a lot less available resources, and prejudice towards sharing information about that ancestry.

Additionally, here's what the the Oklahoma Historical Society said, according to Wikipedia:

Lastly, who actually cares if she claimed Native American heritage using the best information available to her and trusting her family's stories? The only ones who actually cared were Scott Brown and his bigoted supporters who did a fake Indian war whoop and called Warren Pocahontas or even "Fauxahontas".

Don't forget Trump. He loves calling Warren "Pocahontas."
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2016, 11:19:31 PM »

America really doesn't want a wretched nasty woman. Neither does Mika.

Link
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies