2018 Senate Control Rating
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:29:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2018 Senate Control Rating
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Rate Control of the Senate for 2018
Safe R

Likely R

Lean R

Toss-Up

Lean D

Likely D

Safe D

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 73

Author Topic: 2018 Senate Control Rating  (Read 2918 times)
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2016, 10:23:27 PM »

I like how people are trying to predict how much the political landscape will change by 2018, plus, we don't even know how the GOP, and president Trump will perform in those years.

I am not giving a rating until a year out at the earliest.

I agree. The scary thing is, there is potential for Trump to be wildly popular and Democrats go below 40 seats in the Senate.

Hopefully that will not happen.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2016, 10:52:00 PM »

I like how people are trying to predict how much the political landscape will change by 2018, plus, we don't even know how the GOP, and president Trump will perform in those years.

I agree. The scary thing is, there is potential for Trump to be wildly popular and Democrats go below 40 seats in the Senate.

Don't think that's happening https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/802972944532209664
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2016, 12:25:28 AM »

Don't think that's happening https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/802972944532209664
and of course his deplorable sheep are following him in that very reply thred
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2016, 10:39:13 AM »

Likely R, but only because we're so far out; much closer to safe R than to lean R.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2016, 10:45:56 AM »

Likely R, but only because we're so far out; much closer to safe R than to lean R.

I agree. And trying to retake the Senate will be fruitless cause, imo. Democrats should focus on minimizing loses.
Cynthia
ueutyi
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -3.63

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2016, 02:24:07 PM »

Likely R for now. I can't see a plausible third pickup while Democrats holding onto all their own seats.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2016, 10:37:17 AM »

Likely R. Make no mistake about it, the 2018 map for Democrats is really tough. I guess we’re actually lose one, two or three seats. Even if the Trumpster is already very unpopular in November 2018, I see almost no chance to regain the senate before the 2020 election. The odds to take back the house under a President Drumpf with underwater approval ratings is actually higher.
Rural Radical2
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2016, 06:24:08 PM »

Likely Republican at this stage, though a lot could change
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2016, 02:02:18 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2016, 02:12:00 PM by Orser67 »

Likely R, though closer to Safe R than Lean R. One thing to keep in mind though is that some Republican Senators (as well as Democratic Senators, of course) could die or otherwise leave office in the next two years, which could in turn lead to a Democratic pick-up in a special election.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2016, 02:07:50 PM »

Likely R. I think It'll be about net +1 in either direction.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2016, 02:12:58 PM »

Likely Republican, pretty close to safe as far as probability in Republicans holding the Senate, but I believe majority will be narrow.

I could be wrong though and people like TnVolunteer, Heisenberg and others could be right in that GOP picks up every single state Trump won and GOP has like 60 seats in January 2019.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2016, 02:35:33 PM »

2018 could be a blue wave and still be close to a republican super-senate-majority.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2016, 02:37:40 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2016, 02:39:47 PM by Jimmie »

I could be wrong though and people like TnVolunteer, Heisenberg and others could be right in that GOP picks up every single state Trump won and GOP has like 60 seats in January 2019.

For the record: I'm not even predicting that. I just don't believe that 2018 will suddenly be a Democratic wave year and that every red state Democrat (especially liberal ones like McCaskill) will hang on just because Trump is president. I do believe that 2022 (lol) will be a much better year for them if Trump gets reelected.

It may or may not be a Democratic year. Who knows.

And McCaskill is not liberal, look at her voting record. She is probably next to Manchin in conservatism.

Actually you did predict around 60 seats for GOP.

I'll be even "bolder": Republicans win MT, ND, IN, MO, OH, WI, WV and two of PA/MI/FL/ME. Democrats barely win in either AZ or NV. R+8.

Not sure if you were serious or not, but if 2018 is a Republican wave year, that is of course possible.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2016, 02:40:44 PM »

For the record: I'm not even predicting that. I just don't believe that 2018 will suddenly be a Democratic wave year and that every red state Democrat (especially liberal ones like McCaskill) will hang on just because Trump is president. I do believe that 2022 (lol) will be a much better year for them if Trump gets reelected.

It may or may not be a Democratic year. Who knows.

And McCaskill is not liberal, look at her voting record. She is probably next to Manchin in conservatism.

Actually you did predict around 60 seats for GOP.

I'll be even "bolder": Republicans win MT, ND, IN, MO, OH, WI, WV and two of PA/MI/FL/ME. Democrats barely win in either AZ or NV. R+8.

Not sure if you were serious or not, but if 2018 is a Republican wave year, that is of course possible.

McCaskill is fairly liberal. On the Issues puts her decidedly to the left.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2016, 02:42:54 PM »

I do not care about OnTheIssues.org lmao.

McCaskill is an old fashioned conservative blue dog Democrat. She has evolved from her time in office.

She would have won in 2012 even without the rape comment. Most of the anti akins who hated Claire went libertarian.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2016, 02:43:49 PM »

If 2018 is a Democratic wave year, I would except them to pick either NV and AZ or both, and hold on to a majority of their red state seats.

If 2018 is a Republican wave year, I would expect the following:

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2016, 02:43:59 PM »

If Heitkamp doesn't run, I would move my prediction to Safe Rep
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2016, 02:46:17 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/12/01/this-democratic-senator-sure-sounds-like-shes-open-to-serving-in-the-trump-administration/?utm_term=.334afe28d1de

This is news.

Heitkamp may be in Trump Administration.

And all in all, it is probably for the best. Even if it costs Democrats a seat now, it has them less stretched thin to defend Missouri, Indiana, West Virginia, etc in 2018.

P.S. MCCASKILL IS  NOT FAR LEFT. Look at her voting record and no ontheissues.org crap.. She is a conservadem.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2016, 03:49:27 PM »

If Heitkamp doesn't run, I would move my prediction to Safe Rep

For North Dakota, or the Senate as a whole?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2016, 07:00:40 PM »

Texas could be the third pickup for the Democrats. Trump won it by single digits and it is trending D. Of the Castro brothers run they might have a chance. Plus Cruz is vulnerable and may be under attack from his own party. Still, it doesn't look too plausible.  Likely R at this stage since Safe is too strong of a statement.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2016, 08:13:18 PM »

She was gonna have a tough race and Cramer should run and it doesn't look like the Dems will pick up Louisiana. So, Senate control isn't gonna be that much of a factor.

Dems need to hold their losses and 2020 looks like 2016 for them in AK, Iowa, NC and CO
pikachu
United States

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2016, 07:13:38 PM »

Likely R, with a net gain for Republicans of 2-3. Even then, I can see them losing a lot of House seats and governorships. 1982 might end up being an amazing parallel for 2018 (though for all of our sakes, hopefully 2020 doesn't end up being another 1984).
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2016, 09:13:45 PM »

A funny state to watch if Trump if unpopular for the 3rd pick up for dems is Utah. Huntsman and McMullin are both considering 3rd party runs and the dems likely nom Jim Matheson has a history of winning races in Utah most expected him to lose
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2016, 09:23:50 PM »

If it turns out that midterms are a natural Republican advantage, not a natural out-party advantage (I think it's some of both, but mostly the former), and Trump's first two years go well, we could easily be looking at a GOP gain of 10-15 seats in the Senate, breaking a filibuster with ease (and possibly even overriding a veto).  But, a more likely scenario is a modest 3-7 seat gain, assuming Trump is polarizing in office.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2016, 09:34:26 PM »

If it turns out that midterms are a natural Republican advantage, not a natural out-party advantage (I think it's some of both, but mostly the former), and Trump's first two years go well, we could easily be looking at a GOP gain of 10-15 seats in the Senate, breaking a filibuster with ease (and possibly even overriding a veto).  But, a more likely scenario is a modest 3-7 seat gain, assuming Trump is polarizing in office.
I don't see how the reps can gain 7 seats if Trump is polarizing while midterms might be rep advantage I can't see an mindset that would lead to a rep turnout to give him greater control of the senate if he is not doing a good job
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies