IL-Gov. 2018 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:41:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-Gov. 2018 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 54
Author Topic: IL-Gov. 2018 Megathread  (Read 112621 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2017, 03:52:03 PM »

Scott Drury sure sounds like he's running for Governor.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #101 on: April 29, 2017, 03:56:24 PM »

I think it'll be Kennedy name/gloss vs Pritzker $/institutional connex. It'll be interesting either way

Kennedy is also pretty rich. Here's hoping a non Muh Rich Guy rises to the top (Dan Biss especially)
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #102 on: May 01, 2017, 09:48:17 PM »

If it's Pritzker vs Rauner, Democrats throw out the "uber rich and out of touch" card.  They might not need it anyway. 

I saw a Rauner ad yesterday during the Sox game.  Bad.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #103 on: May 01, 2017, 11:00:51 PM »

Saw every Democratic candidate last weekend (except Pawar). Very impressed by Biss and thought Pritzker also handled himself very well—I don't know if I'd vote for him in the primary, but I'd be comfortable voting for him in the general, his heart seems like it's in the right place. Chris Kennedy was, uh, an experience.

Straw poll afterwards (among College Democrats) had Biss around 75%, Kennedy and Pritzker around 12% each.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #104 on: May 01, 2017, 11:12:56 PM »

Saw every Democratic candidate last weekend (except Pawar). Very impressed by Biss and thought Pritzker also handled himself very well—I don't know if I'd vote for him in the primary, but I'd be comfortable voting for him in the general, his heart seems like it's in the right place. Chris Kennedy was, uh, an experience.

Straw poll afterwards (among College Democrats) had Biss around 75%, Kennedy and Pritzker around 12% each.

Kennedy that bad huh?
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #105 on: May 01, 2017, 11:44:01 PM »

I'd rather Pritzker be the nominee it will free up a lot of resources for the DGA to spend elsewhere. Money thrown towards IL against Rauner is money not spent in KS, WI, OH, MI etc.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #106 on: May 01, 2017, 11:49:18 PM »

Considering that it's Illinois though, even a small sum of money would lead to a high return on investment, especially compared to those states. So it wouldn't require a lot of money either way.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #107 on: May 02, 2017, 12:03:17 AM »

I'd rather Pritzker be the nominee it will free up a lot of resources for the DGA to spend elsewhere. Money thrown towards IL against Rauner is money not spent in KS, WI, OH, MI etc.
Well Biss and Kennedy aren't exactly poor.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #108 on: May 02, 2017, 12:18:28 AM »

Kennedy that bad huh?
He was less than comfortable during most of the Q&A sessions. Not a good vibe about him—Rauner isn't particularly special, but without a lot of prep between now and then I don't think he'd handle himself very well in a debate.

Well Biss and Kennedy aren't exactly poor.
Huh? Kennedy is loaded, but Biss made $33K last year. His normal salary (when the state actually has a budget) is around $54K. Relative to Kennedy and Pritzker, that's pocket change.
Aliens
Invader
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -6.09

« Reply #109 on: May 04, 2017, 09:20:59 PM »

JB Pritzker released his first TV ad a couple days ago, Think Big!
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #110 on: May 05, 2017, 12:16:29 PM »

Pretty good introduction.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #111 on: May 05, 2017, 01:28:27 PM »

This is Illinois, though and in an anti-Trump wave is felt it will be in Obama's homestate.

Illinois has felt the biggest dip in jobs and Rauner hasn't done much to quell the dissatifaction of the job market or declining wages in Illinois.

It's almost as if there's an army of morons standing in his way!
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #112 on: May 05, 2017, 02:22:16 PM »

That "army of morons" has been in control for quite a while now. They've always been able to pass a budget. Even when there was a Republican governor, Thompson and Edgar and Ryan were all able to get a budget passed. That all seems to suggest the problem is not with anyone in the legislature or even with the party of the governor, but rather with the individual currently occupying the office.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #113 on: May 05, 2017, 04:37:22 PM »

That "army of morons" has been in control for quite a while now. They've always been able to pass a budget. Even when there was a Democratic President, Johnson and Carter and Clinton were all able to get a budget passed. That all seems to suggest the problem is not with anyone in the Congress or even with the party of the President, but rather with the individual currently occupying the office. (Obama)
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #114 on: May 05, 2017, 04:54:32 PM »

That "army of morons" has been in control for quite a while now. They've always been able to pass a budget. Even when there was a Republican governor, Thompson and Edgar and Ryan were all able to get a budget passed. That all seems to suggest the problem is not with anyone in the legislature or even with the party of the governor, but rather with the individual currently occupying the office.

The budgets normally passed by those Army of Morons have, very frankly, ruined Illinois.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #115 on: May 07, 2017, 02:32:13 PM »

And those budgets they passed are what has put the state in the dire fiscal condition it is in today... It was a bipartisan effort by previous governors.. Brucey wants to clean it all up.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #116 on: May 07, 2017, 02:34:14 PM »

JB and Rauner are already running ads non-stop, and the election is 19 months away... I predict this will be one of the most expensive races ever, and people are going to HATE both of them by the end of it. 
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #117 on: May 07, 2017, 02:41:59 PM »

Does JB have any noteworthy baggage going into this? I mean, I'm sure we'll all find out soon enough, but I was curious if there were any obvious weak spots known right now.

henster
YaBB God

« Reply #118 on: May 07, 2017, 03:14:47 PM »

Does JB have any noteworthy baggage going into this? I mean, I'm sure we'll all find out soon enough, but I was curious if there were any obvious weak spots known right now.

I can't imagine anything worse than Rauner.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #119 on: May 08, 2017, 03:25:12 PM »

Don't know if it's "baggage" in the traditional sense, but he'll be fighting the "rich guy in politics" archetype that voters may be fed up with?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #120 on: May 10, 2017, 10:37:32 AM »

AFL-CIO for Pritzker
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #121 on: May 19, 2017, 09:47:44 AM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-bruce-rauner-ken-griffin-20-million-met-20170517-story.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #122 on: May 19, 2017, 10:34:04 AM »

This race is going to be hell, 18 months of constant ads, big money, charges of corruption on both sides, most expensive race ever, yay.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #123 on: May 19, 2017, 12:33:38 PM »

I see this race shapping like the 2020 race, an ethnically challenged Billionaire Rauner, who is deeply unpopular with the blue collar minorities, but popular with white working class.

As I see it, as Rauner goes, so does Trump/Pence(if impeachment)

Dems are likely to regain the governorship, but never count them out.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #124 on: May 19, 2017, 12:48:43 PM »

JB seems to actually have a pretty progressive platform, taking the Phil Murphy approach. Not a terrible idea.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 54  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies