IL-Gov. 2018 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:46:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-Gov. 2018 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 54
Author Topic: IL-Gov. 2018 Megathread  (Read 112644 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2016, 11:59:07 AM »
« edited: January 23, 2017, 06:34:37 PM by muon2 »

IL continues to lose population faster than any other state, primarily due to outmigration to other states (over 500K net loss since 2010). The Gallup poll of 2013 identified that 50% of IL residents would move out if they could - the highest percent in the US. A similar poll this fall from the Paul Simon Pubic Policy Institute put the percentage who want to leave IL at 47%. This attitude was present under Quinn, and hasn't changed.

Rauner will say he has a plan to change that, but the Dems have blocked it. He does have a plan, and it is bold and far-reaching, and parts may not even work, but its a plan. His plan involves a lot of anti-union elements as well as curbs on legislative power. Those parts are toxic to a lot of the Dems. So far under Rauner the Dems have only proposed the same sorts of programs and spending they did under Quinn - ie no change as far as many voters are concerned. But the poll numbers say change is demanded, and for the first time in most people's memory the Pubs picked up legislative seats in a presidential year.

Who ever the Dems nominate for Gov is going to have to come to grips with the facts above. They don't have to espouse the Rauner agenda, but they can't rehash Quinn either if they plan to succeed. They are going to have to be as bold as Rauner and risk some pushback from key groups. But there are Dem models out there from MN to CA that a candidate could run on. So far, none have dared. That could cost them in 2018.

Rauner has been a disappointment to me, but I admit it is way to early to count him out. Especially for a gubernatorial bid. Illinois is a Midwestern state. Midwestern state= generally great chances of a swing. Two years ago, they elected Rauner. Less then two months ago, it was the minority of states that swung Democratic on the Presidential level.

What curbs on legislative power is Rauner wanting to run on? As far as anti-union legislation, is this for public sector unions or all unions? I dislike public sector unions as a rule.

On top of all that, why do you think half of Illinois residents want to move out? When I was visit Chicagoland it seemed like heaven on earth to me. I realize that being a tourist versus resident are two different things.

The two main curbs on legislative power that Rauner seeks are term limits and redistricting reform. Both poll well over 70% with broad bipartisan support. Both require constitutional amendments that the Gov has no role in proposing. Term limits can only be done by legislative action - limiting their future, since an amendment could likely not be retroactive.

Rauner surprised a lot of observers by coming out against all union power, not just in the public sector. His public sector initiatives have been pushed more forcefully and would impact collective bargaining directly. But he'd like to end the use of prevailing wage which affects private-sector unions on public projects. He initially pushed hard for right-to-work but that hasn't been part of his agenda since May 2015, nonetheless that push cost him a lot of support from the private-sector unions.

IL residents have been itching to get out since the end of the last decade. Property taxes are the highest in the nation, and they don't think they are getting enough value for those local taxes. Suburban taxpayers feel like they spend too much on Chicago, but see little improvement, and now Chicago has had the largest property tax hike in its history, too. Chicago does look great near the Loop and there a whole lot going on as finally the tech economy has come around. However a lot of that improvement in Chicago's center came at the expense of the neighborhoods, and Emanuel had a real reelection fight in 2015 against a substitute candidate. As the murder rate has climbed and school scores have dropped, it only reinforced the sense that the taxpayers aren't getting enough value from government.

Then the Great Recession brought a stagnation in middle class private sector jobs, particularly in manufacturing and other less specialized fields. Those businesses didn't come back to IL in the same way they did other Midwestern states as the recession ended. When asked businesses say they are looking for signal that things are going to change, and then be stable - neither of which has happened this decade. So, when housing prices came back above water after the recession, the outflow to other states kicked up.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2016, 10:54:26 AM »

I see that the Champaign News-Gazette is pretty much saying the same things about why people want to leave IL, and that doing the same old thing won't bring them back. They note that the data shows that it's middle class taxpayers who are leaving and those coming in are earning less.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Editorials like this is why I claim that addressing this is the challenge facing candidates in 2018.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2017, 11:12:54 AM »

Alderman Ameya Pawar is running for Governor

Pawar is a good guy. I'm a frequent of Ravenswood and have a couple friends that have known Pawar personally for years. Certainly a big task considering some of the other big names (and with big money) considering bids.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2017, 12:12:51 AM »

Rauner says there are "serious concerns" about Trump's immigration dictatoring executive orders that need to be quickly resolved in court, and says he is against targeting people based on their religion, but doesn't outright say it was wrong for Trump to issue the order.

http://www.politico.com/states/illinois/story/2017/01/rauner-admits-serious-concerns-over-trumps-immigration-order-109151
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2017, 10:30:57 AM »

Kennedy in.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2017, 03:23:38 PM »

Got my endorsement.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2017, 04:13:53 PM »

I would say I hope we nominate literally anybody else, but I remembered that Pritzker is probably running. Ugh.
twinpines
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2017, 02:49:38 AM »

We need someone who is going to be aggressive about ending Illinois' regressive tax structure. The middle class is suffering while the wealthy get away with few taxes. I'd like to see someone who can reform the massive pension crisis but at the same time realizes that the middle class needs less taxes, not more in IL.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2017, 08:22:58 PM »

I'm not a massive fan of Kennedy, but he seems like the type that could do well enough in the collar counties to doom Rauner's re-election.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2017, 11:42:21 PM »

Regardless of who the Ds nominate, this starts out as "Lean D" in my book.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2017, 11:53:24 PM »

Regardless of who the Ds nominate, this starts out as "Lean D" in my book.

Tempted to agree. Rauner only beat the People's Pat by 4, and that required blowing Quinn out downstate and in the collar counties. Hard to see that happening again.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2017, 06:58:21 PM »

Madison County Regional Superintendent of Schools Robert “Bob” Daiber is running for Governor as a Democrat. He’s the 2nd Southern Illinoisan (aka South of I-72) to consider running (Manar and now Daiber).

Mike Koziatiek at Belleville-News DemocratSad

Daiber represents my home county as Schools Superintendent for the county's school districts.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2017, 12:20:41 PM »

Ugh, this is going to be tough. Ameya Pawar is a friend of some friends, but I don't know how I could pass up a vote for the son of Bobby K.

Regardless, with the money and influence of the Kennedys (and potentially Pritzkers), Pawar may be out of it early on.

If it is a Kennedy vs Pritzker showdown, I'm with Kennedy.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2017, 02:45:08 PM »

Bustos out.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2017, 03:48:58 PM »

I wouldn't mind if Bustos vacates her seat in 2020 if Durbin retires, and then a populist Republican snatches the seat. With both Pritzker and Kennedy running that could have created an opening for Bustos.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2017, 03:57:47 PM »

Bustos was just not feeling the need to run for Ill. governor in 2018. Maybe in 2022 if Rauner wins a second term and runs for a third term.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/cheri-bustos-no-illinois-governor-235209
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2017, 03:33:24 AM »

Bustos was just not feeling the need to run for Ill. governor in 2018. Maybe in 2022 if Rauner wins a second term and runs for a third term.

More likely Durbin retires in 2020 to make way for her. She's commonly seen as his protege.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2017, 02:36:15 PM »

More likely Durbin retires in 2020 to make way for her. She's commonly seen as his protege.

I see him running one or two more times. He looks like a Senate lifer to me.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2017, 01:12:41 AM »

If Durbin does retire, I hope Napoleon Harris runs.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2017, 01:23:51 AM »

Harris has my endorsement whenever he wants to run for anything, FWIW. One of the few Illinois dems who isn't part of the chicago machine.
Rjjr77
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2017, 02:39:37 PM »

Madison County Regional Superintendent of Schools Robert “Bob” Daiber is running for Governor as a Democrat. He’s the 2nd Southern Illinoisan (aka South of I-72) to consider running (Manar and now Daiber).

Mike Koziatiek at Belleville-News DemocratSad

Daiber represents my home county as Schools Superintendent for the county's school districts.

Bob daiber that joke is running? Haha, well at least it's not Ed Hightower...
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2017, 08:45:44 PM »

Democrats would be making a big mistake running Kennedy.  It would be a pure tossup.  They should nominate someone like Lipinski.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2017, 08:56:17 PM »

Democrats would be making a big mistake running Kennedy.  It would be a pure tossup.  They should nominate someone like Lipinski.

Its Illinois not West Virginia we don't need to run a pro life and anti SSM candidate to win. Rauner approval is worse than Christie, its going to be a Trump midterm, and IL partisanship give Democrats an edge. With Kennedy this race is Likely D until proven otherwise.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2017, 10:04:47 PM »

Lipinski is not a real democrat. He didn't even vote for ObamaCare. If Lipinski is the nominee, then Illinois should just reelect Rauner. There isn't much difference between Rauner and Lipinski, so no reason to change.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2017, 10:05:35 PM »

Its Illinois not West Virginia we don't need to run a pro life and anti SSM candidate to win. Rauner approval is worse than Christie, its going to be a Trump midterm, and IL partisanship give Democrats an edge. With Kennedy this race is Likely D until proven otherwise.

LOL no it's not Likely D with anyone.  It's probably Lean D with Lisa Madigan or Cheri B (who is not running).  Tilt D with any random Chicagoland hack.  Flawless, beautiful Dan Lipinski would win in a landslide.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 54  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies