IL-Gov. 2018 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:42:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-Gov. 2018 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 54
Author Topic: IL-Gov. 2018 Megathread  (Read 112599 times)
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: July 15, 2017, 12:00:05 AM »

If I was in the legislature, I would go ahead with the 4.95% income tax, but also raise the sales tax to either 7.5% or 10.0%, and then take the resulting revenue to use to cut back at the property taxes.
The problem is the voters would just take that hike at face value and not trust that property taxes would actually go down... and rightfully so. You can't trust anything politicians say in this sorry excuse for a state.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #201 on: July 15, 2017, 01:38:20 AM »

If I was in the legislature, I would go ahead with the 4.95% income tax, but also raise the sales tax to either 7.5% or 10.0%, and then take the resulting revenue to use to cut back at the property taxes.
The problem is the voters would just take that hike at face value and not trust that property taxes would actually go down... and rightfully so. You can't trust anything politicians say in this sorry excuse for a state.
... Which is why I would cut property taxes in the same bill. Illinois is getting by on a relatively low sales tax, but certainly too-high property taxes. Balance them out, cut spending back a bit, and it should be fine. The problem in the equation obviously is Madigan.
kozasf

« Reply #202 on: July 15, 2017, 12:45:52 PM »

If Illinois votes Rauner again I'll stop feeling bad because at this point they're doing it to themselves.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #203 on: July 15, 2017, 01:54:10 PM »

If Illinois votes Rauner again I'll stop feeling bad because at this point they're doing it to themselves.

So, the man who opposed a 32% tax increase that hurts middle class and poor families the most is the bad guy? Sorry, that just doesn't add up.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #204 on: July 15, 2017, 01:56:05 PM »

Ah yes lets vote for the people who will keep the machine running for another 12 years, good idea.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #205 on: July 15, 2017, 02:13:11 PM »

Ah yes lets vote for the people who will keep the machine running for another 12 years, good idea.

Good point, but still, Rauner sucks. Run someone else. His tactics are not working. Say what you will about Madigan & Co, but Rauner doesn't seem to be the right person for the job imo. And by no means am I saying someone like Pritzker is right for the job either. I don't really have a high opinion of wealthy businessmen with dubious qualifications buying their way into office.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #206 on: July 15, 2017, 02:15:37 PM »

Good point, but still, Rauner sucks. Run someone else. His tactics are not working. Say what you will about Madigan & Co, but Rauner doesn't seem to be the right person for the job imo. And by no means am I saying someone like Pritzker is right for the job either. I don't really have a high opinion of wealthy businessmen with dubious qualifications buying their way into office.

The choice is a bumbling idiot or a bumbling idiot who is a puppet of the corrupt machine that has been destroying this state for decades imo.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #207 on: July 15, 2017, 02:16:50 PM »

... Which is why I would cut property taxes in the same bill. Illinois is getting by on a relatively low sales tax, but certainly too-high property taxes. Balance them out, cut spending back a bit, and it should be fine. The problem in the equation obviously is Madigan.

I'm not sure now much more one can significantly cut spending. The budget just passed had 5% cuts to all agencies and 10% cuts to higher ed. It also cut pension spending by over 1 G$. That's almost 3 G$ less spending this year than the state spent in the fiscal year ending June 30. Medicaid is one of the largest components of spending not cut, but it's hard to cut without changes to the rules in DC. One could cut transfers to local governments and schools, but that would inevitably force higher property taxes on a state with rates already at twice the national average.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #208 on: July 15, 2017, 08:22:06 PM »

You don't really think Kennedy or Drury would keep the Madigan-Emmanuel machine in power, do you?

Rauner is an incumbent. Sure, Dillard, Kinzinger, or Rutherford would do better ideologically and at governing, but Rauner's not too incompetent or an extremist. He and Madigan aren't willing to compromise. Sure, it's hurting Illinois, but this is Madigan's machine. He is the one who has to compromise if he really cares about the people of Illinois.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #209 on: July 16, 2017, 02:07:55 PM »

You don't really think Kennedy or Drury would keep the Madigan-Emmanuel machine in power, do you?

Rauner is an incumbent. Sure, Dillard, Kinzinger, or Rutherford would do better ideologically and at governing, but Rauner's not too incompetent or an extremist. He and Madigan aren't willing to compromise. Sure, it's hurting Illinois, but this is Madigan's machine. He is the one who has to compromise if he really cares about the people of Illinois.

I don't trust Kennedy and Drury will never win the primary.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #210 on: July 16, 2017, 02:26:09 PM »

If the Kennedy name is so powerful in a Dem primary in Illinois then maybe Joe Kennedy III 2020 should be talked about.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #211 on: July 16, 2017, 02:26:50 PM »

Rauner is not king of Illinois. He won one election, and if he wants his party to have more of a say beyond what he has been able to force out of the legislature, his party needs to win more legislative elections. By no means do I really support Madigan - I wish he would just go away already, and Democrats do need to settle the state finances instead of kicking the can down the road, but I really dispute the idea that in a state as blue as Illinois, a Republican winning one election suddenly means everyone is subservient to him. Same goes for Democratic govs in red states. There needs to be a limit these govs observe to how far they are willing to go to get what they want via obstruction.
Aliens
Invader
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -6.09

« Reply #212 on: July 19, 2017, 09:35:36 PM »

Bill Daley is the new finance director for Kennedy's campaign. Biss raised more money than Kennedy did in Q2.  

Also, Chicago Tonight just had an interview with a primary challenger to Rauner.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #213 on: July 19, 2017, 09:42:14 PM »

Bill Daley is the new finance director for Kennedy's campaign. Biss raised more money than Kennedy did in Q2.  

Strange decision for a candidate running an explicitly anti-establishment campaign to hire seemingly one of the most insider, establishment people in Illinois.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #214 on: July 19, 2017, 09:55:16 PM »

Also, Chicago Tonight just had an interview with a primary challenger to Rauner.

He's a perennial candidate that gets little attention or votes.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #215 on: July 19, 2017, 09:58:31 PM »

So Kingpoleon, tell me again how Kennedy won't let the establishment stay in power.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #216 on: July 20, 2017, 12:09:27 PM »

kennedy apparently told a bunch of old people "if you don't vote for me you'll die alone"
Link to an article/video, please.
friend of a friend was there

Video proof or article would be better, if this is somehow real though...

Here's the video.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #217 on: July 20, 2017, 03:49:23 PM »

Apparently the charming politician gene skipped Chris:

Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #218 on: July 20, 2017, 03:50:20 PM »

This is kinda funny, tbh...
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #219 on: July 20, 2017, 04:18:19 PM »

Apparently the charming politician gene skipped Chris:

Congrats nominee Pritzker.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #220 on: July 20, 2017, 05:45:31 PM »

^ Dan Biss still has a chance. He raised a good deal of money and if he can convince Sanders' organization to back him, he can hope Pritzker splits enough with other candidates.

Personally pulling for Scott Drury, but I'd be surprised.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #221 on: July 20, 2017, 05:47:46 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2017, 08:28:39 PM by Not_Madigan »

^ Dan Biss still has a chance. He raised a good deal of money and if he can convince Sanders' organization to back him, he can hope Pritzker splits enough with other candidates.

I seriously doubt anyone can stop Pritzker with Kennedy imploding like this, but I've always been thinking Biss has a shot. 
80% Chance Pritzker wins imo.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #222 on: July 20, 2017, 06:05:22 PM »

I seriously doubt anyone can stop Pritzker with Kennedy imploding like this, but I've always been thinking Bliss has a shot. 
80% Chance Pritzker wins imo.

Yeah that seems about right. I would go with something like 70/15/10/5 (Pritzker/Kennedy/Biss/The Rest) but my personal distaste for Pritzker's candidacy is probably leading me to assign him a lower probability.

Hard to compete against that much money and establishment support.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #223 on: July 20, 2017, 08:23:22 PM »

Ugh, I'm so tired of seeing this mistake that I finally had to say something.

The Democratic Illinois state senator running in the gubernatorial primary is named Daniel BISS.

B-I-S-S. Four letters. There is no "L" in there.

You don't have to like the guy (I wouldn't vote for him!), but at least call him the right name! Sheesh.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #224 on: August 08, 2017, 12:31:00 PM »

Solid (if lengthy) article on the Dem primary, specifically Drury's focus on Madigan.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 54  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies