IL-Gov. 2018 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:15:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-Gov. 2018 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 54
Author Topic: IL-Gov. 2018 Megathread  (Read 112555 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: September 08, 2017, 02:15:44 PM »

What's the likelyhood that Biss, or Chris Kennedy drop out of the race?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #376 on: September 08, 2017, 03:43:30 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2017, 03:52:45 PM by Malcolm X »

Fun fact: Turns out Ramirez-Rosa told Biss' campaign that he'd always opposed BDS shortly before his selection.

Rosa has opposed and continues to oppose BDS at a state and municipal level (voted against a resolution on the city council). He believes there is room for a nuanced debate nationally, Biss does not. Only the former issue came up, for obvious reasons, in the selection process for Lieutenant Governor of Illinois.

In other news, Biss is announcing State Rep. Litesa Wallace (D-Rockford) as his new Lt. Gov. candidate today. Rep. Brad Schneider, who de-endorsed Biss over the Rosa pick, has declined to re-endorse.

There's room for nuanced national debate about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.  There is not any such room for "nuanced" debate over supporting anti-Semitic hate groups like BDS nor should there be.  They must be condemned in the strongest possible terms for the same reasons that it's vital for politicians to unambiguously condemn white supremacists.    

...but BDS isn't a hate group? You can't repeat something over and over and expect people who disagree with you to suddenly take your stance on the issue. I'm not passionate about this issue and I'm actually more sympathetic to the pro-Israel side (I can understand why Sunrise and such have the opinions that they do since they and their family actually a personal connection to Israel) than a lot of others on the hard-left, but boycott, divestment, and sanctions is a legitimate tactic of protest against nation-states one deems to be oppressive. You can disagree with their labeling of Israel as such, but neither BDS nor DSA are "hate groups".

I don't really know anything about DSA so I can't comment on them, but BDS is very much an anti-Semitic hate group for the reasons Gustaf and others have discussed elsewhere in this thread.  
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #377 on: September 08, 2017, 03:48:09 PM »

Fun fact: Turns out Ramirez-Rosa told Biss' campaign that he'd always opposed BDS shortly before his selection.

Rosa has opposed and continues to oppose BDS at a state and municipal level (voted against a resolution on the city council). He believes there is room for a nuanced debate nationally, Biss does not. Only the former issue came up, for obvious reasons, in the selection process for Lieutenant Governor of Illinois.

In other news, Biss is announcing State Rep. Litesa Wallace (D-Rockford) as his new Lt. Gov. candidate today. Rep. Brad Schneider, who de-endorsed Biss over the Rosa pick, has declined to re-endorse.

There's room for nuanced national debate about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.  There is not any such room for "nuanced" debate over supporting anti-Semitic hate groups like BDS nor should there be.  They must be condemned in the strongest possible terms for the same reasons that it's vital for politicians to unambiguously condemn white supremacists.    

...but BDS isn't a hate group? You can't repeat something over and over and expect people who disagree with you to suddenly take your stance on the issue. I'm not passionate about this issue and I'm actually more sympathetic to the pro-Israel side (I can understand why Sunrise and such have the opinions that they do since they and their family actually a personal connection to Israel) than a lot of others on the hard-left, but boycott, divestment, and sanctions is a legitimate tactic of protest against nation-states one deems to be oppressive. You can disagree with their labeling of Israel as such, but neither BDS nor DSA are "hate groups".

Since you are more nuanced on this than many who share your ideological orientation (to your credit!) I'll ask: why Israel? Why a liberal democracy where Arab Israelis have full political rights? Why is the same standard not applied to other countries? I used examples earlier of the pogroms against LGBT in Chechnya (an extreme version of general Russian persecution against queer people), the Rohingya attacks in Burma, An *actual* genocide in Darfur. It's absurd to compare these places to Israel and that's the point - there is no comparison. Like the earnest question every time a terror attack in the West happens, "Why aren't we talking about this instead?" If there's genuine concern for human rights, focus the energy on boycotting the Middle East's one stable democracy on thuggish regimes engaged in ethnic and religious cleansing. There's the real outrage.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #378 on: September 08, 2017, 04:25:41 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2017, 04:28:51 PM by Shameless Bernie Hack »

Since you are more nuanced on this than many who share your ideological orientation (to your credit!) I'll ask: why Israel? Why a liberal democracy where Arab Israelis have full political rights? Why is the same standard not applied to other countries? I used examples earlier of the pogroms against LGBT in Chechnya (an extreme version of general Russian persecution against queer people), the Rohingya attacks in Burma, An *actual* genocide in Darfur. It's absurd to compare these places to Israel and that's the point - there is no comparison. Like the earnest question every time a terror attack in the West happens, "Why aren't we talking about this instead?" If there's genuine concern for human rights, focus the energy on boycotting the Middle East's one stable democracy on thuggish regimes engaged in ethnic and religious cleansing. There's the real outrage.

<insert position that I don't really care about re: settlements, gaza blockade, etc etc that you're conveniently ignoring>

Like I'll be real honest - the emotions and feelings I have about either side of Israel/Palestine could fit in a thimble with room for cream and a little bit of simple syrup. But pretending that Israel is morally blameless and just perfect is at odds with the facts.

And like, the fact that you're saying "well, they're not Al-Shabab" isn't really filling me with confidence.

I was personally opposed to DSA endorsing BDS just because I know a lot of people's berserk button is primed on the issue, and whatever good we'd do in supporting it is vastly outweighed by the s*** we'd catch because of it, but I really admire CRR for sticking by DSA's position on the issue. And let's be clear, CRR's personal position on the issue is NOT full endorsement of BDS, but he was willing to stand up to the berserk critics anyway.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #379 on: September 08, 2017, 04:46:07 PM »

<insert position that I don't really care about re: settlements, gaza blockade, etc etc that you're conveniently ignoring>

Like I'll be real honest - the emotions and feelings I have about either side of Israel/Palestine could fit in a thimble with room for cream and a little bit of simple syrup. But pretending that Israel is morally blameless and just perfect is at odds with the facts.

And like, the fact that you're saying "well, they're not Al-Shabab" isn't really filling me with confidence.

I was personally opposed to DSA endorsing BDS just because I know a lot of people's berserk button is primed on the issue, and whatever good we'd do in supporting it is vastly outweighed by the s*** we'd catch because of it, but I really admire CRR for sticking by DSA's position on the issue. And let's be clear, CRR's personal position on the issue is NOT full endorsement of BDS, but he was willing to stand up to the berserk critics anyway.

But it's perfectly possible to be against settlements (at minimum I think they should be halted) or think Likud is terrible (I wanted Boogie or whatever his name was to win in '15) or oppose the Gaza Blockade (I thought it was ill-advised at best). You can hold those positions, all of which are within the progressive mainstream, while NOT supporting BDS. collectively punishing all Israeli people over policy disagreements is absurd. Not to mention the modern desire to conflate all  expressions of Jewishness with Zionism (see: Chicago "Dyke March"), and the historically illiterate contention that Zionism is a form of white supremacy or fascism

Israel is not perfect. Israel has, typically when egged on by Likudniks (or worse) made resolution more difficult. But most counties are not morally pure in any way, and BDS has a singular focus on just the one country, with logically spurious reasoning.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #380 on: September 08, 2017, 04:51:59 PM »

I doubt either will—I thought Kennedy was looking like he might, but he also may just be disorganized and weird.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #381 on: September 08, 2017, 05:00:48 PM »

I doubt either will—I thought Kennedy was looking like he might, but he also may just be disorganized and weird.

The Kennedy campaign's ineptness has really been remarkable
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #382 on: September 08, 2017, 09:38:05 PM »

The pick of Litesa Wallace as Biss's ticketmate is a sound one.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #383 on: September 09, 2017, 05:16:35 PM »

Should have picked Kelly Burke or Fran Hurley.  Two great Illinois Democrats.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #384 on: September 09, 2017, 07:20:40 PM »

Should have picked Kelly Burke or Fran Hurley.  Two great Illinois Democrats.

But Biss is making a play for the progressive wing, and though both Burke and Hurley are solid legislators (esp. Burke on higher ed funding), neither are going to excite progressives.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #385 on: September 09, 2017, 11:32:05 PM »

For Drury's running mate, would Jonathan Jackson or Kwame Raoul be interested, do you guys think?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #386 on: September 10, 2017, 04:58:42 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2017, 05:03:35 PM by sjoyce »

Rep. Scott Drury, the candidate of choice for Kingpoleon, Wulfric and literally no one else, has named his running mate. It's his campaign manager.

For Drury's running mate, would Jonathan Jackson or Kwame Raoul be interested, do you guys think?
No.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #387 on: September 10, 2017, 06:19:28 PM »

Rep. Scott Drury, the candidate of choice for Kingpoleon, Wulfric and literally no one else, has named his running mate. It's his campaign manager.

No.

Drury sure is reaching out across all wings of the party with that one Tongue
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #388 on: September 10, 2017, 11:31:39 PM »

Friendly neighborhood reminder that nobody cares about the light gov position unless their really really controversial. Some dudes/dudettes are a staple in Illinois.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #389 on: September 13, 2017, 07:18:39 AM »

BDS supports punishing individual Israelis for the "crime" of being Israeli. The radical left has never been a reliable ally in the fight for human rights but it's important for the mainstream left to be clear about those issues. 
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #390 on: September 13, 2017, 08:06:18 AM »

CK to announce his Lt Gov on Thursday
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #391 on: September 13, 2017, 10:59:52 AM »

BDS supports punishing individual Israelis for the "crime" of being Israeli. The radical left has never been a reliable ally in the fight for human rights but it's important for the mainstream left to be clear about those issues. 

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #392 on: September 13, 2017, 03:33:44 PM »

Err...William Z. Foster was a diehard supporter of Stalin.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #393 on: September 13, 2017, 06:48:10 PM »

One always has to resort to baby talk on here. So step by step:

1. "Not being a reliable ally" implies that the subject is SOMETIMES an ally, but cannot be relied upon.

2. As such, the statement explicitly says that the radical left is indeed an ally at times.

3. Therefore, your response that it has been an ally in a specific situation does not contradict the statement and rather confirms it. The addition that the person was Stalinist further underlines my original point.

4. You should try and not embarrass yourself like this in the future.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #394 on: September 14, 2017, 08:04:51 AM »
« Edited: September 14, 2017, 08:07:26 AM by Alpha »

The addition that the person was Stalinist further underlines my original point.

Looks like the Stalinists were ahead of the kind moderate liberals on civil rights.

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #395 on: September 14, 2017, 08:37:04 AM »

The radical left has never been a reliable ally in the fight for human rights

Uh, then who are the "reliable all[ies]" of the human rights movement? I don't see how the people with the deepest-seated commitment to egalitarian principles are anything but the primary allies of the humans rights cause.

Anti-semites don't really have a deep-seated commitment to egalitarian principles. Tongue

Us liberals who actually support universal human rights are the good guys. The radical left is a good ally at times but discussions like this is a useful reminder that it can't be relied upon. Currently, the radical left cannot be relied upon to protect Jews, for example.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #396 on: September 14, 2017, 08:44:26 AM »

Uh, then who are the "reliable all[ies]" of the human rights movement? I don't see how the people with the deepest-seated commitment to egalitarian principles are anything but the primary allies of the humans rights cause.

Anti-semites don't really have a deep-seated commitment to egalitarian principles. Tongue

Us liberals who actually support universal human rights are the good guys. The radical left is a good ally at times but discussions like this is a useful reminder that it can't be relied upon. Currently, the radical left cannot be relied upon to protect Jews, for example.

This. And the far-left outside the Western world didn't really have a good track record on civil rights...
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #397 on: September 14, 2017, 09:34:51 AM »

More "anti-Israel=antisemitic" nonsense in this thread. Roll Eyes
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #398 on: September 14, 2017, 09:50:37 AM »

It's almost as if every single ideology has groups that they're less than tolerant of and there isn't one (like "liberals") that is totally innocent on the issue of tolerance.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #399 on: September 14, 2017, 12:40:15 PM »
« Edited: September 14, 2017, 12:48:06 PM by Malcolm X »

The addition that the person was Stalinist further underlines my original point.

Looks like the Stalinists were ahead of the kind moderate liberals on civil rights.

Pretty sure that MLK's quote is referring to so-called "moderates" on civil rights rather than liberals (who frankly did far more to advance African-American civil rights on an actual policy level than whites on the far-left fringe, but don't let facts get in your way.

Also, Stalin fanboys like Foster are almost by definition turning a blind eye to - if not, outright rationalizing or even praising - the rampant crimes against  humanity committed by Stalin's regime.  Hardly reliable allies in the struggle for human rights, to say the least.

More "anti-Israel=antisemitic" nonsense in this thread. Roll Eyes

Claiming that those condemning anti-Semitism are somehow claiming anti-Israel = anti-Semitism seems to be the pro-BDS crowd's version of Donald Trump's "antifa is just as bad as the neo-Nazis/the KKK" BS.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 54  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies