IL-Gov. 2018 Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:50:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-Gov. 2018 Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: IL-Gov. 2018 Megathread  (Read 112891 times)
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: February 26, 2017, 08:45:44 PM »

Democrats would be making a big mistake running Kennedy.  It would be a pure tossup.  They should nominate someone like Lipinski.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 10:05:35 PM »

Democrats would be making a big mistake running Kennedy.  It would be a pure tossup.  They should nominate someone like Lipinski.

Its Illinois not West Virginia we don't need to run a pro life and anti SSM candidate to win. Rauner approval is worse than Christie, its going to be a Trump midterm, and IL partisanship give Democrats an edge. With Kennedy this race is Likely D until proven otherwise.

LOL no it's not Likely D with anyone.  It's probably Lean D with Lisa Madigan or Cheri B (who is not running).  Tilt D with any random Chicagoland hack.  Flawless, beautiful Dan Lipinski would win in a landslide.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 09:08:43 PM »

Former Illinois Treasurer and 2010 Senate candidate Alexi Giannoulias should run for governor. He's young, handsome and could win against Rauner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexi_Giannoulias

Agree, but the best candidate would be the Iron Lady of Cook County, Anita Alvarez.  I love her.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 09:05:33 PM »

Toni Taxwinkle wants it, but she might be waiting for mayor.  She would do poorly outside Cook County.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 09:48:12 PM »

Dan Lipinski could never make it through a statewide Democratic primary.

This, though I would endorse him if he somehow did. Among the other Dems who haven't already said no, I would support Napoleon Harris, and potentially Dan Hynes. Otherwise IL should just reelect Rauner.

What about Rich Whitey?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 08:59:25 PM »

Judy Biggert would be great.  We need JUDY!
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 09:13:00 PM »

Judy Biggert would be great.  We need JUDY!

are you not a fan of Rauner?

He's been ok but unfortunately he's bad at politics.  He doesn't know how to play the game, and nothing is getting done.  People didn't elect him to not have a budget for four years.  I drove down to St Louis and all the rest stops were closed.. I had to piss!  If he doesn't accomplish anything in the next year his time in office will have been a big bust, no matter how much he stood by his principles. The Democrats in Illinois are disgraceful, and I blame them for this mess.  Unfortunately, the people of Illinois are too stupid to see that though, so we just have to deal with Madigan and his cronies.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 09:41:12 PM »

Judy Baar Topinka/Lipinski 2018
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 07:17:14 PM »

Good luck with that... He's the most beloved Congressman in the country.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 09:48:17 PM »

If it's Pritzker vs Rauner, Democrats throw out the "uber rich and out of touch" card.  They might not need it anyway. 

I saw a Rauner ad yesterday during the Sox game.  Bad.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 02:32:13 PM »

It's almost as if there's an army of morons standing in his way!

That "army of morons" has been in control for quite a while now. They've always been able to pass a budget. Even when there was a Republican governor, Thompson and Edgar and Ryan were all able to get a budget passed. That all seems to suggest the problem is not with anyone in the legislature or even with the party of the governor, but rather with the individual currently occupying the office.

And those budgets they passed are what has put the state in the dire fiscal condition it is in today... It was a bipartisan effort by previous governors.. Brucey wants to clean it all up.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 02:34:14 PM »

JB and Rauner are already running ads non-stop, and the election is 19 months away... I predict this will be one of the most expensive races ever, and people are going to HATE both of them by the end of it. 
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 01:00:55 PM »

Residents are pouring out of Illinois.  The state's lost more people than any other state this decade.  So naturally, the solution to a shrinking tax base is to ratchet up the rates for those that are left...

Dissolve Illinois!
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 12:09:55 AM »

RIP Illinois, you had a good run.  Muon killed you.  Cold blooded murder.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 07:00:08 PM »

I thank governor Rauner for standing up to the people of Illinois, who can't afford a 32% tax increase.

Thanks to that tax hike from 'slightly less than everywhere else' to 'around average,' I can now call 911 if I need to. I appreciate your concern but I'm honestly fine.

It is not a tax hike of 32%. It is an increase from 3.75% to 4.95%. While technically correct to call it a '32% hike,' it does not accurately reflect the situation. At all.
You're asking Republicans to be honest, man. It's not worth it.

Hope Rauner gets curb stomped.

It actually exactly reflects the situation.  You pay a 32% higher income tax... how is that misleading?  What's the "honest" explanation?Huh  If you make 50,000 your tax goes up from 1,875 to 2,475... Maybe if this is confusing for Democrats, it explains why they continue to screw us over again and again.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 05:03:50 PM »

And again, you basically can't deduct anything in Illinois.  The rate is what it is, which makes it effectively higher than a lot of other states which are technically higher
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 08:25:04 PM »

Pritzker is really, really unlikeble... ew.  What a gift to Rauner.  He'll still lose, but the democrats chose their worst possible candidate.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2017, 02:36:10 PM »

Daniel Biss.  Big mistake!  He lost a lot of supporters with his crazy LG choice.  What is he thinking?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2017, 09:50:19 PM »

Standing up against anti-semitism is not purity politics.  It's being a decent human being.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2017, 07:13:46 PM »

Glad to see Daniel Biss stand up to hate.  Maybe I was wrong about him!
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2017, 05:16:35 PM »

Should have picked Kelly Burke or Fran Hurley.  Two great Illinois Democrats.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2017, 12:39:59 PM »

Rauner lied to Cardinal Cupich.  The people of Illinois are done with him.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2017, 06:08:34 PM »

Was just polled today.  They asked about Rauner and Pritzker/Kennedy, and they also asked about a bunch of other R's:

Jeanne Ives
Kyle McCarter
Dan Proft
...Bill Brady?

Proft and Brady would be bad.  I like Ives but not gonna happen. 

Brian Urlacher!
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2017, 05:36:31 PM »

Off-topic, but it would be very kind of Ives to open up her seat for 2018. HD-42 swung from 53 - 45% Romney to 51 - 41% Clinton. It would probably be pretty hard to pick that seat up with her as an incumbent, but an open seat would be doable. On that note, there seems to be a lot of opportunities for IL Democrats to reclaim a supermajority. The state GOP would do well to convince her to stick to more practical goals for this cycle.

It would be just shy of Safe R.  This is Wheaton.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2017, 05:23:00 PM »

Toni Taxwinkle's pop tax is about to be repealed.  She destroyed her political career trying to squeeze a few more bucks out of the poor residents of Cook County.  Could't have happened to a more deserving person.  SAD!
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies