Honest question: Will there be an election in 2020? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:18:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Honest question: Will there be an election in 2020? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Honest question: Will there be an election in 2020?  (Read 5131 times)
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« on: January 26, 2017, 10:54:18 PM »

Yes. There will be elections. Life will continue. In fact, liberals will be thanking God for fifty years for Donald Trump, because he will be prove an effective punching bag to run against. Sort of how liberals thank God for Herbert Hoover.

We have more to fear on the authoritarian score from someone who wins a wide majority and will be backed by the (angry) rising majority coalition in this country and will have a Congress to go with him. Aka, nobody from the Right who will be able to create that kind of coalition and plenty of people on the Left who can.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 11:42:46 PM »

Yes. There will be elections. Life will continue. In fact, liberals will be thanking God for fifty years for Donald Trump, because he will be prove an effective punching bag to run against. Sort of how liberals thank God for Herbert Hoover.

We have more to fear on the authoritarian score from someone who wins a wide majority and will be backed by the (angry) rising majority coalition in this country and will have a Congress to go with him. Aka, nobody from the Right who will be able to create that kind of coalition and plenty of people on the Left who can.

That's actually a good point, and partly why I am not a Democrat (yet). I'm skeptical of one party having too much unchecked power, and while Republicans have it now (and it does truly horrify the sh**t out of me, even as a straight white male planning on joining the Navy with an Ivy League degree in hand, I realize I have nothing to lose personally. But I actually think this is beginning to resemble fascism.), Democrats are very likely to have it in the future (and a much more dominant majority, too).

How do Republicans not see that their day of reckoning is coming?  It's pretty simple... they consistently get X (very low) % of the minority vote.  The minority vote grows by X % every year.  They can win an election every now and then, like Trump (who got about 3 million votes less than Clinton) but their long term numbers are going to be disastrous. 

Oh, I 100% agree. Many of them are operating under some delusion that those Millennials will "warm" to them with age (the "you become conservative with age" myth), or some stupid sh**t like that. Watch Fox News sometimes for a laugh, and someone is bound to bring it up every now and then.

-Psst... the answer for the Republican Party is ending DACA and rapidly moving to an immigration restrictionist posture.

This is not going to change the fact that minority vote growth will outpace white voter growth in America, no. You don't understand that DACA kids are a very small fraction of the Latino vote, even if legalized, and that 3/4 of the Latino vote is legal and growing.

Even if you "restricted" immigration starting now, the 1965 immigration law let in 50 years of unrestricted immigration around the world and their descendants are legal voters. White voters, I keep saying this over and over again, are set to decrease in absolute values starting in 2024.

Your posture just puts you at the mercy of urban liberal white voters in CA, NY, IL, PA, etc. You cannot mine the rural counties indefinitely. The fact Trump lost the popular vote by 3 million (including the fact that large swaths of IL, NY, CA whites voted Democratic, for example) indicates that your faith in the white voting bloc voting GOP is seriously misplaced.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 11:56:43 PM »

The same Texas that went from 57-41% Romney to 52-43% Trump, with the Houston, Dallas, and Ft. Worth areas trending Democratic?

Okay then.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 12:04:51 AM »

The same Texas that went from 57-41% Romney to 52-43% Trump, with the Houston, Dallas, and Ft. Worth areas trending Democratic?

Okay then.

I'm assuming you're agreeing with me? The similarities to California are strikingly similar. Texas is basically where California was in the 80's. I think my scenario would take a few decades to pan out, but the potential is very much there.

Yes, I was. I was also responding to EHarding.

I need to take a look at why Dallas and Houston shifted Democratic as did Ft. Worth. It might be interesting to evaluate how these cities are ethnically and income wise.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies