Honest question: Will there be an election in 2020? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:10:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Honest question: Will there be an election in 2020? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Honest question: Will there be an election in 2020?  (Read 5069 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« on: November 28, 2016, 01:21:20 AM »

Possible tricks:

1. Legislation that regulates the Democratic Party so that it will be ineffective.
2. Putting property qualifications on voting.
3. Mandating that people vote as their employers dictate.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 10:48:50 PM »

Think of every right-wing evil not specifically precluded by the Constitution of a Supreme Court ruling, and consider it possible. That is the Trump Administration we face.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 08:26:22 PM »

there won’t be a President Drumpf by that time.

haha.  That's what I was thinking as well.  He may end up getting himself impeached, but I think he'll resign.  Not just under pressure to avoid impeachment either.  I think he'll grow bored with this gig long before the general election of 2020. 

I hope that's not the case--peaceful transfer of power after four or eight years of freedom and prosperity would be preferable to me, regardless of the identity of the president--but my hunch is that he'll get tired of the scrutiny and of the responsibility pretty quickly and we'll end up with President Pence at some point before the election of 2020.

Freedom and prosperity? I expect neither. There will be prosperity, but only for a very small part of the population who really rules America. We will have the freedom to recognize Donald Trump as the man who saved America... Cubans had that freedom under Fidel Castro, too. Donald Trump wants more power for the FBI to hack the Internet... if it is for detecting a terrorist threat or someone doing crime on the Internet such as securities fraud or copyright violations, OK. But if it is against dissent, then welcome to China.

Having shown himself an extremist and acting erratically he would be one-and-done in a well-functioning democracy even if he got elected.  I just can't be sure that we will have a functioning democracy in 2020. 

Be thankful that people like me protest and demonstrate against the excesses of the President and his monolithic, subservient Party. Such is the proof of freedom being alive in America.   
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 10:11:03 AM »

Do none of you understand the constitution? The president doesn't have unlimited power. Trump is a bit authoritarian for my tastes, but not as much as Clinton. Additionally, seeing people who like Fidel Castro warn about a Trump dictatorship makes me unsure if I ought to laugh or cringe.

Seriously, there is no chance of a dictatorship unless a full-scale civil war breaks out, which we all know isn't going to happen, and even then it would be highly unlikely. The National guard and police may have to crush a riot or two, but that's the extent of it.

P.S. I love how you are all so concerned about rigged elections now after saying a month ago that Trump was a "threat to democracy" for not pledging to accept the results until he saw if there was fraud. The doublethink of the left is wondrous to behold.

1. The President has the powers that Congress will let him exercise. After 3010 President Obama was a weak President.  All that can stop Donald Trump is the Supreme Court (which he is likely to fill with people sympathetic to his beliefs on human rights and economics), the unwillingness of local law enforcement to repress dissent, and any rifts in the Republican Party.

2. The real difference between Donald Trump and Fidel Castro is simply that they have opposite views on whether economic inequality that dehumanizes the masses is a good thing. Marxists and ultra-capitalists believe that capitalism is the same thing, an order engineered to enrich elites at the expense of everyone else. Castro opposes the exploitation; Trump wants to intensify it. Both offer mind-numbing propaganda in the service of their beliefs and make implications of violence to anyone who gets in the way.

Both are True Believers with ho tolerance of any disagreement in policy or objectives. That they disagree as diametrically on whether capitalism at its harshest is ideally good or horrifically evil matters little when one considers that they see capitalism as the same harsh economic order and reduce political debate to "I know everything that there is to know, and if you disagree with me, go burn in Hell".

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies