Was Trump the most electable Republican?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:57:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Was Trump the most electable Republican?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Was Trump the most electable Republican?  (Read 1263 times)
Cruzcrew
Paleocon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 28, 2016, 06:56:56 AM »

As much as I hate to say it, Trump, if not the most electable, was relatively well suited to take the Midwest and many swing states due to his highly unconventional politics. I can't see any other Republican candidate hitting free trade as hard as he did or attacking Clinton as vigorously as he did and the attacks definitely did stick on her. I can't imagine emails being an issue in a Rubio vs Clinton or Bush vs Clinton matchup as they probably wouldn't have attacked it hard enough to really stick it into the heads of undecided voters. And in the end, Trump somehow did better with Hispanics than Romney. He may have been one of the most unlikable Republican candidates that could've been the nominee but he effectively positioned himself as a lesser of two evils that would really change things.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 07:03:14 AM »

Clinton was an extremely weak candidate and it's not like Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania are solid D states.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 07:17:10 AM »

Evidently.

Twitter trolling works.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 07:20:51 AM »

Given how mindbogglingly weak the Republican field was, even/especially with 17 candidates, I'm inclined to believe so.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 08:21:40 AM »

Not. By a long shot. John Kasich was by far the most electable, followed by Marco Rubio.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 09:12:50 AM »

Yes, has anybody ever realize that Democrats loose to incompetent inexperienced Republicans and win against the more establishment type.
Cruzcrew
Paleocon
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 10:48:42 AM »

The thing is you would think what Trump does would work out horribly but the twitter trolling and nicknames are pretty effective
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 11:32:49 AM »

Trump was by far one of the most unelectable. But Clinton was losing to an extremist like Ted Cruz too!

Kasich would have won in a landslide & had a genuine chance of atleast coming close in CA & NY against a total fraud candidate in Clinton - People were desperately looking for a chance to vote for someone other than Clinton.

Rubio would also have won big, would have taken MN, NV, CO, NH, ME easily - Maybe he would have lost WI or MI but PA would also be trending R!
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 11:45:13 AM »

lolno
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 12:26:34 PM »

Was Trump the most only electable Republican?

yes.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 12:50:10 PM »
« Edited: November 28, 2016, 12:52:26 PM by Phony Moderate »

If the other clowns in the primaries weren't capable of beating Trump then they wouldn't have been capable of defeating Clinton. Rubio would have gone down as the GOP's answer to Michael Dukakis, Kasich would have managed to choke and Cruz is a vile creature who would have been battered.

Though Jim Gilmore might have been an exception.
iratemoderate
Rookie
United States

P
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 12:50:50 PM »
« Edited: November 28, 2016, 12:58:30 PM by iratemoderate »

Kasich and Little Marco would have been more electable possibly, but no one else would have won Trump's combination of states.

Personally, if Rubio or Cruz had been the nominee, I would have actually voted for Hillary Clinton. I despise and distrust both men, albeit for different reasons.

Also, neither a Cuban Bush nor a hardened ideologue would have swept the Rust Belt in the general. Ruboto is a Republican Obama but with less charm and more arrogance. A very poor work ethic and EXTREMELY weak on immigration. As for Ted Cruz, need I explain? This was a guy running well to the right of Barry Goldwater who is also exceedingly unlikeable and cunning.

Trump won overwhelmingly with GOP moderates in the primaries except in OH, VT, and VA.
iratemoderate
Rookie
United States

P
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 12:51:46 PM »

The thing is you would think what Trump does would work out horribly but the twitter trolling and nicknames are pretty effective

That's because they all have at least a strong kernel of truth in them. They do not stick for no reason.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2016, 01:01:52 PM »

Can we all stop pretending to know who the most "electable" candidate is? Clearly, this election showed us that we need to throw out the old way of determining electability.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2016, 01:16:43 PM »

He spoke the language of the people. Which doesn't really make the people look good.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2016, 01:26:28 PM »

Not. By a long shot. John Kasich was by far the most electable, followed by Marco Rubio.
iratemoderate
Rookie
United States

P
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2016, 01:36:50 PM »

I agree, although Rubio does not deserve to be president now or probably ever.
Kasich ran at the wrong time, and I am afraid that he has poisoned his chances with the base by not endorsing Trump. He would have been the most qualified, I think.
iratemoderate
Rookie
United States

P
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2016, 01:41:45 PM »

Trump was by far one of the most unelectable. But Clinton was losing to an extremist like Ted Cruz too!

Kasich would have won in a landslide & had a genuine chance of atleast coming close in CA & NY against a total fraud candidate in Clinton - People were desperately looking for a chance to vote for someone other than Clinton.

Rubio would also have won big, would have taken MN, NV, CO, NH, ME easily - Maybe he would have lost WI or MI but PA would also be trending R!

Polls never showed Cruz winning PA, MI, or the like. Trump always polled better than Cruz in these types of states.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2016, 04:23:32 PM »

Jeb would have been sunk by his surname. Cruz is too much of a religious nut to ever sit in the Oval Office. Kasich is a pushover who refuses to pay the naturally dirty game of politics. Rubio would have had his robotic meltdown eventually. In other words, Trump was the most electable by process of elimination.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2016, 04:25:47 PM »

Cruz/Rubio: can't see them winning in the Rust Belt

Kasich: for all his hype he is a bland dude who'd been in politics for decades, and thus poor alternative to Hillary.

Trump: taped right in to the anti-establishment mood.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2016, 04:28:29 PM »

He was exactly what disaffected whites wanted. If Romney couldn't even make a dent in those Rust Belt states, I have a hard time seeing how weaklings like Cruz, Rubio, or Kasich could've. And if you don't make that dent, you don't break the "Blue Wall," which you need to do to win.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2016, 05:12:31 PM »

Looking at the rest of the Republican field, I'd say yes. Kasich might have had a hope by wresting the middle away from Clinton, but the rest would have been DOA.
Cruzcrew
Paleocon
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2016, 06:54:21 PM »

I can definitely see the other Republican candidates performing better in the popular vote but I just have a hard time seeing someone like Rubio or Kasich who wouldn't damage Hillary enough dominating the electoral college more than Trump did.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2016, 08:51:27 PM »

Someone else might have done better in the popular vote, but no other Republican would have gotten as many electoral votes.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2016, 11:01:37 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies