Ohio State Attack
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:48:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ohio State Attack
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Ohio State Attack  (Read 3298 times)
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2016, 11:10:10 PM »

Quit being obtuse and admit: you're glad this happened, because you want this type of violence. It satisfies you politically at best and at worst it satisfies you psychologically.
Are you really going to insult me so plainly as to suggest that I get off to acts of religious violence, simply because I understand that the perpetrator is a human being? I'm shouldn't even be dignifying that with a response. 
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2016, 11:56:16 PM »

The reason people don't like Islam is because attacks like this happen.

If attacks like this didn't happen, there would be no ill feeling towards Islam and therefore no reason to desire these kinds of attacks.

Why do liberals imagine that people don't like Islam anyway?
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2016, 12:13:53 AM »

The reason people don't like Islam is because attacks like this happen.

If attacks like this didn't happen, there would be no ill feeling towards Islam and therefore no reason to desire these kinds of attacks.

Why do liberals imagine that people don't like Islam anyway?

It's incredibly unfortunate that attacks like this happen, but their association with Islam is rather tenuous. There's nothing in Islamic texts, when read in the right context, that justifies such violent acts. This is the work of human hands, those of people seeking power, purpose, and/or retribution for real or imagined wrongs. Individuals like this terrorist were radicalize by a combination of alienation and extremists seeking recruits (typically online) among those who possess a particular set of vulnerabilities (alienation, anger, existential angst, and the typical youthful man's desire for recognition and meaning in life). Islam is simply their means to an end, just as Communism, Anarchism, and Nationalism have been. The problem is not Islam nor even the Muslim community, but rather the pervasive sense of meaninglessness and injustice that so many feel and experience.

America has its own form of these people arising under the banner of the alt-right. If you're familiar with it (which is anyone who has actually consumed their blogs and websites), you'd understand what I mean. They may not be committing terrorist attacks at the level of Islamists, but that's simply because they operate under a different set of conditions. The same radicalism is present and potentially equally dangerous.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2016, 12:56:17 AM »

If you are raised to believe in a magic book that says it's alright to kill people, you will be more likely to kill people than a person who wasn't raised to believe in a magic book that says it's alright to kill people.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2016, 05:52:26 AM »

If you are raised to believe in a magic book that says it's alright to kill people, you will be more likely to kill people than a person who wasn't raised to believe in a magic book that says it's alright to kill people.

It's quite telling of your pseudo-intellectualism and sense of superiority that you simply summarize and dismiss a book of such complexity as the Quran by calling it "a magic book." Regardless of the myths about its divine inspiration, it contains numerous verses worthy of praise and many that have been taken out of context by both Islamists and Westerners seeking an excuse to either assault religion in general or Islam and Muslims in particular. Islam has some unsavory aspects, as does every religion. And these aspects are exacerbated or incorrectly associated with the religion due to the cultures of the those who  practice it. The Bible has numerous examples of violence and murder, yet it also helped form the basis of Western morality, including that of Secular Humanism, to which I assume you subscribe while looking down on religion as belonging to "ignorant peasants."
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2016, 07:27:56 AM »

don't bother, j/a. willips has been steadfastly refusing to learn literally anything about islam for years now
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2016, 07:46:59 AM »

"ISIS is taking credit for the terrible stabbing attack at Ohio State University by a Somali refugee who should not have been in our country."
@realDonaldTrump
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/803921522784092160
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2016, 09:07:20 AM »

I'm just going to note that I initially sneered at the suggestion that this was an Islamic inspired attack and sadly I was wrong. It's a shame that Tweed wannabe Runeghost's personal dislike for me is strong enough for him to find a way to a) repeatedly grasp at straws in the face of the obvious, and worse, b) outright justify the attack and find a way to pin the blame on me and the millions of other Americans who took a stand for Trump. Sad!

Lies, name-calling and more lies, to cover up that you got caught lying and had it pointed out what a hypocrite you are. President-elect Pussygrabber couldn't ask for a more enthusiastic imitator.
You denied the media was reporting that the attacker pledged allegiance to radical Islamists like Al-Awlaki and have nothing to fall back on but technicalities. That was a lie on your part. You've been referring to our President-elect as "Pussygrabber" and me as a "racist," "liar," and so on. That is name-calling on your part.

How dare you suggest that referring to President-elect Pussygrabber in the fashion that he has so clearly demonstrated he deems appropriate for addressing prominent national figures is "name-calling"? For shame sir (or ma'am). For shame.

Like your cult leader, you're still making stuff up.  You said,
I was thinking about the Facebook posts where he praised ISIS leaders, but whatever.

You have yet to produce any evidence for what you claim. Because you made it up. That makes you a liar.  And I certainly didn't call you a racist directly, although if you self-identify as a "permanently terrified cultist of President-elect Pussygrabber" who is afraid of people with brown skin then feel free to (accurately) consider yourself a racist, too.
What difference does ISIS and Al Qaida make? Is 9/11 suddenly ok because they aren't ISIS?

Thank you for proving what I wrote earlier: Trumpchumps don't care about details. If he hadn't said something about Al-Awaki, you'd be going "terror, terror, terror" just because he was a practising follower of Al-Gebra.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2016, 10:06:10 AM »

Guys, it's readily apparent this man radicalized and became influenced by fundamentalists in short order. Please don't deny the reality that however sad his isolation was, he still attempted to kill civilians.

Denying reality does nothing to help fix what happened. That being said, we shouldn't stop accepting refugees because of one incident. Our culture is great at assimilating people into accepting (relatively) socially liberal ideas and a lone attack like this is an anomaly on par with other groups.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2016, 12:08:47 PM »

Thank you for proving what I wrote earlier: Trumpchumps don't care about details. If he hadn't said something about Al-Awaki, you'd be going "terror, terror, terror" just because he was a practising follower of Al-Gebra.

Don't understate the amount of damage Al-Jebra did on 9/11. He might have a pretty media face, but we know the truth.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2016, 12:17:39 PM »

White supremacists lecturing others about excusing or finding justifications for violence. Welcome to Trump's America.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2016, 06:37:03 PM »

And even that story paints a much greyer picture then "generic evil isis guy".

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This man was incredibly misguided, but he wasn't some heartless killer.
Seriously? Are you seriously still trying to paint his actions as if somehow he was the real victim?

When the media and world leaders paint Islam as this violent and barbaric religion with no place in society, and encourage the public to follow this idea (resulting in many of the heinous acts towards Muslims all over the world), the blame falls on them and those who believe them when people feel they have to resort to terrible acts. When society no longer makes Muslims feel safe or welcome, you give them nowhere else to go but the arms of radical Islam, because they start becoming the only people who will accept them. You don't get to be mad and pretend to care about the victims of these attacks when you are actively participating in that very same kind of thinking that caused this man to become frustrated and act out and harm people.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2016, 06:58:11 PM »

Now, I am one who will say our community has problems, and will give answers as to how I think our community can go back to the way it was pre-AQ, pre-Taliban, pre-ISIS, etc.,

But what these groups WANT is for the West and its people to turn on the Muslim community, make them feel unsafe and unwelcome in their countries to the point radicalization occurs and they say "see we ARE RIGHT, the WEST REALLY DOES HATE YOU, come join your fellow brethren", and this man's FB page proves this, when it basically showed he was afraid of the growing hostility to the community and allowed ISIS filth to take over. I am in ABSOLUTELY no way justifying this sick mans perversion of ideology and am frankly glad he got taken out when he did before he could harm anymore people.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #88 on: November 30, 2016, 09:38:39 PM »

The gun control nuts are suffering with blueballs today.

Considering that the initial Ohio State lockdown alert mentioned a shooter, if you're going to place the blame, it belongs there.  I suppose one can fault them for having their canned alert message assume that the most common reason by far for these events would definitely be the reason they'd have a situation on campus.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies