When did panic set in with Clinton camp?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:45:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  When did panic set in with Clinton camp?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When did panic set in with Clinton camp?  (Read 1449 times)
TC 25
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 28, 2016, 01:13:47 PM »

Going hand-in-hand with my previous topic, when did the Clinton camp realize things were seriously awry?

I would love to hear an inside account of what took place in the Clinton bunker between 7 pm ET, when the projection of a 320-350 EV win was prevalent, to 11 PM or midnight, when defeat was imminent.
philly09

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 05:17:40 PM »

Didn't work on it, but I can tell you that the panic set in after 9:30, when PA had yet to be called.
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 06:06:53 PM »

There's a great in-depth thread on AAD that covers this. IMO, panic set in the weekend before when Obama was dispatched to Detroit of all places. There is no question that the Clinton camp started getting some ominous signs around Tuesday afternoon. Some may have been hopeful, but at least one person in the leadership knew by 8:30pm CST
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 06:09:19 PM »

I started to panic when it was clear things were going horribly wrong in Wisconsin...at that time I still thought Michigan and Pennsylvania would still go to Clinton narrowly. Without WI, however, she would have still lost 270-268 (or 269-269 tie because we didn't know ME-02 yet) even with a win in MI and PA.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 06:12:12 PM »
« Edited: November 30, 2016, 12:11:17 AM by Lincoln Republican »

My guess, panic was building from bad to worse all during the evening.

Campaign officials even had the broadcasts  turned off.

Rather crude of them I must say.

But panic had to be building when Florida was strong for Trump, when North Carolina was looking good for Trump, especially when Pennsylvania was looking good for Trump, and when the vaunted so called Blue Wall, which was supposed to be impregnable, started crumbling, and they were losing Michigan and Wisconsin.  

They knew at that point it was game over, even with New York and California.

Myself, I wsasn't panicking, I was celebrating.  Smiley

Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 06:20:36 PM »

I knew it was over when FOX called WI for Johnson, because that meant WI would probably go Trump, and if he got WI he would more than likely get PA and/or MI.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 06:38:38 PM »

I read multiple sources that said the Clinton camp thought they had it in the bag until 9pm EST.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 06:40:35 PM »

I knew it was over when FOX called WI for Johnson, because that meant WI would probably go Trump, and if he got WI he would more than likely get PA and/or MI.

FOX called Wisconsin for Johnson?  What?

FOX would have lost any credibility it had.
philly09

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 06:58:21 PM »

There's a great in-depth thread on AAD that covers this. IMO, panic set in the weekend before when Obama was dispatched to Detroit of all places. There is no question that the Clinton camp started getting some ominous signs around Tuesday afternoon. Some may have been hopeful, but at least one person in the leadership knew by 8:30pm CST

What's AAD?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 06:59:44 PM »

FOX called Wisconsin for Johnson?  What?

Ron Johnson?
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 07:29:14 PM »

The second I saw IN and KY immediately called for Trump I knew I was going to be in for a long night. I started losing hope when NC and FL were called for Trump. I knew it was over when FOX called Wisconsin for Trump. 
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 07:32:17 PM »

What's AAD?

Atlas After Dark
TC 25
Rookie
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 11:53:33 PM »

Where is this AAD thread?
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2016, 03:48:45 AM »

Right about now.....
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 06:22:51 AM »

When I read Michigan was too close to call, I knew we were in for some surprise. Probably around that time.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2016, 08:25:47 AM »

Probably around 8 PM. Though some were certainly worried after seeing Kentucky results (not that she lost the state, but the wild swing of whites for Trump).
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2016, 09:06:47 AM »

FOX called Wisconsin for Johnson?  What?

Ron Johnson?

Yes.
BL53931
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2016, 11:04:29 PM »

I got a feeling early on that things were not going to plan. I expected Trump to win KY but when I saw the margin he was getting and that IN went for him so early I knew something was wrong.
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2016, 11:25:29 PM »

Up until I saw returns from FL, OH, an NC trending in Trump's direction, I didn't see him winning.  IMO, the networks were slow to call those three states, but it was clear to me that the Florida 100K vote lead was holding, that the 200K+ lead was growing, and that once Trump pulled ahead in NC, his lead could only grow.  I know that Trump had to break the firewall, and it was too early to know about WI, MI, and PA at that point even though they had not been called.  But not yet being called was not much solace for Trump, as VA was not called early, and Clinton took the state by 200K+, so early no-calls were not necessarily a cause for hope or despair.

What I did feel with the solid leads/indicators in FL, OH, and NC was, yes, Trump would come close and lose, but the Republicans were clearly retaining a solid margin in the House and just might squeak by with only three losses in the Senate.

When Johnson was declared the winner in the WI Senate race, I know that the Senate would remain Republican and that maybe Trump could come out ahead.

What was clear from 8 PM CST to me was that Trump could not win the popular vote, as he could not withstand the inevitable 4,000,000 Clinton margin in CA.

Hand any of OH, NC, and FL not gone to Trump, it was clearly over for him, though it turned out he could have lost any one of them and still exceeded 269.  However, if he had lost any of them, he would not likely have carried any of WI, MI, or PA.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2016, 04:24:36 PM »

Cheer up, folks! All we need to do is work -- -and work -- and work.... no time for complaints, but make sure to put on that theatrical, pain-hiding smile as you earn your right to survive in the new high-tech feudalism of Donald Trump's America which will be greater than it has ever been. Don't concern yourself with pay -- all that matters is that the Right People get whatever they want, for they have become arbiters of truth and justice in the new America.

[/satire]
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2016, 05:06:28 PM »

Please don't try this ever again.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2016, 08:58:52 PM »

I was not in a Clinton war-room, but I was in a Dem Party Boiler room on E-night. The mood was... set by the fact that the state's slate got absolutely MASSACRED, and that was apparent very early on.

We tuned into the national news at about 8:30 Eastern. I knew something was up when WI was too close to call.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies