Stein Misses PA Recount Deadline, Says PA State Department.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:21:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Stein Misses PA Recount Deadline, Says PA State Department.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Stein Misses PA Recount Deadline, Says PA State Department.  (Read 1846 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2016, 08:38:35 PM »

If there are large voter discrepancies found in Wisconsin and Michigan, then it won't matter. No one expected this to change the results.

Edit: Although I'd like a better source than the Washington Examiner please.

What are these large voter discrepancies that justify an expensive effort to determine whether Trump won a state by 27000 or 28000 votes?

Why should we care about semantics when Donald Trump never has? This is all about political theatre. The more we can delegitimize this monster, the better.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2016, 09:13:31 PM »

I think they van recycle all those "Re-defeat Bush" T-shirts from 2004 to make "Re-defeat Trump" shirts.

But Trump never lost.

Clinton lost.

You missed the point.

Bush II lost the popular vote as did Trump so both were "defeated". 

I fully realized that was the point, however, I did not want to leave the impression that I viewed Trump as the loser of the election.

I don't think you not replying would have left such an impression.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2016, 01:33:30 AM »

This is basically just a ploy for attention. These recounts aren't going anywhere and Stein knows this.

They are potentially the start of a movement (from the left) to de-legitimize Trump in much the same way the GOP tried to de-legitimize Obama. Spun rightwingnut-talkradio style, this becomes a "Trump didn't really win" meme to dog him with for the next 4-8 years. That it isn't technically true wouldn't matter, it would provide a drumbeat for the anti-Trump faithful.

The #NeverTrump crowd is going to eat up anything that supports their narrative. This whole recount saga is ridiculous and a waste of time, but it doesn't matter for the people who want to believe that President Trump is illegitimate. It doesn't matter for the people who are currently protesting and disrupting.

As you allude to, conservatives were criticized for taking much the same tack throughout the Obama Administration. Now that the shoe's on the other foot, liberals are resorting to the same coping mechanisms.

News flash: it worked. American voters cared more about what they wanted to feel than they did about pesky things like truth, reality, history or fact. If the Dems can motivate their base with gut-level appeals the way the GOP did, it may work out quite well for them in the short-term.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2016, 11:55:42 AM »

This is basically just a ploy for attention. These recounts aren't going anywhere and Stein knows this.

They are potentially the start of a movement (from the left) to de-legitimize Trump in much the same way the GOP tried to de-legitimize Obama. Spun rightwingnut-talkradio style, this becomes a "Trump didn't really win" meme to dog him with for the next 4-8 years. That it isn't technically true wouldn't matter, it would provide a drumbeat for the anti-Trump faithful.

The #NeverTrump crowd is going to eat up anything that supports their narrative. This whole recount saga is ridiculous and a waste of time, but it doesn't matter for the people who want to believe that President Trump is illegitimate. It doesn't matter for the people who are currently protesting and disrupting.

As you allude to, conservatives were criticized for taking much the same tack throughout the Obama Administration. Now that the shoe's on the other foot, liberals are resorting to the same coping mechanisms.

News flash: it worked. American voters cared more about what they wanted to feel than they did about pesky things like truth, reality, history or fact. If the Dems can motivate their base with gut-level appeals the way the GOP did, it may work out quite well for them in the short-term.

The poor form maintained by prominent Democrats in the campaign sure didn't help their cause, and we'll see if it helps them now. I'm certainly interested in legitimate criticism of Donald Trump, speaking as someone who reluctantly voted for him. Fake issues like muh popular vote prevent any such criticism from coming across.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2016, 12:31:15 PM »

The poor form maintained by prominent Democrats in the campaign sure didn't help their cause, and we'll see if it helps them now. I'm certainly interested in legitimate criticism of Donald Trump, speaking as someone who reluctantly voted for him. Fake issues like muh popular vote prevent any such criticism from coming across.

I don't understand why we can't have an honest discussion about whether or not the electoral college should continue to exist. Just because it's the system we currently have and have always had doesn't mean it's a good system. Any talk about abolishing the electoral college would, of course, not apply to the results of this election, since it's over. However, forgive me if I'm showing how little of a traditionalist I am, but we shouldn't be so opposed to changing our electoral system just because we haven't done so up to this point.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies